rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Question Vanishing Changes in Library Metadata

Hi Kovid,

Infrastructure:
.4.83 under XP.SP2 (german) with PRS-505, newest firmware

I have the following problem (I can't reproduce it, because I always saw the change only when it already happened):

- I import books (rtf, pdf, whatever) to the library
- I change the metadata from the "guessed one" to the correct one
- [I do some things like plug and unplug device, copy stuff to device etc.)

=> All of a sudden, all the metadata (only in the library, not the device) is changed back to the original (guessed) ones. Inconvenient.

Any ideas?
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's weird. I cant think of anything that would cause this to happen. Try the following:

1. Add a book
2. Change the metadata
3. Sort on the titles (i.e. by clicking the word title)
4. Now see if the metadata has changed back to the guessed version
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
rasbadar
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Dear Kovid,

<praise>
thank you so much for your quick anwer. THAT is the kind of service that some companies that charge huge amounts of money for SLAs should provide. Kudos!
</praise>

Concernimg my problem: I'll try this tonight at home (still at work) and let you know the result(s).

kind regards

ras
Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
rasbadar
Enthusiast

Hi Kovid,

i tried to reproduce - no avail.
I added files, changed metadata, converted, copied to device, sorted and re-sorted....

The problem did not occur again.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
ras
Old 09-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to hear it.
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
The closest I've seen to this is that when I make changes while a filter is being used and then cancel the search, calibre doesn't always show the changes in the original view unless I quit and restart it. No data gets lost, it just confuses itself briefly
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
The closest I've seen to this is that when I make changes while a filter is being used and then cancel the search, calibre doesn't always show the changes in the original view unless I quit and restart it. No data gets lost, it just confuses itself briefly
You can force a refresh by sorting on some column.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Thanks, hadn't noticed that yet, I do try to avoid changing the sorting in general though due to the slowness on my machine (about 10-15 secs or so)
simond is offline   Reply With Quote