Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Change Font TYPE in Kindle App

Dear all,

is there any way to do this, change the standard font in Kindle for iOS... I've read about a method for Android (all these apps apparently use system fonts) but I haven't found a way to do any changes to them on the iPad. Also I remember the fonts not being retina ready at the time iPad 3 came out so it is possible that Amazon uses their own font, but I couldn't find anything so far...
Any suggestions (I would prefer Palatino)?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you're jail broken, maybe try to snoop around inside the app using iFile? Fonts are easily identifiable. The Kindle App indeed looks stale and ugly on ipad 3 so I uninstalled it.
tanteoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Actually, I have found a way to change fonts in the Kindle app, and it's less complicated than what I assumed... Downside is, it affects the system Georgia font (which is the one used by Kindle), so no more Georgia in iBooks and other apps that use it... Here's how to proceed:
1. Jailbreak (who would have thought...)
2. Install the free app Bytafont via Cydia (respring! if it doesnt happen automatically)
3. browse for a suitable font from within, download via Cydia (you will be redirected to the appropriate package)
4. Completely restart Kindle app aaaand... done, all of your books will be displayed with the new font instead of Georgia...

The hack is reversible (and the number of new fonts is only limited to the Cydia selection), just make sure you uninstall Bytafont AFTER restoring the Georgia font...

Now if only there were actually legible fonts on Cydia... (there is a method of building your own font package and applying it but it seems less hassle-free than using Bytafont, unfortunately, the developers currently dont accept suggestions for new font packages, I will check occasionally and hope to get CMU Serif and the Tex variety of Palatino on there)...
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very helpful suggestion!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Thank you!
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your most welcome...
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Dear all,

is there any way to do this, change the standard font in Kindle for iOS... I've read about a method for Android (all these apps apparently use system fonts)
I've searched google but can't find how to do it with Android.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Dear all,

is there any way to do this, change the standard font in Kindle for iOS... I've read about a method for Android (all these apps apparently use system fonts) but I haven't found a way to do any changes to them on the iPad. Also I remember the fonts not being retina ready at the time iPad 3 came out so it is possible that Amazon uses their own font, but I couldn't find anything so far...
Any suggestions (I would prefer Palatino)?
Yes, there is a way. Use the Aa menu and change the font. Simple really.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iOS 13, which ships this Thursday, will let you add fonts:

Quote:
Custom fonts
You can now install custom fonts and use them in your favorite apps.
Manage fonts
Easily see and manage the fonts you’ve installed right in Settings.
App Store
Fonts will be available from the App Store, making it easy to find and install them.
https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13/features/

I’ve been using the beta but have not seen any signs of this feature so far. But I’ll be interested to see what Thursday brings, and will check App Store then (and update my mini, which remains on 12.4.1 until then).

It isn’t clear from the description whether BYO fonts are supported or if you have to purchase them from App Store, or what prices will be charged, or how open the font marketplace is.

I expect apps will need an update to take advantage of this. Hopefully at least some of Apple’s own apps will support it on Thursday.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-17-2019 at 10:17 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Of course...another approach would be to librate the kindle book from DRM, then read the book in any of the many app choices that let you pick fonts
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
iOS 13, which ships this Thursday, will let you add fonts:

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13/features/

I’ve been using the beta but have not seen any signs of this feature so far. But I’ll be interested to see what Thursday brings, and will check App Store then (and update my mini, which remains on 12.4.1 until then).

It isn’t clear from the description whether BYO fonts are supported or if you have to purchase them from App Store, or what prices will be charged, or how open the font marketplace is.

I expect apps will need an update to take advantage of this. Hopefully at least some of Apple’s own apps will support it on Thursday.
Fonts is in the General Settings in the beta. You have to download the font from the App Store before you see any new fonts though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The font feature will arrive with 13.1, which will show up September 24.

I’m not seeing the update to 13 yet. Given the accelerated release of 13.1, I wonder if it will show up.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-19-2019 at 03:34 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote