Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sony vs Barns and Nobels vs Amazon

Ok, I will most likely start a big argument here but here goes. There is no one best reader for all people, which is best for you is determined by what you want. Some ereaders excell at different things and each reader has some things that stand out. What is your analysis of the feature that make an ereader stand out, among them include:

Nook - The good: has better interface than either the Kindle or Sony, in store tech support (try to go to an amazon store or Sony, amazon does not have stores and while sony does have stores they are fairly rare unlike barns and nobels stores), has glow light. The ugly: No keyboard model, some people like keyboards.

Sony - The good: Has a public library feature which will directly connect you to a public library in your area. The ugly: Cost more than either a nook or a kindle, no keyboard model.

Kindle - Has more different models available then either nooks or sonys, Amazon has built a reputation for great tech support, a starting price kindle costs less then either a nook or sony. The ugly: No place where you can walk in and talk to tech support.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Do you have a question? And, by the way, it is "Barnes and Noble", not "Barns and Nobels".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
For me it's the Sony, even though I hate supporting their philosophy of trying to lock users into their software and store. However, the community support for the Sony is awesome, starting with Calibre. Just root the reader right out of the box and be able to enjoy Android apps, with MY choice of reader software, MY choice of pdf support and tons of other apps straight out of the Android market. Can't beat that. But that's me. You may have different needs.

Wiki - PRS-T1 rooting and tweaks
Wiki - PRS-T1 working apps

Come to the dark side...

edit: oh and one thing I also absolutely hate (but I think it's most of the mainstream readers) is that the battery is not (in theory/easily) user replaceable. I liked that in my Hanlin V3 I could just buy a new standard Nokia battery and be done with it.

Last edited by daviddem; 08-09-2012 at 08:11 AM.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have a PRS T1, a Kindle and my husband has Kobo Touch.

The Kindle is new to me (as of yesterday), and I think now that I have a Kindle I may want to root my T1 - I'd find it handy for the wattpad app and I like the fact that I can both keep the standard reader and put another reader (fb or coolreader) on it as well.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a PRS T1, a Kindle and my husband has Kobo Touch.

The Kindle is new to me (as of yesterday), and I think now that I have a Kindle I may want to root my T1 - I'd find it handy for the wattpad app and I like the fact that I can both keep the standard reader and put another reader (fb or coolreader) on it as well.
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to highly disagree about a physical keyboard. Not having one is not a drawback. It's actually a good thing as long as the reader has IR touch. The K4 is an example of the worst of both. No keyboard and no IR touch.

yes, the K4 is cheaper then Sony and B&N, but it's just lousy design. No touch, and not much going for it. So while you are paying less, you are getting a lot less.

I know the nook as the glow light, but I prefer my lighted case as it does not use the battery of the 650. I just replace the AAA battery as needed. I know I can get a good set of rechargeables and be set with batteries. Using the reader's batter to power the light will kill the life of the battery.

As for which reader I like better, I like the T1 better then the Kindle Touch or the nook.

Without hacking the Touch, I don't like the default font. I don't like Mobipocket.

I have not tried the nook recently, but when it first came out, the font rendering as not all that good.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-10-2012 at 07:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard

I would normally agree. My reasons for getting the K4 were different than some. I mostly got it as an "extra".

I don't mind the lack of a keyboard, because I don't find myself needing it for much (My t1 has a touch Keyboard and I don't use that too much), as I don't "do" much other than read books. But I also have 4 kids who sometimes want to read books I've bought for them, so it's win win as an extra family device. For the purposes I really needed it, the cheapest did the trick. My main reader is still my Sony.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 08-11-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I like the keyboard for having a place for my thumbs to rest, and I'm not joking! I hope to see future ereaders go back to a bit bigger bezels. A small frame around the screen is hard to hold for long stretches of time.

As for actual typing I would rank: Touch > Keyboard >> 5-way controller.

As for turning pages I prefer pushing buttons. I might like the touch screens more if (a) they simply worked better, and (b) I could customize the controls. I want to say that they need to go with more sensitive capacitive touch, but I've recently played with IR touch devices (star boards to be more precise) and know that IR can be handled much better than the ereaders do.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I like the keyboard for having a place for my thumbs to rest, and I'm not joking! I hope to see future ereaders go back to a bit bigger bezels. A small frame around the screen is hard to hold for long stretches of time.

As for actual typing I would rank: Touch > Keyboard >> 5-way controller.

As for turning pages I prefer pushing buttons. I might like the touch screens more if (a) they simply worked better, and (b) I could customize the controls. I want to say that they need to go with more sensitive capacitive touch, but I've recently played with IR touch devices (star boards to be more precise) and know that IR can be handled much better than the ereaders do.
Since you should have a cover in any case, the cover makes it easier to hold the newer readers with a smaller bezel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I prefer having the keyboard. I don't actually do much typing with it, but as mentioned previously, I like the extra thumb-space.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Oh, and the page turn buttons. I much prefer them to moving my thumb to tap or swipe on the screen.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I generally like the touch screen of my Nook Touch. But the K4 is great in that it is SO small and SO light, and I like that as well. And the bad part of a touch screen is when you accidentally turn the page. I'm getting used to pushing a button to turn the page, but it isn't as natural for me.

I don't think I'd want the space used up for a keyboard. I just don't use it often enough, and the size of the Kindle 4 is perfect.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Vala
Enthusiast
Vala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1
I have tested all the above in the stores. My first reader was/is the Sony PRS-300 and it still works. I wish Sony had the buttons like the 300 uses, for the T1 instead of the touch screen. I am still trying to get used to using the touch screen instead of using the T1's buttons.

It is quite a step up from the 300 to the T1 and I prefer it. Much clearer screen and easier to read.

I could not do a Kindle because I did not want to get tied to Amazon for books.

The con: The T1 has to wait 10 minutes to go to sleep or power it down, if I am reading and I have to toss it back into it's case real fast. I am constantly powering it down to put it down when reading while being a passenger in the car. Otherwise the screen will get touched and pages will flip.

I do not need a keyboard and I think there is a touch one on the Sony, just have not used it yet.

PRS-T1
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Vala
Enthusiast
Vala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1
Oh I forgot, the T1 I bought was on sale and was far cheaper than Barnes and Noble.
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
People focus on the hardware part too much, in my opinion.

While having an ereader with nice capabilities it's important, being able to find good books in the online store its important as well. Unless you're going to read books without copyright restrictions, the online bookstore plays a big role.

My 1st ereader was a Nook, 1st gen. I was thrilled with it until I discover few or none of my IT books were available on B&N . To make things worse, it had no landscape mode.

Since then, I pick one with the strongest and biggest collection; here in USA that's Amazon, so I'm talking about the Kindle.

My preference of books may or may not be the same for you so your choice can be different as well.

Last edited by jocampo; 08-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote