Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seen throughout ONE PLACE: Sony Reader ads

Today I came through the Gallery Place Metro station in Washington, DC, and saw a full-sized advertisement for the Sony reader... and I thought, "That's cool, I've never seen one of those ads around town."

And then I saw another.

And another.

And another and another and another. Look, there's two of them, side by side.

All in all, I know I saw more than a dozen identical ads for the Sony reader. In ONE Metro station.

Now, call me crazy, say I don't know advertising... but it seems to me that such an ad might get slightly better exposure if it was placed in a dozen or more Metro stations, as opposed to a dozen or more ads in one station. (And no, I haven't seen any such ads at other stations that I pass through, 2 of which are Metro Center and Union Station, among the busiest stations in the system.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very neat to hear that!

My thought is the opposite, though... repetition is very important to motivate purchases, especially with an unfamiliar item. I've heard that for print ads like Magazines and newspapers, so I'm guessing it's true for this. And you certainly get an audience likely to have a need for one, riding transportation all the time.

But I sure do agree... they should put it in other stations also! Wouldn't it be neat if they could flood all plane and train areas, so that most travelers knew about the Reader!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
jasonrak
jasonrak began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Digital Reader 505
Try Port Authority in NYC - its almost overwhelming the amount of ads!
Jason
jasonrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, flooding a single place with ads would make more sense if the ads were mostly different, say, showing different aspects of the reader... instead of the same reader posed against a stack of books (how exciting!).

It also wouldn't hurt if the ads prominently stated where you could get one!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
The only place I ever see ads for the Reader is on my commuter train. I agree, the ads would be more effective if they were placed on other public transport (not just the commuter rail, but the El and buses), and if they said where the device could be bought. Also, the ads on my train are for the 500, not the 505. Are the ads that you see up-to-date with regards to hardware?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Now that you mention it, those ads I saw may have been for the PRS-500, at that.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I have just flown in from LAX Terminal 2 and they have them everywhere, in the bottom of every tray you dump your stuff in and every one of the rolling ads is an ad for the PRS-505, my problem?

I waited until I got to the airport to buy and and guess what YOU CANT FREAKING BUY THEM IN TERMINAL 2!

I wish I had bought mine in best buy and just took the hit on the sales tax
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You may not be able to buy them in the LAX terminals, but you can in DFW.

There's a Sony vending machine at gate C11 (probably others as well, I didn't wander that far afield while waiting for my plane yesterday) that had one left in it, along with headphones and PSPs, both device and games. Imagine, buying $300 devices from a vending machine!?! Who'd'a thunk it?

If the Sony folks are reading: That machine is due for a restock.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I had a chance to get another look today: The ads to feature the PRS-505 (silver), and underneath the ad (in relatively small size) are the names of stores where you can get them. I thought it was funny, as one of the stores, CompUSA, has recently vacated the D.C. area.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You may not be able to buy them in the LAX terminals, but you can in DFW.
Dallas is a bit of a trek from LAX, especially after I had spent 2 hours in security reading big billboards advertising an unattainable slice of geek pie.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote