Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
enrigonz
enrigonz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire |iPad 2
Question Why Root a Fire?

Can anyone that has done this please explain what are the major benefits of Rooting a Kindle Fire? What are the Apps that we can get with a Rooted Fire vs a stock Fire?

Please be specific, don't just tell me you gain access to the Android Market. Tell me what App is worth Rooting the Fire for. An app the Amazon doesn't offer, etc. Perhaps is not an App, is some kind of functionality, please share your experience.

TIA
enrigonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Stock ROM...

Major benefit? I know you said not to just say Android Market, but truth is that the Amazon App Store is known to have very old versions of apps because developers tend to forget about it. So, having the Android Market, you have a piece of mind of being able to always get the newest version of something and not have to worry about missing out on crucial security updates like loopholes.

There is no real benefit to it, other than you don't have to side load your stuff anymore, and you can buy the apps on that market.

Most of the apps don't even need root, but a third party launcher is recommended for better eye candy.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Enrigonz,

I full well know that the AAS is limited but many alternative app stores have been provided to us on this forum and I haven't be unable to do anything so far on the device within my current knowledge base. I'm sure some people are alot closer to unlocking the total capability/power of a device but most of us are novices continuing to learn little by little. I myself find a sense of satisifaction in that.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't like to learn about rooting but bricking a device isn't something I'm willing to risk.

Something tells me there is lots to learn to keep me occupied with even a greater satisifaction with the device and without rooting it. Just reading through this and the xda developer's forum with what I've learned has me personally wondering why Amazon only charged $200 for this device. I haven't paid for a single thing yet beyond that except a case for the KF, nothing even their Prime membership which may be worthwhile to some. Guess their losing money on some of us even without rooting.

Last edited by robertc88; 01-21-2012 at 02:01 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Just reading through this and the xda developer's forum has me personally wondering why Amazon only charged $200 for this device.
Because they can make about $100 from people buying apps and Kindle books.

The biggest mistake Amazon made with it was the way they designed the bar at the bottom. It made for a better experience for their stock apps, but has been a nightmare for developers and people who have to buy "Kindle Fire Edition" apps because of it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
The biggest reason to root imo is the google ecosystem including market. With the exception of the calendar (and its readily doable as well) all the other apps work very well after a simple root
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
The less Google the better. I'm glad Amazon blocks google's apps.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
If you root it, you can download different book reading apps. That might be worth it enough for some people.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
you don't have to root to download other reading apps or even to access the android store.

I don't think there's a good reason to root the Fire. If you just want an android tablet without the amazon ecosystem, there are many that offer better hardware for a comparable price.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
If you root it, you can download different book reading apps. That might be worth it enough for some people.
You can sideload plenty if eading apps without rooting:
nook, mantano, overdrive, greader, Aldilko, etc
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I think the best option for thise that dobt want to root but still have a little tablet experience is to use go launcher and switch back and forth from amazon to tablet style as needed on the fly.
If you don't check the box to select which launcher to use as default you can switch on the fly.
The fire is great for what it is for $200.
Those that are rooters will get a different tablet with sd card and mic and camera anyways.
The fire is just another experiment for them to see what they can crack.
With the frequency of AZ updates unrooting the roots its going to be mire work for the casual User to try to root than not.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The Fire does everything it needs to. Rooting allows Google framework and the Android market to work. You can also remove default apps you won't be using as well. That pretty much all it does.

You can sideload apps from other markets. We have a thread here with links. I really see no reason for it. I do use Go! Launcher without rooting to have widgets and a Android looking home screen. It works well just wallpaper changes to default when you take it out of sleep.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I think the best option for thise that dobt want to root but still have a little tablet experience is to use go launcher and switch back and forth from amazon to tablet style as needed on the fly.
Could you elaborate? Is it possible to turn the fire into a tablet with gadgets then switch back to the amazon interface on demand? Which launcher?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Could you elaborate? Is it possible to turn the fire into a tablet with gadgets then switch back to the amazon interface on demand? Which launcher?
It's called Go! Launcher and it's available at 1Mobile. You just put a shortcut to the Default Launcher on the home screen and on Default Interface you add a shortcut to Go! Launcher. anytime you hit Home it will ask you which launcher to choose from. It's quick and easy to switch back and forth.

Go! Launcher will give you a normal looking Android home screens and you can have Widgets!

The only thing is the wallpaper changes back and forth each time you bring it out of sleep to Amazon's lock screens papers
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
The less Google the better. I'm glad Amazon blocks google's apps.
What have your problems been with Google? Just curious as so many seem to like the Google stuff. I don't use it so I have no bias one way or the other. Just wondering what makes you dislike it.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's called Go! Launcher and it's available at 1Mobile. You just put a shortcut to the Default Launcher on the home screen and on Default Interface you add a shortcut to Go! Launcher. anytime you hit Home it will ask you which launcher to choose from. It's quick and easy to switch back and forth.

Go! Launcher will give you a normal looking Android home screens and you can have Widgets!

The only thing is the wallpaper changes back and forth each time you bring it out of sleep to Amazon's lock screens papers
That was easy. Thank you. Just reinforces the idea that it isn't necessary to root a Fire.