Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #871
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
Sorry, I’m not generally going to have as quick a response time as you do. It’s nice, but it’s not something I can manage all the time myself.
No problem--I appreciate what time you can spare.

Quote:
That makes sense, but does that mean that there’s no way to call for the image to appear in the epub, but after the summary titlepage image (other than manually adding it afterwards)? As you note, one generally doesn’t want the ffnet thumbnail as the cover; but one might want to see it.
Not at this time. Epub cover convention is pretty rigid to make it work on all ereaders. I'll a note to my list to consider a way to include the cover image, but not as the cover image.

Quote:
You’re welcome. One of these days I might check out the other versions just to see how they work.
IMHO, the plugin version is the best one anyway.

Quote:
Does the default override anyway? Aside from finding left justified easier to read (which I can specify with this, or Convert books), some stories with poetry, lyrics, etc… shouldn’t have the entire body in a given justification, which I don’t know how to retain using that parameter.
One of the things FFDL does--that I consider a major feature--is force relatively consistent formatting on the text.

There are so many different formatting styles available in HTML, and they vary so much from site to site, author to author, even story to story, that it's impossible to programmitically determine which should be kept (poetry, in-line correspondence, etc) and which are just funky or even bad formatting from the source.

However, if you have specific examples that demonstrate special formatting that is consistent for at least an entire site, I'll consider trying to do something special to preserve it.

Quote:
You mentioned taking metadata requests: Could you add support for isolating what AO3 calls “Category” on the story page itself, and “Relationships, pairings, orientations” in the symbols key (F/F, Gen, F/M, Multi, Other, M/M) as its own metadata source? Currently, it’s lumped in with extra tags, but that means that I can end up with a field that says, for example: “Angst, Insanity, truly bad and wrong, F/M,” which is less useful for sorting purposes. There was a brief period where I could call it as “Category” some months ago, but now that pulls Fandom on AO3. I don’t want to a custom column set to “Text, with fixed set of permitted values”, because there are other classes of relationships I want to include from other sites without adding additional columns. If it’s not too greedy, I’d also like to request counts for kudos, comments, bookmarks, and hits on AO3.
AO3 has a lot of metadata and it was mapped with varying success into the existing buckets. Now that we have this new mechanism, I have no problem introducing additional, and even overlapping, extra_valid_entries.

I'll look in more depth before I implement it, but right off, I can see adding new extra_valid_entries for ao3categories, ao3fandoms, and ao3freefromtags. That's in addition to--and duplicating data from--the existing category and genre lists, so we don't break things for existing users. Adding the various counts should be trivial, too.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #872
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This version adds new extra_valid_entries: for AO3: fandoms, freefromtags, ao3categories, comments, kudos, hits & bookmarks. It's ao3categories to differentiate from the existing category.

It also fixes a bug effecting all sites in stories with more than one author.

This has been added to the defaults.ini in this version:
Code:
[archiveofourown.org]

## AO3 adapter defines a few extra metadata entries.
extra_valid_entries:fandoms,freefromtags,ao3categories,comments,kudos,hits,bookmarks
fandoms_label:Fandoms
freefromtags_label:Freeform Tags
ao3categories_label:AO3 Categories
comments_label:Comments
kudos_label:Kudos
hits_label:Hits
bookmarks:Bookmarks

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-01-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #873
CyberCrisis
CyberCrisis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Jim seem to be having problems with yourfanfiction.com FFDL seem to no longer be able to recognize new urls. It will updated the ones form book already made but when you try to put in a new one it does nothing.

The urls is http://yourfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2805
Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #874
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@CyberCrisis

Use: http://www.yourfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2805

Note the www. We usual allow both when the site does, so I presume that yourfanfiction.com didn't work without the www. when the adapter was first written. I'll get it to accept both in the next version.

Update: Okay, that's not exactly true. Looks like I broke the 'www.' add/remove code a bit with the last update. Looking at fixing it now.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 09-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #875
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version with additional fixes.

This version fixes:
  • Handling of absence/presence of www. in URLs. (yourfanfiction.com problem).
  • Fix dokuga.com using metadata for temp var.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-02-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #876
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Version 1.6.11 - 26 Sep 2012
  • Fix bbcode'd summary issue with fimfiction.net.
  • Fix get urls from web page bugs.
  • Fix bug with custom_column_settings 'a' when no data.
  • Add fanfictiondownloader_macmenuhack.txt 'feature' for Mac users with crash issue.
  • Improved include_in_* handling.
  • Change 'version' metadata to plugin version.
  • Add replace_metadata by metadata key feature.
  • Additional site-specific metadata for AO3.
  • Fix 'www.' handling for input URLs.
  • Fix bug with dokuga.com.
  • Fix extratags bug.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #877
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
Oooh! I love what's been done with regular expression metadata stuff. Being able to specify which metadata bits should have changes is excellent, especially as we keep adding more metadata that can be downloaded. (And thanks to seabream for sharing a sample from personal.ini. I'd love to see more sharing of personal.ini stuff as I imagine many of us are making the same sorts of changes and duplicating effort as far as changing "Harry P. to Harry Potter" and other things like that. Also gives me ideas for tweaks to my own.)

+ + +

On a different topic . . . file formats. I prefer having most fanfic I download in both epub and mobi format as I've been known to read fic on Kindle, Nook, and iPad because I'm a geek like that or indecisive or something. (I also sometimes have other formats if someone's made a pretty PDF available or whatever. But mostly I use mobi and epub.)

I usually download epub using this plug-in. I have been known to later do a search to find all fic where I have epub and not mobi and then go and update those fics (without updating metadata or covers) and grab the mobi version. Which means I'm downloading them twice. Other times I've used calibre to convert epub to mobi.

What I'm curious about is: what's the fastest and best way to do this? Converting within calibre? Downloading twice via plug-in from AO3 or whatever? (Is there a better way? I doubt it would save much in the way of resources to have an option to grab both mobi & epub, but then I'm not clear on what all happens with the plug-in behind the scenes so could be wrong there.)
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #878
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
(And thanks to seabream for sharing a sample from personal.ini. I'd love to see more sharing of personal.ini stuff as I imagine many of us are making the same sorts of changes and duplicating effort as far as changing "Harry P. to Harry Potter" and other things like that. Also gives me ideas for tweaks to my own.)
My own personal.ini is actually very simple. Leaving out user/password blocks:
Spoiler:
Code:
# Library

[defaults]
is_adult: true

## I uncomment this if I do update on more than a few stories.
#slow_down_sleep_time:1

include_subject_tags: extratags, genre, category, status

strip_chapter_numbers:true
add_chapter_numbers:true

[epub]
include_tocpage: false
include_titlepage: true
include_logpage: true
logpage_entries: dateCreated,datePublished,dateUpdated,numChapters,numWords,status,title,author,category,genre,rating,warnings,description

include_images:true
keep_summary_html:true
make_firstimage_cover:true

I always download epub and the only custom columns I fill with FFDL are chapter count, word count and last updated time.

I do, however, use it with Reading Lists extensively to keep my three devices sync'ed. More on that below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
What I'm curious about is: what's the fastest and best way to do this? Converting within calibre? Downloading twice via plug-in from AO3 or whatever? (Is there a better way? I doubt it would save much in the way of resources to have an option to grab both mobi & epub, but then I'm not clear on what all happens with the plug-in behind the scenes so could be wrong there.)
Definitely converting within calibre, IMO. You'll get much nicer mobi that way that can contain images and has correct chapter markings. I've never directly compared the time spent vs downloading again, but I expect it's similar while not wasting bandwidth.

I keep both epub and mobi around for my nook and kindle. I use the the Reading List features to keep my 'to read' on 'add to nook', 'add to kindle', and 'add to droid' lists, plus configuring the lists to auto-sync to my devices.

That, combined with the 'Delete other formats' option of FFDL, means calibre automatically converts my new epubs to mobis and transfer them to the device whenever I plug in my kindle. I have 'u' and 'r' hotkeys set to the 'Add to "To Read" and "Send to Device" Lists' and 'Remove from "To Read" and add to "Send to Device" Lists' FFDL options.

There's a slightly out of date explanation of my process here. I've optimized my reading flow a bit since then, but it's still a workable version.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #879
amit_ec
amit_ec began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello, fanfiction downloader is not updating books existing in the library for fanfiction.net. Sorry, that I can't provide more detail, but I'm not as techno savvy as most members in this thread.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #880
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_ec View Post
Hello, fanfiction downloader is not updating books existing in the library for fanfiction.net. Sorry, that I can't provide more detail, but I'm not as techno savvy as most members in this thread.
URLs?

Update: I'm able to download new and update existing ffnet stories in my library. Without more details, I can't do anything more.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 09-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #881
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hey there Jimm, by now pretty much every feature I suggested a few months ago when I found your plugin have been implemented in one way or another except being able to customize the title-template via the configuration file. What I mean by that is the "<Title> by <Author>", is there any way that I am not aware of to simply make it "<h1><Title></h1>" without making changes to the code directly? If that was possible I could just get rid of my private branch entirely and be done with constantly pulling and merging your updates.

Thanks so much!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #882
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, the current feature that strips/adds chapter numbers is pretty awesome, if now you could add the ability to simply add chapter numbers ONLY to the table of contents and remove them from the chapters themselves that would be great too.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #883
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
Also, the current feature that strips/adds chapter numbers is pretty awesome, if now you could add the ability to simply add chapter numbers ONLY to the table of contents and remove them from the chapters themselves that would be great too.
Try this version. It makes add_chapter_numbers a tri-state variable.

Code:
## Don't like the numbers at the start of chapter titles on some
## sites?  You can use strip_chapter_numbers to strip them off.  Just
## want to make them all look the same?  Strip them off, then add them
## back on with add_chapter_numbers:true.  Only want them added back
## on for Table of Contents(toc)? Use
## add_chapter_numbers:toconly.  Don't like the way it strips numbers
## or adds them back?  See chapter_title_strip_pattern and
## chapter_title_add_pattern.
strip_chapter_numbers:false

## add_chapter_numbers can be true, false or toconly
add_chapter_numbers:false
As for the title page templates, I'll look into it. Other things going going this weekend, though.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-02-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #884
cryzed
Evangelist

Thanks, this works perfectly! If you find time to implement the HTML template variables that would be absolutely great, thank you .
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #885
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Jimm,

please check these stories. I did an "update epub always" on my library and got the following errors:

list index out of range:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/237304

cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/321363
http://archiveofourown.org/works/163104

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'find':
http://www.squidge.org/peja/cgi-bin/....php?sid=35760
http://www.squidge.org/peja/cgi-bin/....php?sid=47146
Closed Thread