Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
sbell
Meh
sbell began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, ipad, kindle
Ordered List issues on Nook Color

I'm having a huge issue with the Nook Color, which is that numbered ordered lists will only go 1–9 and after that it's 1 again (9 times), then 2 (9 times), etc. I have 345 linked endnotes at the back, so it's a huge problem for someone who's going to click on reference number 212 and be taken to a page full of 1s. Also, the decimal is removed now.

This never happened with my classic Nook. In fact, that was the most reliable reader I tested on, but I am having huge issues with the Nook Color.

Heck, that's only the most important issue with the Nook Color I have now, but there are others. Fonts don't embed properly if using italic or bold (works fine on iPad), line-height needs to be defined for <span>, <em>, and <strong>.

Any help with the numbered list issue would be appreciated.
sbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Did you test the book on another reader?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
sbell
Meh

Yeah, it works perfectly fine on the iPad, my older Nook (e-ink), ADE, even on Kindle. I've been designing and creating ebooks for two years and never have I had any issue like this until the Nook Color. Something about that reader is really messing with my files, which is too bad, because I was a huge fan of the Nook. Other issues with the nook color are:

<em> and <strong> tags need to be fully defined like their parent style or defaults are used, meaning italic can be a point size larger or more. This is especially true with embedded fonts.

Also, embedded fonts now need to be embedded differently. Where before I could have
@font-face {
font-family: "CrimsonItalic";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url("Fonts/Crimson-Italic.otf");
}

and then define <em> as: em {font-style: italic}

Now, I need to define em as: em {font-family: "CrimsonItalic", serif; font-size: 100%; line-height: 1.35em; font-style: italic;}

I now need to pretty much put the properties of the paragraph style into the em style, because it won't take on the properties of the paragraph itself. This makes multiple paragraph styles a real pain, as you can imagine.

Now I am off track, because the HUGE elephant in the room is the numbered list issue. It's making my endnotes useless. If a reader clicks on footnote-reference 242 and gets sent to a list where everything is numbered "1" . . . well, I've just made things kind of pointless for them.

The Nook is up to date. The only other person I could find making a similar complaint about issues with the Nook was sgirsberger, whom you've actually helped before, but with a different issue from mine. I have read of people complaining about the Nook not displaying the decimal in numbered lists, which I have a problem with, too.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Out of curiosity, have you tired it with publisher defaults on in the font settings?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Obviously, the second digit is cut just as anything out of a <div>
whose style is set as {overflow: hidden}
So 1x is shown as 1, x is hidden, or overwritten by next element.
If your book shows correctly on Nook and ADE,
That means it may be a bug of the reader app on Nook Color.

To solve this problem, you can change the ordered list into
plain paragraphs leading with real numbers.

MS Word can save ordered list as HTML in different forms,
In Word 2007 up, it will be saved as <ol> in html
in Word 200-2003, it will be saved as <p>x. in html

Last edited by eping; 09-26-2011 at 12:11 AM.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
sbell
Meh

@Jim: Yeah, I've looked at it both ways on the Nook Color and it's an issue both ways.

@eping: I hadn't thought about it being an overflow issue, but that makes sense. After a lot of digging around a co-worker found out that it's actually an issue with Adobe's reader on the Nook Color. I've actually resorted to what you said, but I re-exported the endnotes from InDesign as a paragraph style and then cut and paste the endnotes from that epub file into the one I had already spent time on fixing.

The real downside is that I had finally gotten a neat little javascript to that would connect the static endnote reference numbers to their corresponding endnote in the back, but for the script to work it needs to be turned into an automated number list. That was really sweet, but Nook Color has rendered that useless and now I need to rely on running GREP in Sigil in order to do this, which has it's quirks. I swear, every time I think I got this epub stuff down some company throws a monkey wrench into my work flow and I've got to rethink everything. It's like Beta vs. VHS on meth.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please keep in mind that javascript is currently not supported on most readers and not in the specifications.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
sbell
Meh

Thanks, Toxaris. I should have been clearer and mentioned that the javascript is run in InDesign, not attached to the epub file.

However, I have been able to attach a couple of scripts to my epub files that pass validation and do not interfere with display on an ADE reader. Both scripts are to get over quirks in iBooks: one inserts empty span tags into a list of paragraph styles to allow for center alignment, the other forces iBooks to display sans-serif fonts in paragraph styles that specify it. Actually, to be honest, I haven't done the full test on that second one yet. I wrote it and it worked, but I have no idea if it will pass further validation. The first one, however, is in a couple of ebooks that did pass validation and made it to through the distributor's gauntlet and onward to the e-tailers.

Last edited by sbell; 10-07-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: clarification