Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #91
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've used no flash on a Nook ST for a year and I've noticed no screen degradation. It does hit the battery though. I wouldnt leave it on all the time.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #92
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've used no flash on a Nook ST for a year and I've noticed no screen degradation. It does hit the battery though. I wouldnt leave it on all the time.
Hmmm, consuming more battery?!!! I guess the whole point (at least one) in no-flash hack is to reserve battery (and for some, distraction of flashing every page - it doesn't really bother me). Why do you say it hits battery?!

Can you reference that thread where they reasoned about this?

BTW, in my experience, Nook has lower battery life as it runs android, as compared to others who just use old school awesome Linux.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #93
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I am still looking for that argument for and against 'no-flash/dirty screen' here on MobileRead... Why can't I find it?! oyyyy...

What is your reasoning for more battery drain when no-flash is on?!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #94
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I don't why. It just does. Admittedly I use it while browsing, reading pdfs and using spreadsheets, so the refresh might not be the cause.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A no flash option should (slightly) increase battery life, not lower it. It's reducing the number of screen refreshes, hence using less power.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #96
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A no flash option should (slightly) increase battery life, not lower it. It's reducing the number of screen refreshes, hence using less power.
My words.

Now on to my quest for discussion on screen health.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #97
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Now on to my quest for discussion on screen health.
Here is my opinion:
If there is no refreshes there is less work on a hardware side, and if there is less work, screen will have longer lifespan. Even screen lifetime is calculated in screen refreshes for example declared lifetime of E-ink Pearl Screen is equal to 10 million screen updates.

Other then killing it physically it's hard to make it lose contrast or have some work-related damage. There could be some burst "capsules" on the eInk screen but they are 110% physically created.

The 1st generation eInk screens did fade after some time(2-3weeks) but only to a specific condition where their performance stabilized and after that fade, it had no more changes over time.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #98
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
has anybody worked out how to stop the screen flashing on PW3?
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #99
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaster View Post
Other then killing it physically it's hard to make it lose contrast or have some work-related damage. There could be some burst "capsules" on the eInk screen but they are 110% physically created.

The 1st generation eInk screens did fade after some time(2-3weeks) but only to a specific condition where their performance stabilized and after that fade, it had no more changes over time.
Actually if you study how eink works, you will find that NOT doing the full-flash updates reduces contrast.

The first gen screens do not fade out. They are temperature sensitive and contrast depends heavily on how well the eink waveforms were tuned for different temperatures and oil viscosities.

Typical screens (especially older ones) operate NORMALLY at about 80% contrast ratio (20% of opposite colored particles NOT transported to the selected bead surface), when operated at the programmed speeds. Keeping the pixels selected (via the waveform) longer, achieves higher contrast (up to 100%) but at the expense of more ghosting (hard to shake the particles loose from the bead surface).

Even the Pearl eink screens do not operate at full contrast. When I got my first K3 (shortly before joining here), I did a little experiement where I drew images to the screen after drawing each line with MANY pure black and pure white repetitions. The contrast increase over the "normal" full-flash update was astounding. That means that we could add a "supercontrast" feature that redraws even a full-flash update page in a much higher contrast than we ever normally see.

The washed out displays are from kindles that have been sitting unused (with drained batteries) a long time, or that are colder than specified operating temperatures. Using them repeatedly shakes more particles loose so they can display in higher contrast. Perhaps my kindle video player could assist in exercising these pixels for you?

I have multiple K1, K2 and DX kindles, which all used the older eink technology, so I know from where I speak.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-20-2016 at 07:42 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote