Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Rusherman
Rusherman began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre ebook reader
Calibre will not accept new books.

If I run calibre from icon it looks ok but freezes when I try to add any new material. It started doing this a couple of months ago. If I use the pulldown to reboot it in debug mode it crashes with error code.
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[error 998] Invalid access to memory location (Error Code:1)

If I run it from command line in debug mode it seems to work fine and accepts new files as well as does formatting converting renaming ect. Is there anything I can do to have it run from start menu again on my pc.
Rusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Have you run the database integrity check?
A corrupted database can seem to work but act strangely.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Rusherman

Thank you for the suggestion Speakingtohe. I could not find an Integrity check button on Calibre. Windows version 0.8.3. I checked all over including under miscellaneous. I also checked the add buttons section in case it had not been moved to toolbar.

The I went to the Calibre directory and ran the calibredb.exe hoping that would do about the same thing. It did find errors and corrected them, I hope. I ran Calibre again and still will not accept new books. It just hangs there till I push cancel. I did find a long list of missing font files in the Calibre debug log. I matched it up to several messages in the forum of other people having this problem of listing a pile of missing fictitious fonts. Their problem was not solved so I suspect I am in the same boat. I will keep trying as I would like to get it back to working properly like it once did. I went to temp and deleted 400,000 0bit files left over by Calibre. It didn't make it accept books but it has helped my computer run a little better.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea what could cause the symptoms you describe, but since you say it works running from the command line, you can simply create a shortcut that runs

calibre-debug.exe -g

and put it on your desktop.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Rusherman

I did find the check library section on Calibre and ran the library check. It came out no errors. then I ran the check against database and it found some errors in missing book covers and missing book formats. They are both supposedly fixable but when I choose this option and hit the fix button, it just clears the list box and does not appear to do anything else. Anyway it was something else to check.
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusherman View Post
I did find the check library section on Calibre and ran the library check. It came out no errors. then I ran the check against database and it found some errors in missing book covers and missing book formats. They are both supposedly fixable but when I choose this option and hit the fix button, it just clears the list box and does not appear to do anything else. Anyway it was something else to check.
I think that all the fix does is remove the entries in the database that reference the missing files so that it is not reported next time around.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote