Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Gmail problem

My gmail app crashes (exits to home screen) when I hit refresh.
PS: I have a Rooted Nook (auto-nooter 2.12.25 and running system 1.1.0).
Any suggestions?
Can I reinstall gmail?

I don't want to mess it up as I understand the gmail app/account to be integral to the rooting process.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
You can try to clear the app data, using the nookcolor tools or any other tool.

If that does not work, you will probably have to re-install Gmail.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can try to clear the app data, using the nookcolor tools or any other tool.

If that does not work, you will probably have to re-install Gmail.
How do I clear the app data with nookcolor tools?

PS: I do have Root Explorer.

I'd be happy to reinstall gmail. I wasn't sure which version to use and exactly how to reinstall it.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would suggest you install ES File Explorer (free in the market).

When you launch this app, you have "Manager" in the context menu. There you can click on Gmail, and in the next window you have the option to clear the cache.

If that does not work, you need to re-install gmail. If it is installed in the data partition, you can uninstall with nookcolor tools, ES File Explorer or any other tool that manages apps. On the other hand, if it is installed in the system partition, you have to delete it using Root Explorer, you mount the system partition as read/write, then delete the file.

Afterwards, you can download the file from the internet (it's in the market) and install, just copy it to the SD card and click on it with ES File explorer to launch the installer.

Gmail App

If the file was originally in the system partition, I would recommend moving the installed file back to the system partition, though this is not a must. Basically, having an app in the system partition means that it is protected and can't be accidentally removed (you need root permissions for that).

Last edited by afv011; 03-05-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Add market reference
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
BarryR
Connoisseur

Thanks. Ggmail wouldn't uninstall (including with ES File Explorer). I added .bak to the filenames for gmail.apk and gmailprovider.apk and put the new gmail.apk 1.3 (from some honey installer zip that I found at xda) onto my SD card. I went into ES File Explorer and ran the new .apk file and got a message that there was a parsing error.

Neither appbrain or android market allow me to download the gmail file.

I then removed .bak from those file names and rebooted. I still have no gmail (though the stock email reader works).

I think my nook is otherwise working so none of this may matter.
In case there is a problem can you steer me to the right file and can I install it via adb?

If so, would it be and install command or a push? (I don't actually know the difference).
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin

Please try this using adb:

* mount the system partition read/write
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
* remove your gmail apps:
adb shell rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/GmailProvider.apk
* download the apps from here* push them to the device
adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
adb push GmailProvider.apk /system/app
* mount the system partition read-only
mount -o r,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
* reboot the device
Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Please try this using adb:

* mount the system partition read/write
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
* remove your gmail apps:
adb shell rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
adb shell rm /system/app/GmailProvider.apk
* download the apps from here* push them to the device
adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
adb push GmailProvider.apk /system/app
* mount the system partition read-only
mount -o r,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
* reboot the device
The good news is: I was able to follow these instructions and reinstalled gmail. The bad news is, it still exits to homepage upon refresh.

Also the last instruction (to change back to r/o access) gave me a "mount" is not recognized... error, but I don't think it matters because in Root Explorer the folder is listed as r/o.

Thank you very much for your help.
I may just ignore the problem until the next system update when I'll probably re-root. I also have a Clockword Recovery backup from before this occurred so I may restore from that.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I had this same issue and never was able to re-install gmail. I ended up installing K-9 Mail and that seems to work just fine. The only thing I miss is the threaded view that gmail gave me, but I don't do a whole lot of email on the NC anyway, so I'm satisfied with this solution.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin

The last command does not work because I forgot to add "adb shell" in front of it. But it is not really necessary as you are going to reboot anyway.

There is one more thing you can try, you can try to delete the gmail folder in /data/data, you should be able to do that with ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, the folder is already read/write by default, or use adb if you prefer. The folder is

/data/data/com.google.android.providers.gmail

Then reboot the device and give it another shot.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
The last command does not work because I forgot to add "adb shell" in front of it. But it is not really necessary as you are going to reboot anyway.

There is one more thing you can try, you can try to delete the gmail folder in /data/data, you should be able to do that with ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, the folder is already read/write by default, or use adb if you prefer. The folder is

I was thinking of deleting the data file but didn't know exactly which one to delete --
Well I just did it and IT WORKED!

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, thank you! I now have gmail installed again. I used root explorer and it told me it didn't install, but it did, and we seem to be functioning with no issues. Thanks so much :-)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
maxbookworm
Addict

Hmmmm... No, nevermind, it's still funky. I think I'll just uninstall it again.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

i'm having problems with gmail and the app isn't updating properly. I would like to erase the data but when i try to open up the /data folder in either Astro or ESFile Explorer it shows the /data/folder to be empty.

What am I doing wrong? Both the main gmail and youtube app are kicking me back out after a short time. Gmail seems to be especially problematic in having too many messages to download and not being to update or sync.

What should I do? And please speak simply. I'm new to this.

Thanks.
coase is offline   Reply With Quote