Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
c-otwa
c-otwa began at the beginning.

Device: none
What disadvantage does Kindle have

Well many!

For one I find it hard to read articles under strong sunlight - never mind the beach-reading.

Also, can you actually make origami out of a Kindle?

I have also googled it and a cool article comes up:

http://www.businessbecause.com/forre...-reality-check
c-otwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are having trouble reading with your Kindle in direct sunlight, then you may have a defective screen. The screen on the Kindle should allow you to read in direct sunlight. I have a 505 with the same 6" Vizplex screen as the K1 & K2 and I have no idssues reading in direct sunlight.

The biggest issue of the Kindle is that it has it's own DRMed format. Meaning if you wanted to say buy a PRS-900 or a nook or some other reader, your DRMed eBooks would not work. You are basically locked into the Kindle unless you can strip the DRM and convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Mine works fine in direct sunlight. If there is any glare I just rotate it a tiny bit and it is good to go
Want to read at the beach? Put the Kindle in a ziplock bag
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
JSWolf is right. I had a Kindle 2 that faded in direct sunlight. I returned it and the replacement was fine.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
John T.
John T. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I love my Kindle DX. However, I must say I hate the metallic sound of the text-to-speech voice. It's improved since the original version, but I still hate it.

Another cool thing would be to have a color e-ink screen, and maybe to be able to work more with the text of small pdf docs, besides the mild zoom function of landscape mode.
John T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-otwa View Post
Well many!

For one I find it hard to read articles under strong sunlight - never mind the beach-reading.

Also, can you actually make origami out of a Kindle?

I have also googled it and a cool article comes up:

http://www.businessbecause.com/forre...-reality-check
my kindle has been read at the beach many times as well as on snow fields where there is a hella lot more glare than beaches!!!

what is the article about? I'm not clicking something someone with attitude brings in.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
cathyhk
cathyhk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
diadvantage : can't print, can't highlight at Kindle for PC, can't just put pdf directly thur USB but hv to email, unable to convert ppt, colorless, ** why no back light , like those in old palm...
cathyhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyhk View Post
diadvantage : can't print, can't highlight at Kindle for PC, can't just put pdf directly thur USB but hv to email, unable to convert ppt, colorless, ** why no back light , like those in old palm...
With the new K2 2.3 firmware, you can view PDF directly on the K2. It may come out too small, but that's because most PDF are not a good size for a 6" screen.

Also, you cannot have a backlight as the light won't shine through the eink screen. Can you have a backlight on a pBook? Nope. So it's no different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
c-otwa

rcuadro, have you ever seem someone using laptops on a beach??
Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
c-otwa

definitely, actually can anyone tell me if you can read a colourful newspaper on Kindle??
Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #11
c-otwa

why did you buy??
Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
hanhan
hanhan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quite interested in this because of the business school context. The guys in the article said it was difficult to read - I'm presuming under lecture theatre lighting conditions? Anyone with any experience with this?
With the amount of case studies we read i'm almost decided on getting one, either starting a trend or will have to return it if I can't use it in lectures...
hanhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
rcuadro, have you ever seem someone using laptops on a beach??
this is supposed to be about ereaders, not laptops

Quote:
definitely, actually can anyone tell me if you can read a colourful newspaper on Kindle??
n one ever claimed that ereaders were the bees knees for reading colourful newspapers

Quote:
why did you buy??
WHO LET THE TROLL IN????!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan View Post
Quite interested in this because of the business school context. The guys in the article said it was difficult to read - I'm presuming under lecture theatre lighting conditions? Anyone with any experience with this?
With the amount of case studies we read i'm almost decided on getting one, either starting a trend or will have to return it if I can't use it in lectures...
if you put a spotlight pointed directly at a kindle screen, there would be some glare issues, yes. I don't think the majority of us are having to deal with the possibility of reading under interrogation type circumstances
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
For me the biggest disadvantage is the somewhat closed system. Sure, I can strip the DRM off my books and I can convert books I got elsewhere to read on the Kindle but I'd rather it all just worked. Most Kindle owners probably don't know they can do this or are intimidated by the process so it is a closed system for them.

I would add one disadvantage for the Kindle for PC that cathyhk didn't mention: you can't search. That is so annoying. As for PowerPoint, you can convert that yourself, no?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

It would be a pain in the ass to get my books onto a Kindle. Of course, the purpose of this gadget is not to allow me to read my free text, but to force me to pay for whatever metered text Amazon thinks I should be reading.

Sure, it's not impossible for me to transfer some of my text files onto a Kindle, but it gets old after a while. I have hundreds of texts that I've downloaded in the form of PDFs, CHMs, DOCs, and just plain TXT.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote