Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Hamatole
Hamatole began at the beginning.

Device: eInk AM300 prototype kit
iLiad Full Development Tutorial

Hello everyone, I am new in this forum but I frequently read for some time.
I am interested, for work, at this device (and at the DR) but prior to his/their purchase we are evaluating the possibility that they can offer.
I've read many threads and I'm testing some tutorial (AdamB's VM, official sdk and so on) but i don't understand how to see something like qemu's DR emulator.
In other threads (I think about OfflineWikipedia) i've found screenshots that shows iLiad views. Are they screenshots of the emulator or not?
And now I'm wondering if someone could make a guide that leads you step by step towards a development environment with all the basic applications installed, to achieve something like qemu DR. I mean a tutorial that: show how to setup the environment like this but with a VM and with official sdk, compile third party/official software, use precompiled software and show all stuff with vnc.
This, I think, is necessary to have an overview of all the material that was written (and unwritten but it should be writen)

what I would have is a virtual environment that will enable me to view documents downloaded via sh script (croned wget) as if I had in front the iLiad. In this case I could proceed with the purchase without other questions.
Hamatole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Hello Hamatole,

Welcome!

Using the Irex SDK is not that difficult if you have developed software on a Linux box. Porting existing software or developing something new can be a 'challenge'. I'm not sure about the DR1000, but I suspect that the same applies.

I think you should first research if the application you plan is feasible. If it look that way you could buy one Iliad (if budget allows) and start experimenting...

About the guide: you will never get that. It is a lot of work to write such a thing, and not much fun There are not very many people developing for the Iliad, and the people who do probably have other priorities...

Here is how I use the sdk (on a Ubuntu box)

Good luck!

PS: What kind of app would you want? I don't understand the off topic part of your message.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
About the guide: you will never get that. It is a lot of work to write such a thing, and not much fun There are not very many people developing for the Iliad, and the people who do probably have other priorities...
You just said what I want to say. I hate to setup my development environmet again. It took me too much time.
There do exist some in-complete tutorials or guides in the forum and Wiki. You have to be patient searching and trying.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Hamatole

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I'll try to explain. I tried this tutorial for example. In the end I see graphically the program but I have no ability to interact with it. And it shows only the program, not the environment of the Iliad (if I remember correctly the main program is the contentListener) in the sense that there is not an initial menu from which I can start the program.
That's why I asked the full enviroment setup: an environment such as the Iliad that allows to launch programs, read documents, etc..

I know that is not fun to write the tutorial from scratch when you already have the environment, but this is useful indeed crucial for new users / programmers who are close to new worlds ...
Anyway, I'll try to do it alone and if possible I'll write the tutorial maybe with your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
PS: What kind of app would you want? I don't understand the off topic part of your message.
What I want to achieve is a virtualization environment that allows a script to download some pdfs from my website (say a simple wget), places them in a certain folder and allows me to view them. All.
This is basically what I realize (with my working group) on the device AM300 and now I want to do the same thing (first virtually) on the iLiad.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamatole View Post
That's why I asked the full enviroment setup: an environment such as the Iliad that allows to launch programs, read documents, etc..
So, it seems that you want a simulation environment of iLiad on your desktop.
From your description, I guess that you have a vnc server running in iLiad target of Scratchbox. And you want a pagebar and a toolbar running. I've never tried makeing it. I only have a development environment (using official SDK in Scratchbox) to compile programs for me to execute them on real iLiad device. Your objective is beyond my reach.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Hamatole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
So, it seems that you want a simulation environment of iLiad on your desktop.
From your description, I guess that you have a vnc server running in iLiad target of Scratchbox. And you want a pagebar and a toolbar running.
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Your objective is beyond my reach.
No problem, thanks anyway

I wonder if someone can me!!

Tags
development environment, iliad, tutorial