Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading
Michizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Anyone read Shutter Island...

by Dennis Lehane. Went to the movies tonight and saw the trailer for the movie and (as I always do when I see a good trailer) I came home to see if there was a book. Sure enough there is. I've never read anything by Mr. Lehane but the movie looks like it will be really good and the book sounds very interesting. All the book reviews I read seemed very favorable as well.

Has anyone here read the book? What did you think? Anyone read anything else by this author? Which were your favorites? Oh, one more question - is Mystic River a prequel to Shutter Island? I'm a bit confused because a few of the reviews I read for Shutter Island mentioned Mystic River but didn't really say if it was a prequel.

Thanks!
Michizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
hiind
hiind began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
No Mystic River is not a prequel to Shutter Island! Have read all Lehane's books. Started off as a good thriller writer and has evolved into a "novelist". Not sure which avatar I prefer!
hiind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading
Michizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheeseMichizzle can extract oil from cheese

Thanks hiind! I've started Shutter Island and it's very good so far. I guess I'll read Mystic River next!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Very good books - both Shutter Island and Mystic River.

When I finished Shutter Island, I actually turned back to the beginning and re-read it, just to see all the hints I missed to how it ended. (Not going to say more than that!)

I first discovered him on a recommendation from the local bookstore to read his detective series - I think the first book was A Drink Before the War. I read them all, one after the other. I don't remember much about them today, I'm afraid - too many books in between.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading

Thanks Fizzy, I'm very excited about reading all his books.

I know what you mean about knowing books are good but not remembering much about them. I do that all the time. I'll tell someone, "Yes, that book was great - don't remember much about it but I do remember it was great!" LOL

That's the only problem with reading so much I think. Before I started keeping track of what I've read I would even sometimes pick up and book and be part way through it (sometimes even to the very end) before I'd remembered I'd already read it. Or, I would start reading and it would be vaguely familiar but I couldn't remember how it ended so I would just go ahead and finish rereading it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So?

What'd'ja think? (Without "spoilers", please!)
Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading

Haven't had much time to read over the past week - I'm near the end though and it has been excellent so far. More when I finish, planning on being able to read most of the day Sunday.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
...I first discovered him on a recommendation from the local bookstore to read his detective series - I think the first book was A Drink Before the War. ...
Hopped over to Amazon and see that Shutter Island and Mystic River are available at a pretty good price (6.39 USD), but A Drink Before the War is not available for the Kindle. I was gonna start with that one--hate it when that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michizzle View Post
...I know what you mean about knowing books are good but not remembering much about them. I do that all the time. ...
Same here. I consider it an advantage--when I re-read a book, it's always a new experience.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading

Ok, Shutter Island was EXCELLENT!! Well written, lots of twists and turns - I didn't figure out what was going on until very near the end (which I love because many times I have the ending figured out by midway through and that's no fun!) Can't wait to read more of Mr. Lehane's books. Sure hope the movie does the book justice!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
FizzyWater

So glad you loved it!

Now...Mystic River. (And ignore the movie - I hope you haven't seen it already).
Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading

Nope, haven't seen the movie. Reading a few other things right now but Mystic River is very high up on my TBR list.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
My Mom actually intruduced me to Lehane's books several years ago. She knew people in his family (growing up in Mass.) and became interested. I read Mystic River and LOVED IT, but honestly forgot about him.

I just finished Don Felder's Eagles bio last night (OK, 530am) and wondered what to read next. One of Lehanes' it will be!! Thanks for reminding me!

I realize I had also read his Gone, Baby, Gone (which was also turned into a movie later) and just read that Shutter Island, the movie, stars Leo DiCaprio and directed by Martin Scorsese will be released this Fall!! Can't wait!!!

Last edited by F1Wild; 07-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Michizzle
I'd rather be reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
I just finished Don Felder's Eagles bio last night (OK, 530am) and wondered what to read next. One of Lehanes' it will be!! Thanks for reminding me!
You're welcome! Glad I could return the favor, I saw a post on another thread a couple of weeks ago reminding me of an author I had forgotten about who I really enjoyed...I've added his newest books to my TBR list. Love it when I'm reminded about an author who I'd forgotten about!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michizzle View Post
You're welcome! Glad I could return the favor, I saw a post on another thread a couple of weeks ago reminding me of an author I had forgotten about who I really enjoyed...I've added his newest books to my TBR list. Love it when I'm reminded about an author who I'd forgotten about!
You know, as fate would have it, I tried to order Shutter Island and had tons of trouble (ordering anything), but it turned out to be a security issue...got it straightened out and ended up ordering The Last Empress & The Jade Owl...I guess SI will have to wait.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote