Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #16
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
Xen
Connoisseur

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #19
Xen
Connoisseur

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
Xen
Connoisseur

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Xen
Connoisseur

Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
Xen
Connoisseur

Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
NONE of my criteria are "false".
Yes they were. You didn't didn't qualify your statements. As they were, some of them were false.

Quote:
So there is in fact a direct hit on usability and practicality because of the limited support for non-Amazon formats.
You seem to be perfectly willing to deal with the proprietary Adobe DRM system, so proprietary-ness is apparently not your issue, despite your statement. What you seemed to mean was "I'd like a reader that naively supports epub and ADEPT DRM."
That's different.

You say Kindle search is 'abysmal' but you don't say what you don't like about it and most of us seem to find it excellent, so again, that's a statement that's hard to offer any meaningful suggestion about.

You are of course welcome to want anything you want, include giraffe cases, and if you ask what you really mean, you will likely get some good suggestions.

I wouldn't mind owning a device like it seems you're asking for: Large eink display, good for PDFs, runs on AAA batts, excellent on device search and organization, broad format support.
Not sure one exists, though.

Last edited by ApK; 09-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

You say Kindle search is 'abysmal' but you don't say what you don't like about it and most of us seem to find it excellent, so again, that's a statement that's hard to offer any meaningful suggestion about.

I guess you missed this part of post 21, where Xen explained the search issues :

Quote:
... my issue with Kindle search is that it is impossible to differentiate what you are searching on. I cannot search on just the Author field, or just the title field, or just the contents, or on tags at all. If I search on, say, "Christie" it will not only find every book with that in the author field, but also every book with that in the title field and every page in every book with that in the contents. Such a list gets very lengthy very quickly, and takes forever to complete the search - generally in fact it locks up and has to be powered down, totally reset, and started over.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Kindle "collections" are way too limited. I want more depth than that.
Then you'll want to look at a device from companies like Onyx, Pocketbook or Bookeen (Bookeen doesn't do larger devices) as the more mainstream companies like Kindle, Sony & Kobo all use similar non-hierarchical flat collection/bookshelf systems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I guess you missed this part of post 21, where Xen explained the search issues :
I did miss that actually, tx. Although, I was defending a statement from way before he posted that.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Who said anything about replacing a working device? I'm not replacing the Kindle - it still works. I would just like to have a larger format e-reader to use at home.

I guess you've not heard of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries? But that is not the issue. The issue is being able to replace or bypass the internal battery rather than having to throw the whole (new) e-reader away, when the internal battery comes to the end of its life.

Sony is not making a large format e-reader any more, at least not that I can find. They've "standardized" down to one model. If my Kindle were to die (as in not even a battery replacement would save it) then I might consider one of those, or a Nook - but that's not the issue at this point in time. It would be nice if a large format e-reader would handle PDFs well enough that I could read them, but in the absence of color e-ink, that's not actually required. In my second posting I tried to clarify that somewhat but I still wasn't feeling very well (still not, even now) so maybe I didn't clarify it very well.

My goal is to keep the Kindle as a portable e-reader, but I want a larger format e-reader to use around the house. Just to clarify. I'm not disposing of anything.

I use Calibre, but that does not help with organizing ON THE KINDLE. I am perfectly well aware that I will need to set up whatever organization I am going to use myself, but the Kindle's offering in this regard is little short of pitiful. "Collections" are limited and difficult to set up. I have had problems trying to assign books to multiple "collections". The interface between Calibre and the Kindle doesn't seem to function very well. Sometimes "collection" definitions transfer onto the Kindle, but more often they do not.

Since I am not even considering a large-format Kindle, even if they have one that uses e-ink, Kindle collections are not at issue. I want something that is BETTER than Kindle "collections", easier to use, and better handled by the Calibre software.

Even having the ability to use MicroSD cards would solve, or at least greatly reduce, the problem, as I could organize on those as if they were "folders". So I could just swap out the card that has all my mysteries on it (organized into types of mysteries using whatever native categorization there is on the device) for my SF card, or the Fantasy card, or the contemporary novels card. And yes, I DO have that many e-books.
Well I have totally missed the part in the first post where you mentioned your aversion to replacing the device. I did not see the part where you said you would keep the kindle as a portable reader and weren't replacing it. Still can't see it but I am sure it must be there. Sorry about that.

As to me never having heard of AA batteries why would I have mentioned them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The new Sony T3 has a fast charge mode that will enable you to read one more book. The device that HarryT mentioned would take care of power failure fears. Most ebook batteries seem to last several years and you would possibly pay more that the cost of a new ereader buying AA or AAA batteries if that is what you want by then, plus the weight. When you are already going to replace a device that still has working batteries, I don't follow your reasoning.
Obviously you are far fonder of your kindle than I assumed from your post. Sorry for enraging you by even mentioning replacement although I assure you it was an honest mistake on my part with no ill intent.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote