Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #31
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Maybe...I am wrong....and I hope M$ does well just to make the tablet market a bit more diversified....but seems too little too late. M$ lost me as a customer recently.... Updated to Win8 on my two 11.6 acers(my main computers)... will not buy another windows OS... Chromebook for me next time.. Now with My Nexus 10 do all my work with it and switch to the nexus 7 when at home. Had they released this in the Autumn of 2012...I would have bought an 8 inch Win8 product without question. Now....I made a personal seismic shift to Google and Android....and am not looking back....Give me an Win 8 for 200USD...then I will do a rethink....
For me, it's exactly the opposite:
I love iPad and I'll always give Kudos to Apple for re-inventing the tablet scene.
But I'm not that much into games anymore and like to "fumble around" with my gadgets.
So I came to prefer Android.
In general, I'm a fan of Google. The speed of the evolution of their products is quite impressive and they don't seem to make many mistakes.
But with the introduction of Surface RT, Windows 8 tablets became my absolute favorites.
All I like about Android (open file system, really managing documents, being productive "workhorses" instead of mere gadgets) is possible on Windows 8 tablets as well - and so much more.
On Android and iOS tablets, I've spent my time in the respective app stores (iTunes respectively Google Play). This was fun and usually I found something new all the time.
But when doing this on my Windows 8 tablets, possibilities are limitless. I even checked out the golden classic, Settlers 5. I'll never play it. But just out of curiosity and for nostalgic reasons, I briefly wanted to check it out.

Some call the OS confusing, I'd call it (way) more open and without limitations.

On my old UMPC from Samsung ca. 2008 to 2010, I've used various OSs in virtual machines.
Maybe I'll try the same on Surface Pro? Where else in the tablet scene can you do something like that?
I've tried Bluestacks on Surface Pro within the first few days after purchasing it. Working flawlessly. Not much use, there aren't many apps for Android that can't be found on Windows. Basically, the only thing I miss for Windows 8 tablets are 3rd party navigation apps such as Navigon or TomTom.
Anyway, it's an option I don't have on any of the other systems.

Of course, I would have preferred Microsoft introducing Windows tablets like that 2 years ago. But I'm still absolutely thrilled about their contribution to the tablet scene.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-13-2013 at 10:28 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Of course, I would have preferred Microsoft introducing Windows tablets like that 2 years ago. But I'm still absolutely thrilled about their contribution to the tablet scene.
Unfortunately, 2 years ago an x86-based tablet would have been loud, bulky and would have terrible battery life.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Waiting for a smaller form factor and cheaper price. Is there one available now that I am unaware of? 7 or 8 inch for around $300. Thanks.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Waiting for a smaller form factor and cheaper price. Is there one available now that I am unaware of? 7 or 8 inch for around $300. Thanks.
The cheapest one I've seen is Asus VivoTab (Smart) for ca. € 400 (outside of Europe this should be about the same in $). It's 10.1" though. Well designed, but atrocious update process via proprietary Asus app (you can uninstall it of course and do the updates manually).

Or you can go for the "older" Windows tablets, such as HP Slate 2. Mainly Windows 7 units, usually ca. 9" and in the range of € 400 to € 600. Surprisingly enough, those didn't drop drastically in their prices yet...
Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Digital Reader Blog has more info:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...el/#more-51506

An FCC filing, for starters.
And a listing from Finland.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The cheapest one I've seen is Asus VivoTab (Smart) for ca. € 400 (outside of Europe this should be about the same in $). It's 10.1" though. Well designed, but atrocious update process via proprietary Asus app (you can uninstall it of course and do the updates manually).

Or you can go for the "older" Windows tablets, such as HP Slate 2. Mainly Windows 7 units, usually ca. 9" and in the range of € 400 to € 600. Surprisingly enough, those didn't drop drastically in their prices yet...
Sometimes I wish I didn't surf as much as I do.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS10-272...pr_product_top

Tempting but I think the form factor would bother me very quickly. I have an Acer A500 and way too clunky for me to haul around.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #37
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

Tempting but I think the form factor would bother me very quickly. I have an Acer A500 and way too clunky for me to haul around.
That runs Windows RT. You do not want that at all.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

I've seen it a few months ago in German Saturn Markt.
To me, the only reason to consider it, would have been the clip-on keyboard.
And that's exactly the problem:
With the keyboard clipped on, it's really bulky.
Way more than my MacBook Air for example. And way more than Microsoft Surface Pro for example.
And as a standalone tablet, I didn't find it really compelling. As a bargain tablet, I'd prefer Asus VivoTab Smart for example. There's a keyboard/cover combo available. For transportation, you can put their bluetooth keyboard between cover and tablet.
The only issue that really bothered/annoyed me on Asus VivoTab Smart: They use a proprietary (and crappy) software for their updates. Else, for € 400, it did perform surprisingly well.