Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
The murder room!

Good news everyone!

At least it's good news for lovers of mysteries

I recently discovered The Murder Room, which are dedicated to bringing the out-of-print and hard-to-find detective books by the finest classic crime writers back to print.

This is their own introduction of themselves:
Quote:
This title is part of The Murder Room, our series dedicated to making available out-of-print or hard-to-find titles by classic crime writers.

Crime fiction has always held up a mirror to society. The Victorians were fascinated by sensational murder and the emerging science of detection; now we are obsessed with the forensic detail of violent death. And no other genre has so captivated and enthralled readers.

Vast troves of classic crime writing have for a long time been unavailable to all but the most dedicated frequenters of second-hand bookshops. The advent of digital publishing means that we are now able to bring you the backlists of a huge range of titles by classic and contemporary crime writers, some of which have been out of print for decades.

From the genteel amateur private eyes of the Golden Age and the femmes fatales of pulp fiction, to the morally ambiguous hard-boiled detectives of mid-twentieth-century America and their descendants who walk our twenty-first century streets, The Murder Room has it all.
Kobo has their titles, and with an unlimited discount code of 40%, this is really nice!

Today I have bought no less than nine books, three by Clayton Rawson and six by John Dickson Carr. The latter six books are the ones I'm most entrilled about: Carr's books have been unavailable for decades in Norway, today I have bought:
The Hollow Man
The Man Who Could Not Shudder
To Wake The Dead
The Four False Weapons
In Spite of Thunder
Death-Watch

And more books by Carr are supposed to be published at a later time. Perhaps time to consider joining the book-addict thread in here?

Last edited by Iznogood; 01-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
They are the crime/thriller sister site to SFGateway. I bought a John Dickson Carr (The Blind Barber, which I think is the earliest Gideon Fell they currently offer) and an Anthony Price from them a few weeks ago. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is SFGateway also by the Orion publishing group? I've started reading "Death watch", which is from the same year as "The Blind Barber", and find dr. Fell an even more interesting character than in the Norwegian translations.

I shall definately be keeping an eye on the murder room, because they'll be publishing several of Carr's historical novels, of which only one are translated into Norwegian
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Is SFGateway also by the Orion publishing group
Yes...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Good news everyone!

At least it's good news for lovers of mysteries

Kobo has their titles, and with an unlimited discount code of 40%, this is really nice!
Don't forget that the vouchercodes40 discount finishes on the 31st.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not "News". Moved to "Deals and Resources".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not really a deal, either, although I guess it counts as a resource.

I'm surprised the kobo code works, given that it's really Orion/Hachette behind the imprint.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Don't forget that the vouchercodes40 discount finishes on the 31st.
There appears to be no option for a discount code on these titles from Kobo.

I hope I'm wrong, as I would like to purchase all the John Dickson Carr titles.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-30-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard

They do all seem to be £2.99 on amazon and kobo in the UK, still, which I thought was a sale price. I'm (almost) sure they were all £4.99 when I first noticed them.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Iznogood
Guru

It should be possible to click on the "Have a gift card or promo code?" link and apply VoucherCodes40. I got the Carr books for about $4 to $5

Harry: I thought a new place to buy out-of-print books were "news", but feel free to move the thread where it's best suited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	100318  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Harry: I thought a new place to buy out-of-print books were "news", but feel free to move the thread where it's best suited.
The point is, though, it's not new. The fact that you've just discovered it is - with absolutely no disrespect intended - not a suitable topic for the "News" forum. But it's perfect for the "Deals and Resources" forum.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
It should be possible to click on the "Have a gift card or promo code?" link and apply VoucherCodes40. I got the Carr books for about $4 to $5

Still no go: That option is not available with a UK account, which is what I have.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
It should be possible to click on the "Have a gift card or promo code?" link and apply VoucherCodes40.
It might work for you, but different countries have different publisher exclusions for promo codes at Kobo.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Still no go: That option is not available with a UK account, which is what I have.

Don
The Carr books with "The Murder Room" covers are "Price set by the publisher" - but they're only £2.99 anyway, which is a decent enough price. The ones with the pale blue covers with a white title, though, (eg "He Who Whispers") ARE available for discount codes. Using the discount that was available over Christmas, I bought them at about half the price they would have cost me at Amazon UK.

EDIT: To be specific, I'm talking about buying from BooksOnBoard.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-30-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It might work for you, but different countries have different publisher exclusions for promo codes at Kobo.
That may explain it. Why is it that publishers can't seem to resist putting as many sticks in the wheels of change that they possibly can... Things like this makes me lose faith in the future