Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
How to load books on Kindle Touch

My friend has bought a Kindle Touch from Amazon, it should arrive soon

Part of his reason for buying it was my enthusiasm for eBooks and eReaders and the promise that I'd load it with eBooks for him

I use Calibre to load eBooks onto my Kobo Touch but he lives in the bush and has poor and intermittent access to the internet so I may not be able to download and use Calibre

The eBooks are on a thumb drive, what would be the best way to get them onto the Kindle Touch, can I just 'drag and drop' ?

They are older eBooks with no DRM, for instance he's currently reading "For the Term of His Natural Life, written by Marcus Clarke" I have this and similar historic eBooks on the thumb drive

I'm concerned that I don't mess up his nice new Kindle Touch and put him of eBooks

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
As long as there's no DRM, just connect both the thumb drive and the KT and drag the books to the Documents folder. Of course, they have to be in a format the Kindle supports, like MOBI or PDF. You should be able to convert them in your Calibre.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Just connect via USB, and drag and drop the books into the "documents" folder of the Kindle drive. Safely Remove the Kindle, and you're done.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Kobo Touch uses epub format and Kindle Touch uses mobi format. Have you converted the books using calibre to mobi format already? Yes, using a computer you can sideload (drag and drop) the ebooks into the documents folder on the Kindle Touch.

There is a calibre portable program, you could put that and the calibre library both on a thumb drive and use that for managing the books without him having to download the calibre program.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the lightening fast replies

All the eBooks are in Kindle's mobi format and there is no DRM

Will the "documents" folder of the Kindle drive be obvious when I connect the Kindle Touch ?

I'll have a look for the Calibre portable program, I'm used to Calibre and using it would give me more confidence !
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Will the "documents" folder of the Kindle drive be obvious when I connect the Kindle Touch ?
The Documents folder will be 1 level under the root.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
The Documents folder will be 1 level under the root.
Thanks for confirming that, I should be able to cope now without making a brick of my friends new Kindle Touch

When he and his wife come to our place for lunch etc next time I'll show him how to use Calibre
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
One other thing to consider is if you are going to be loading a whole lot of books onto his Kindle for him, it's maybe worth doing it in small batches and not dumping 100 books straight on there.

If you do it in batches and let the Kindle index those books, check there's no problem and then load on your next batch, index, check and so on. Just in case you load them all on and one book has some kind of issue that causes the indexing to get stuck.

You can check the books are indexed ok by searching for a non-existent term like 'xywqr' and on the results page it tells you if any books are still to be indexed. If it gets stuck on one book, there's a problem with that particular book.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
One other thing to consider is if you are going to be loading a whole lot of books onto his Kindle for him, it's maybe worth doing it in small batches and not dumping 100 books straight on there.

If you do it in batches and let the Kindle index those books, check there's no problem and then load on your next batch, index, check and so on. Just in case you load them all on and one book has some kind of issue that causes the indexing to get stuck.

You can check the books are indexed ok by searching for a non-existent term like 'xywqr' and on the results page it tells you if any books are still to be indexed. If it gets stuck on one book, there's a problem with that particular book.
Thanks for that

I'll try and get him to become a member of MobileRead !