Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
UMG Says Throwing Away Promo CDs is Illegal

And some people wonder why RIAA and the big recording houses are hated...

Link:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/04...mo-cds-illegal
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This is a good example of why we should not protect our children too much: if they never hurt themselves then they never learn not to do dumb things, then they become Music Industry Executives. Chaos ensues.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
And some people wonder why RIAA and the big recording houses are hated... Link: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/04...mo-cds-illegal
This is one case that makes me wish I was still practicing law. My argument would be on behalf of municipalities: I would sue UMG for damages for filling the landfill with nonbiodegradable waste because if they own it forever, they still own it. And I would ask the court to grant injunctive relief to require UMG to remove all of their CDs from the municipal landfill. It could be fun to watch them squirm.

Last edited by rhadin; 04-09-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: corrected a misspelling
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And just when I think that there's no good use for lawyers!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
This is one case that makes me wish I was still practicing law. My argument would be on behalf of municipalities: I would sue UMG for damages for filling the landfill with nonbiodegradable waste because if they own it forever, they still own it. And I would ask the court to grant injunctive relief to require UMG to remove all of their CDs from the municipal landfill. It could be fun to watch them squirm.
priceless...always fun when you can use someone else's idea of "fair rules" against them.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, if UMG wins, someone should file a lawsuit following rhadins path. This could be really fun. I would even donate a couple of dollars to help the cause
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, if UMG wins, someone should file a lawsuit following rhadins path. This could be really fun. I would even donate a couple of dollars to help the cause
Actually, someone should file the suit now and use the public pleadings as an admission against interest. Doing so would serve a couple of purposes, not least of which might be to get the industry to back off.

I read an interesting story in our local paper this past week about the industry trying to dismiss a lawsuit it had filed against someone who, the industry discovered, was the wrong person -- the alleged violator was the defendant's adult daughter. At least in this case the defendant has a smart attorney who filed counterclaims, so even if the the primary suit is dismissed, the counterclaims remain. Ultimately it will depend on how ambitious the lawyer is whether the industry gets its comeuppance.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope they get it big time. They cannot just accuse people without due process and proper evidence. Let the industry pay for their strong arm tactics. They are violating our rights and they think it's OK. Well, it's not OK and never will be. They need to do this by the law which means evidence and due process.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope they get it big time. They cannot just accuse people without due process and proper evidence. Let the industry pay for their strong arm tactics.
I feel the same but, alas, it is clear that in our current conservative court system, those who have big bucks can do whatever they want and those who haven't got big bucks have to pay to be abused.

Last week one court held that even though the RIAA had sued the wrong person and had caused that person to rack up $30,000+ in legal fees, (a) the suit could be dismissed without prejudice (meaning the RIAA could sue this person again), (b) the victim's counterclaim was dismissed with prejudice (can't sue the RIAA on the same claim), and (c) the RIAA was not responsible for the victim's legal fees.

Another court dismissed -- again without prejudice -- an RIAA suit against a homeless man and again didn't award the victim attorney's fees even though the court found that the RIAA had lied.

I'm not familiar with the bases for the counterclaims in the lawsuits filed, but the dismissals indicate to me (a) big bucks matter, not right or wrong, in today's judicial system and (b) perhaps the defense attorneys are not creative enough.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
rhadin, why stop with the municipalities. This could easily be expanded to a class action suit for anyone who received the CDs, unwanted. UGM would be guilty of trowing their trash on your property, with appropriate actual and punitive damages against UGM. Then further expanded to all junk mail senders. Then further expanded to everyone who now must pay higher prices for stamps due to junk mail. Then further expanded to all postal workers with back problems due to handling all that junk mail.

You could be on a roll. Go for it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

You get the torches, I'll sharpen the pitchforks, then we'll go get them!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
And some people wonder why RIAA and the big recording houses are hated...

Link:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/04...mo-cds-illegal
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law, music labels, riaa