Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Getting a 950, cover?

Hi folks,

I'll be getting a PRS-950 for Christmas. I'm really excited, I've spent way too much time lately playing with the demo at Best Buy. Unfortunately I know it's already been delivered and I have to wait. And my poor boyfriend has to deal with another almost month and a half of me "borrowing" his nook.

So I'm looking for a cover. I'd been hoping for an Oberon one (contemplated getting the boyfriend an Oberon cover for his nook, went with a Noreve instead), but of course they're not making them yet/ever. I did email to register my interest. I'm wondering if it would be practical to put a Sony cover into one of their large journal covers, as if the Sony cover were a journal insert. Has anyone tried this? The journal covers are 9"x6", and the journal inserts are 8.5"x5.5"x7/8". According to Sony, the unlighted cover is 9.45"x5.51"x.75". I can't imagine that 9.45" is correct, considering the pictures show that the cover is barely taller than the reader. I would guess that the Sony cover should fit in the Oberon cover, but I'd hate to order and be wrong.

In short, can anyone tell me
1. The correct dimensions of the Sony cover (the one without the light)? Is it really 9.45 inches high?
2. Ideally, if someone has both the Sony cover and an Oberon journal cover, would my crazy plan work?
3. Are there any other non-Sony, zipperless, leather or fake leather covers being made for the 950? It seems like they're pretty rare.

I've almost fallen in love with this Oberon journal cover.

I'm so excited.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
Hi folks,

I'll be getting a PRS-950 for Christmas. I'm really excited, I've spent way too much time lately playing with the demo at Best Buy. Unfortunately I know it's already been delivered and I have to wait. And my poor boyfriend has to deal with another almost month and a half of me "borrowing" his nook.

So I'm looking for a cover. I'd been hoping for an Oberon one (contemplated getting the boyfriend an Oberon cover for his nook, went with a Noreve instead), but of course they're not making them yet/ever. I did email to register my interest. I'm wondering if it would be practical to put a Sony cover into one of their large journal covers, as if the Sony cover were a journal insert. Has anyone tried this? The journal covers are 9"x6", and the journal inserts are 8.5"x5.5"x7/8". According to Sony, the unlighted cover is 9.45"x5.51"x.75". I can't imagine that 9.45" is correct, considering the pictures show that the cover is barely taller than the reader. I would guess that the Sony cover should fit in the Oberon cover, but I'd hate to order and be wrong.

In short, can anyone tell me
1. The correct dimensions of the Sony cover (the one without the light)? Is it really 9.45 inches high?
2. Ideally, if someone has both the Sony cover and an Oberon journal cover, would my crazy plan work?
3. Are there any other non-Sony, zipperless, leather or fake leather covers being made for the 950? It seems like they're pretty rare.

I've almost fallen in love with this Oberon journal cover.

I'm so excited.
If I recall correctly the 950 is very close in dimensions to the Kindle 2 so an Oberon cover designed for the Kindle 2 might be really close. My non-lighted 950 cover measures just shy of 8.13 inches by 5.25 inches. Hope that helps.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I also believe the Kindle 2 cover should fit quite well - the 950 is very slightly smaller, but 1/4" or so shouldn't cause your e-reader to rattle around, and if it did (or you were truly concerned) you could always put (very) small velcro pieces under the corners to "stablize" things, though I highly doubt it'd come to that.

As Oberon doesn't make a 650 cover, I've velcro'ed my unit into a Small Journal cover, which has worked out just fine so far. They were excellent as far as customer service goes, including a followup shipping question phone call (from me). My experience with them was 5-star, A+ service!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, natasha. I have the Kindle 2 cover for my 950. It works very well although there are a few minuses (some of the switches are covered by the straps). I just posted a review and some pictures in a separate thread. I understand your excitement. I blame SeaBookGuy for first telling me about Oberon!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great that you got one you liked, BG!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
If I recall correctly the 950 is very close in dimensions to the Kindle 2 so an Oberon cover designed for the Kindle 2 might be really close. My non-lighted 950 cover measures just shy of 8.13 inches by 5.25 inches. Hope that helps.
That does help, thank you. It means that the Sony cover would fit in the journal cover, if I decide to go that route.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
natasha_fawn
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I also believe the Kindle 2 cover should fit quite well - the 950 is very slightly smaller, but 1/4" or so shouldn't cause your e-reader to rattle around, and if it did (or you were truly concerned) you could always put (very) small velcro pieces under the corners to "stablize" things, though I highly doubt it'd come to that.

As Oberon doesn't make a 650 cover, I've velcro'ed my unit into a Small Journal cover, which has worked out just fine so far. They were excellent as far as customer service goes, including a followup shipping question phone call (from me). My experience with them was 5-star, A+ service!
Thanks for the customer service review. I first learned about the company about 10 years ago when I bought a small journal cover by them from a local bookstore, but that didn't give me any contact with the company itself. The journal I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Hi, natasha. I have the Kindle 2 cover for my 950. It works very well although there are a few minuses (some of the switches are covered by the straps). I just posted a review and some pictures in a separate thread. I understand your excitement. I blame SeaBookGuy for first telling me about Oberon!
Thanks, I've just popped over to your review.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Oberon cover

I have a PRS 950 and I have purchased an Oberon Kindle 2 cover for it. The cover fits perfectly. But, I bought the Velcro cover. I don't know how the cover with the leather tabs for holding the device would work. The size is CLOSE, but I'm not sure the PRS 950 would fit tightly enough. I bought the FOREST cover in GREEN. It is beautiful, and I get positive comments on it wherever I take it.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
I have a PRS 950 and I have purchased an Oberon Kindle 2 cover for it. The cover fits perfectly. But, I bought the Velcro cover. I don't know how the cover with the leather tabs for holding the device would work. The size is CLOSE, but I'm not sure the PRS 950 would fit tightly enough. I bought the FOREST cover in GREEN. It is beautiful, and I get positive comments on it wherever I take it.
Hi, jboardman. To help Natasha out, I was wondering how you ordered the option for Velco instead of the straps? Did you call Oberon over the phone? On their website as far as I can tell it only shows the strap options (which is what I bought).
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Why would anyone want anything BESIDES the Sony PRS 950 cover? It seems to be perfect for my 950.

Then I put the whole assembly inside my Incase iPad over also.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Why would anyone want anything BESIDES the Sony PRS 950 cover? It seems to be perfect for my 950.

Good question, Peter! I like it for customization to make your reader more personalized. For my 500 & 505, Sony offered multiple color covers. The 900 & 950 Sony cases have been limited to black. Some people are also willing to pay premium prices for designer covers for the Nook and Kindle. The Nook even offers different colored back-plates that you can swap out. Many people also like to customize skins for their ereaders. For awhile I had a pink/red/grey abstract skin for my 505 that looked awesome with the Sony red cover.

Inside the Oberon cover, your reader seems less like just another tech gadget. I also like the pocket inside. It also seems to offer better protection for my ereader when I travel. I don't really want to have to put it inside yet another case, although your Incase solution sounds like a great idea too.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-17-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
natasha_fawn
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
Are they still making the velcro covers? I thought they'd switched in favor of the straps. I have to admit, I'm not sure how I feel about sticking velcro to the reader. I suppose it would give me a good excuse to get a skin, hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post

I really like the hinge system the Sony covers have, that's part of the reason I'm contemplating putting the Sony cover inside an Oberon cover. Personally, I like things that are a little more distinctive than just plain black, especially when the reader itself is silver. (Oh how I wish they'd been offered in blue or red.) And having had an Oberon journal cover, I know just how nice they are in person.

Edit:
I forgot to add, it looks like someone has made a similar frankencover with an Amazon Kindle cover split apart and put into an Oberon journal cover. She goes through it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43523 . More to ponder.

Last edited by natasha_fawn; 11-17-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I put duct tape pieces between both the reader and Oberon cover, rather than velcro'ing either side directly.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Natasha, thanks for sharing the link for the Kindle frankencover. Very interesting! Let us know what you ultimately decide to do. Bet you thought selecting which cover design you wanted would be the hardest part of your decision!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
remesh
remesh began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-950SC
Any comments on this M-edge Kindle 2 cover. Will it fit SONY PRS-950?

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle2-platform.psp

Any potential issues?
remesh is offline   Reply With Quote