Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
davecabezo
Enthusiast
davecabezo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Which e reader

My aging Kindle is showing signs of "dying" but I don't know what to replace it with. I looked at all the Kindle model but see that they just connect via Wi-Fi.
All of my library is stored on my PC and I connect to the Kindle via USB and Calibre.
I would need a reader that will connect via USB as my computer doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Any help would be appreciated

Dave
davecabezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
My Paperwhite 2 connects to the PC via the USB cable just fine. It has been my understanding that all Kindles will work that way.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
davecabezo
Enthusiast

So do all Kindles have USB and Wi-Fi?
When I looked at the specs under connectivity all of the model listed only Wi-Fi
Old 02-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
So do all Kindles have USB and Wi-Fi?
When I looked at the specs under connectivity all of the model listed only Wi-Fi
That's talking about wireless connectivity with Amazon: either WiFi or WiFi + 3G. All Kindles do of course have a USB port and mount as a drive when connected to a PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All Kindles have a USB port for connecting to a computer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Many thanks everyone for you help

Regards

Dave
Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
So your e-books are actually stored on harddrive? Don't worry if the ereader has wifi. The important point is that the ereader has a microSD slot. Any ereader, Kindle or Kobo or other, should be able to carry your e-books, as long as there's a microSD slot.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
So your e-books are actually stored on harddrive? Don't worry if the ereader has wifi. The important point is that the ereader has a microSD slot. Any ereader, Kindle or Kobo or other, should be able to carry your e-books, as long as there's a microSD slot.
I'm afraid I must disagree. Few devices have a microSD slot these days, and I don't think they need one. Most devices have at least 4GB storage space, which is enough room for 2000+ typical ebooks. That's sufficient for most people's needs.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I must disagree. Few devices have a microSD slot these days, and I don't think they need one. Most devices have at least 4GB storage space, which is enough room for 2000+ typical ebooks. That's sufficient for most people's needs.
I must disagree sort of. 4GB is usually enough. But to say you get 2000+ books is wrong. 4GB is the total storage and some of that is USE for the system software. So you may get 3.5GB (or so) of storage. Also, I've gone a test recently and with a randomly chosen set of eBooks to fill 1GB, I got less than 100 in one test and less than 200 in others. A lot of eBooks these days use a high resolution cover & title page. Also, some have embedded fonts to go with an advertising page (Penguin/Random House does this for one) as well as graphics to advertise some of the author's other books. So the average size is increasing and you cannot expect to get 2000+ eBooks with a 4GB Reader.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I must disagree sort of. 4GB is usually enough. But to say you get 2000+ books is wrong. 4GB is the total storage and some of that is USE for the system software. So you may get 3.5GB (or so) of storage. Also, I've gone a test recently and with a randomly chosen set of eBooks to fill 1GB, I got less than 100 in one test and less than 200 in others.
I have well over 2000 books on my 4GB Kindle Voyage, and it still has about 0.5GB free space. Not many ebooks are more than 1MB in size; the typical "Agatha Christie" type book is more like 250-300kB.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
Quote:
I have well over 2000 books on my 4GB Kindle Voyage, and it still has about 0.5GB free space. Not many ebooks are more than 1MB in size; the typical "Agatha Christie" type book is more like 250-300kB.
Why do you have 2000 books on Kindle? I mean if it's not your first ereader
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
Why do you have 2000 books on Kindle? I mean if it's not your first ereader
Because it was my primary reader for the best part of 3 years until I bought the Oasis.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The number of the books is irrelevant. What the first poster must do is to measure the total size of his e-books in GB. It may well be over 3GB or so that an ostensibly 4GB ereader can take in. Better get a more modern 8GB ereader at least, but one with a microSD will always win.

As it happens, the total size of my e-book library is about 60GB, so I can get only a part of it into my ereader with the help of microSD. For me an ereader without microSD is useless.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
The number of the books is irrelevant. What the first poster must do is to measure the total size of his e-books in GB. It may well be over 3GB or so that an ostensibly 4GB ereader can take in. Better get a more modern 8GB ereader at least, but one with a microSD will always win.
Why recommend Kindle and Kobo in that case? No current Kindle or Kobo model has an SD slot.

Not everyone needs to carry around their entire library with them at once, of course. Many people prefer to only put a few books at a time on their reader. And of course with a Kindle you can upload your own files to Amazon's Cloud and then download them to the Kindle at any time.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I find it ridiculous to have to have 60GB worth of eBooks on my Reader. To be honest, 3.5GB is enough to hold enough book to read until you get back to the computer.