Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #61
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think foldable screens are a distinct possibility with tablets going away due to the convenience of the smaller footprint. I hear Microsoft is working on this as we speak.

Dale
Samsung is supposed to be pretty far along in developing a foldable or bendable screen phone, maybe even having a commercially available one later this year.

Does anyone remember the show "Earth Final Conflict? The hero had a phone that had a roll out screen, it was a little pod-like thing and the screen pulled out and rolled back up rather like a window shade. I still want one of those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6a00d834226e6e53ef0154322a6e75970c.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	161373  

Last edited by Alohamora; 01-08-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #62
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I would think so. Kobo is good about updating old devices with newer firmware. But the Touch is a little before my time and I never researched it because I want a light. Check the Kobo forum for a sure answer.
Well, I won the Kobo Touch bid so, by the end of the week, I should be able to test drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB
Copy the correctly named font files into a "fonts" directory in the root of the exposed partition. Power cycle your Touch and you should be able to use the new font. There's a sticky Summary of Modified Fonts in the Kobo forum.
Thanks. I'll try this out as soon as the Touch arrives. Providing it works and probably after cleaning and upgrading it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #63
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep. One of the main subjects in my gmail inbox is cat poop, its smell, color and consistency (I volunteer at a local shelter and participate in its internal mailing list). They're welcome to read it, whoever "they" may be.

Seriously though, life is too short to bother with trying to retain total privacy at all costs. If I lived 500 years or so, then I might look at it differently. But as it stands now... eh. I'll be dead soon enough. Why complicate my remaining days unnecessarily.
Kind of the way I look it. I don't necessarily like it, but I'm getting too old to find reasons to bang my head against the wall.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #64
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Does anyone remember the show "Earth Final Conflict? The hero had a phone that had a roll out screen, it was a little pod-like thing and the screen pulled out and rolled back up rather like a window shade. I still want one of those.
Something close to it existed 10 years ago, the Polymer Vision Readius.

PV went bust and it never went anywhere.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not power cycling after installing a new font can lead to some odd issues such as all italics showing as bold-italic or not showing as italic.
That likely explains the problems I had with Bookerly for so long. I did power down the Aura for some other reason and now Bookerly displays correctly.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, I won the Kobo Touch bid so, by the end of the week, I should be able to test drive it.
Congrats on your win.

I didn't care for the Kobo software experience out of the box. Read a little on the device and then research patching. You can change all kinds of things. What you want changed and what you want to leave alone varies by user. But once you have the Kobo fine tuned, it is a great reader.

Spend some time in the Kobo section. It will help you decide if you want to send books as ePub or kepub, help you find custom fonts, all sorts of things.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #67
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Congrats on your win.

I didn't care for the Kobo software experience out of the box. Read a little on the device and then research patching. You can change all kinds of things. What you want changed and what you want to leave alone varies by user. But once you have the Kobo fine tuned, it is a great reader.

Spend some time in the Kobo section. It will help you decide if you want to send books as ePub or kepub, help you find custom fonts, all sorts of things.
Okay, thanks. I'll probably be bugging you more than you want. I'm not too much into patching – mostly just interested in "better" fonts (as in, ones I like better), like Constantia. But that could change as I learn what patching is available for the Kobo. I haven't done anything recently with Calibre plugins, but it looks like I'll have to at least install the KeyPub plugin if I want to experiment with that format.

Again, thanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #68
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would like more buttons instead of less. I want power, page turns on both sides, home, back and menu. Touch for highlighting, ect and keyboard. Better battery of course. And more memory. Lighter but NOT smaller. They are getting too thin to grip comfortably now. The screens are fine as they are.

Mostly I want software changes. Much better library management. More customization options for fonts, margins, how books are listed on your device (author, title, series, genre, tags, last read, ect). I want the online archive to be customizable like that also.
I would like to be able to edit the metadata of the online books I purchase so if I change the title of Pawn of Prophesy to Belgariad 1 - Pawn of Prophesy it would be listed like that when I look in my archive on any of my devices. That is the main reason I sideload all my books and keep most of them on my device, I've changed the titles of most of them and every time I downloaded them I would have to re-change them to what I want. I don't expect this however. Ideally I would like to buy books from anywhere and read them on any device. Also unlikely. I wouldn't like to use verbal commands usually but It would be a nice option for occasional use if my hands were occupied at home. If I was up to my wrists in bread dough it would be nice to just say "next" to go to the next page or to open a different book. This like WiFi could be turned on or off to save battery.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #69
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Right now when I go to work, I am carrying my tablet (iPad) as a quick connected device and games carrier, my Remarkable as a notepad, and my Onyx Max 2 as a portable bookshelf. All combined, they are still lighter than my laptop (which I will sometimes carry as well).

I'd be happy to carry one less device if, say, the tablet could comfortably fulfill either the notepad or reading function. Right now it cannot - e-ink screen is really that much more comfortable for reading, and note taking on a hard surface screen is something I cannot do.

Now, with ereaders we are either talking niche products, or cheap reading devices. Both have their uses - in public transports I see a lot of Kobos and Kindles, in the hands of people who just want to read and like the comfort. My guess is that these people could be easily converted to regular tablets if they offered comparable screen comfort (like, full-color, e-ink-like screens) at not too high prices, but right now they seem to be sticking to their e-readers despite also having smartphones (I'm guessing).

On the large screen readers - they are expensive enough to be in the same price range as slightly smaller, full-purpose tablets, so I don't see them becoming mainstream items, but I don't see them being taken over by tablets either (I mean, large screen tablets were around before large screen readers), unless said tablets get dual display options.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #70
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Right now when I go to work, I am carrying my tablet (iPad) as a quick connected device and games carrier, my Remarkable as a notepad, and my Onyx Max 2 as a portable bookshelf. All combined, they are still lighter than my laptop (which I will sometimes carry as well).

I'd be happy to carry one less device if, say, the tablet could comfortably fulfill either the notepad or reading function. Right now it cannot - e-ink screen is really that much more comfortable for reading, and note taking on a hard surface screen is something I cannot do.

Now, with ereaders we are either talking niche products, or cheap reading devices. Both have their uses - in public transports I see a lot of Kobos and Kindles, in the hands of people who just want to read and like the comfort. My guess is that these people could be easily converted to regular tablets if they offered comparable screen comfort (like, full-color, e-ink-like screens) at not too high prices, but right now they seem to be sticking to their e-readers despite also having smartphones (I'm guessing).

On the large screen readers - they are expensive enough to be in the same price range as slightly smaller, full-purpose tablets, so I don't see them becoming mainstream items, but I don't see them being taken over by tablets either (I mean, large screen tablets were around before large screen readers), unless said tablets get dual display options.
Are you trying to tell me that people that buy ereaders don't have tablets?
People buy ereaders because they want to read in various places. I have both ereaders and tablets. I prefer reading on an ereader because it is easier and I don't have to worry about glare.
Tablets are not the same as ereaders.
Two totally different ideas.
By your logic, you need to find one device that will do semi do everything you want.
You said most people could be converted.
Try it yourself first.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
There's also weight and battery life to consider. I'm probably not the "target audience" but – even though I have a tablet – I'm usually trying to figure out things to do with it. It'll sit for weeks without getting touched. My eReaders get used every day. For eMail, my smartphone (Blackberry Q10) works well and I really don't spend much time on the Internet when away from my desktop (or my laptop, when I actually travel, not often).
Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

If they could make it light enough, I think "Yota" type tablet might work out, as long as the LCD screen side was light enough. They could make it in such a way that, when you flipped the case, the eInk side would be up and the LCD side would be down (and vice versa). Maybe Amazon could make a Fire/Kindle.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #73
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:

All of this is totally off topic. The topic is "10 years from now" and not "what exists today".

While I agree that today's 2017 vintage hardware keeps ereaders and tablets largely distinct beasts, I still feel that they will merge in the rather distant future (e.g. 2028+) with the Triumvirate (ereader-tablet-phone) becoming a pair of just two dominate devices, the document handling device (ereader + tablet) and the more portable communication device (phone + email + messaging + social media junk).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
All of this is totally off topic. The topic is "10 years from now" and not "what exists today".

While I agree that today's 2017 vintage hardware keeps ereaders and tablets largely distinct beasts, I still feel that they will merge in the rather distant future (e.g. 2028+) with the Triumvirate (ereader-tablet-phone) becoming a pair of just two dominate devices, the document handling device (ereader + tablet) and the more portable communication device (phone + email + messaging + social media junk).
I still think it's the tablet that will disappear, not the eReader. Bigger screened smartphones have been cutting deeply into the tablet market for a couple (maybe three) years now.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #75
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
There's also weight and battery life to consider. I'm probably not the "target audience" but – even though I have a tablet – I'm usually trying to figure out things to do with it. It'll sit for weeks without getting touched. My eReaders get used every day.
The only thing I use my tablet for specifically is for reading comics.

I don't think a color e-ink reader would relay the same experience.

With that being said, my tablet isn't as portable as my e-reader. Mostly due to size but even if it were smaller, I don't think the comic experience would be as good. So, I doubt there would ever be an all-in-one device for me. Personally I prefer my devices specialized.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote