Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If they didn't slap DRM on it, you should be able to change the file extension to .prc and the mobi reader would read it fine -- if I understand how it works correctly, that is.

However, it sounds like they slapped their proprietary DRM on it, which would mean that it can only be read on your not-yet-arrived Kindle.

That's a big deal if they're putting DRM on stuff you send to them for conversion. I know you have the original file so you still have access, but I can't see any sane justification for DRMing the files sent to them for conversion!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well, my little chunk of Texas, here at the Republic's Embassy In Jackson, TN is relatively small, and my office smaller yet, so I'm about 4 feet away from the nearest corner. I'm also about 5 hours away from the nearest point on the Texas Border itself.
I don't see how it could be an embassy. I thought embassies generally had an ambassador in residence. Wouldn't "consulate" be more accurate?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
If they didn't slap DRM on it, you should be able to change the file extension to .prc and the mobi reader would read it fine -- if I understand how it works correctly, that is.

However, it sounds like they slapped their proprietary DRM on it, which would mean that it can only be read on your not-yet-arrived Kindle.

That's a big deal if they're putting DRM on stuff you send to them for conversion. I know you have the original file so you still have access, but I can't see any sane justification for DRMing the files sent to them for conversion!
NatCh, I don't think they DRMed it; I think I'm stoooopid and can't figure out how to open the file in MobiReader.

Either that, or I don't know how to change extensions properly.

The file has the filename.azw.prc after I "changed" it and I seriously doubt that's right.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
It should just be filename.prc, from what I've heard there is no DRM on files sent through the file-conversion process. Rename it that way and see if it works (I'd be interested to know for when my future Kindle comes).

David
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Rename the file filename.prc (I think this is right(?) click and select rename). You should then be able to double click on the file and MobiPocket Reader will open on the file. Its icon should be the MobiPocket one also. This might work without changing the name, or you can right click and select "open with" and find the MobiPocket Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't see how it could be an embassy. I thought embassies generally had an ambassador in residence. Wouldn't "consulate" be more accurate?
That's "Ambassador Gizmologist NatCh" to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crionox View Post
It should just be filename.prc, from what I've heard there is no DRM on files sent through the file-conversion process.
Do please let us know how it comes out I'd -- be really disturbed if they're adding DRM, and much rather know they weren't, even though I have no plans whatsoever to get a Kindle.

Also, If you do get the converted file open you might try converting the same PDF file with the Mobi converter and comparing the two to see how different they are.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #22
janiebegood
Enthusiast

Well, this is interesting. I deleted all the current versions and re-downloaded the file. It comes in as a bunch of numbers as the filename, then the extensions .azw AND .prc, so it looks like this:

398497937.azw.prc

I found it in my folder, double-clicked, and it opened right up in MobiReader (which the previous versions had not). It even has the proper file name in the Reader. Oddly, though, the file name still says Filename.pdf, which I find very confusing.

*scratches head*

Anyway, NatCh, the file was NOT DRMed by Amazon, so you don't need to worry about that. The formatting's not gorgeous, but it's readable, and it's there, so I'm off to send a few more.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
Anyway, NatCh, the file was NOT DRMed by Amazon, so you don't need to worry about that.
that's a relief!
Quote:
The formatting's not gorgeous, but it's readable, and it's there, so I'm off to send a few more.
Can you run a comparison to what converting the same file via the mobi converter would give you?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #24
janiebegood
Enthusiast

Quote:
that's a relief!
Can you run a comparison to what converting the same file via the mobi converter would give you?
Um, maybe? I've only been using the mobi creator for two days, and slayda had to walk me through the "build" step that wasn't an intuitive leap for me.

The only options I get for "Import from Existing File" are for HTML, Word or text documents -- how would I choose to convert a PDF? Or...how do I get the Creator to offer me PDF as an option for conversion?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ehm. I dunno, I've never used Mobi myself ... perhaps slayda will reappear and enlighten us all?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Um, maybe? I've only been using the mobi creator for two days, and slayda had to walk me through the "build" step that wasn't an intuitive leap for me.

The only options I get for "Import from Existing File" are for HTML, Word or text documents -- how would I choose to convert a PDF? Or...how do I get the Creator to offer me PDF as an option for conversion?
You don't need the CReator at all. The Windows MobiPocket Reader will convert the file just fine. Just drag it to the reader.

The reason you ended up with two extensions is that you have viewing extensions turned off in the File explorer I suspect. Bring up file explorer (any window) and select Tools > Folder Options. Select View and then uncheck hide extensions.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #27
janiebegood
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You don't need the CReator at all. The Windows MobiPocket Reader will convert the file just fine. Just drag it to the reader.

The reason you ended up with two extensions is that you have viewing extensions turned off in the File explorer I suspect. Bring up file explorer (any window) and select Tools > Folder Options. Select View and then uncheck hide extensions.
Thanks, DaleDe! I was able to import the .pdf file and open it with no problem, and it "reads" exactly the same in .pdf as it did in the converted Kindle version, so I believe the Kindle conversion worked.

Still waiting on the Kindle - two weeks and counting!