Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Do SDHC cards work on Jetbook/Jetbook Lite?

Hi all... Do SDHC cards work on Jetbook or Jetbook Lite?

On the specs, it is claimed Jetbook can support SD card up to 32G, but (correct me if I'm wrong), SD is up to 2G only? SDHC however, has 32G.

I'm about to order Jetbook (too bad the whites are all sold our at Newegg) or Jetbook Lite and also plan to get a brand new card, but want to hold off on the card yet. I'd want to get the SDHC as it has faster and higher capacity than SD's but if it wont work, it's money down the drain.

Best regards,
Michelle
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
kabir
kabir began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
They do. In the beginning, you don't really need a SDHC card. You probably don't have so many books to fill it up yet. If you have old SD cards hanging around, they will be sufficient for now. Besides, to upgrade your Jetbook, you need the old SD cards. SDHC cards cannot be used in the upgrade process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwah View Post

On the specs, it is claimed Jetbook can support SD card up to 32G, but (correct me if I'm wrong), SD is up to 2G only? SDHC however, has 32G.

I'm about to order Jetbook (too bad the whites are all sold our at Newegg) or Jetbook Lite and also plan to get a brand new card, but want to hold off on the card yet. I'd want to get the SDHC as it has faster and higher capacity than SD's but if it wont work, it's money down the drain.

Best regards,
Michelle
kabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Thanks kabir! All I got is an SDHC.

When you say upgrade, did you mean upgrading to a new firmware? I guess I do need a new SD card.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwah View Post

Best regards,
Michelle
yes, it works. I use 8GB Transcend SDHC card with my jetBook and it works perfect.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Has anyone "tried" to upgrade firmware with SDHC card?
I don't understand what the difference is?

I recently swapped out my old 512mb SD card for a 4 gig SDHC card.

And no, I don't have it "full" but every couple of weeks I manage to find a couple new authors hiding in my library that simply must be on the jetbook.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
SDHC and upgrading

Weather or not you can use and SDHC card to upgrade depends on what firmware you are running.

If you have software before 13h you can only upgrade with a SD card. After you upgrade to 13h (adds above 2 gig cards ) you can upgrade the firmware with SDHC cards

Your system if it was purchased recently would have more than likely come with 13g so you have to use a plain SD card to get to the next level.

I picked up a 512 meg SD card at Staples office supply in their clearance bin for $2.00 and I will keep it around for doing all my upgrades.

You can get a new 128 Meg SD card on Ebay for 5.00 including shipping
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
mitchwah
Connoisseur

thanks Kris777, GhostHawk and gr8npwrfl! appreciate your replies.

Happy holidays.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Has anyone "tried" to upgrade firmware with SDHC card?
I don't understand what the difference is?
SD is the old type of cards which has been around for some time. I only see a maximum of 2G capacity for SD type of cards. A concern is that if a device's firmware only accepts SD card, it won't read SDHC.

SDHC is the newer type, created because of the demand for faster and higher capacity storage. SDHC writes and performs faster than SD. A device using SDHC is backward-compatible with SDs.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I went to BJ's yesterday and saw that they had 2 GB Sony Memory Sticks. So I wrote Ectaco and asked if that would work on my jetBook Lite.

Ectaco responded promptly and said that a memory stick would not work.

So today I picked up a SanDisk 2 GB SD card for $12.99. There was a brand I had never heard of for $9.99, but I figured that since I am new to all of this, it wasn't worth the hassle to mess with a brand that doesn't have the reputation.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
mitchwah
Connoisseur

Yeah, Sony Mem sticks works only on Sonys. Useless to anything else. Besides it's more expensive than standard cards, so I won't bother with them.

You're pretty much safe with Sandisks, Kingstons and Transcends. (Those are the brands that I could vouch for anyways).
Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Good Choice

Mitchwah

Happy to see you got the Lite- I bought one, then 2 others for gifts. Lithium Ion batteries (in regular jetbook) last about 3 years (more time-based than usage-based), then you are up against paying to have the reader serviced or prying it open to replace the battery yourself. And with 2 sets of AA rechargeable batteries, you never have to wait for the unit to charge. The only thing the Lite lacks is the MP3 player, and I'll bet you already have a better one anyway. Besides that, the Lite cheaper, and the firmware upgrades are now coming out almost daily. I just installed M yesterday, and they released N today.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
kabir
kabir began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
Mitchwah

Happy to see you got the Lite- I bought one, then 2 others for gifts. Lithium Ion batteries (in regular jetbook) last about 3 years (more time-based than usage-based), then you are up against paying to have the reader serviced or prying it open to replace the battery yourself. And with 2 sets of AA rechargeable batteries, you never have to wait for the unit to charge. The only thing the Lite lacks is the MP3 player, and I'll bet you already have a better one anyway. Besides that, the Lite cheaper, and the firmware upgrades are now coming out almost daily. I just installed M yesterday, and they released N today.
Besides that, though many people hate the bump at Lite's back, I personally really like it. It helps me hold it firmly. I don't worry about it accidentally slipping out when I am too absorbed in the book.
kabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir View Post
Besides that, though many people hate the bump at Lite's back, I personally really like it. It helps me hold it firmly. I don't worry about it accidentally slipping out when I am too absorbed in the book.
+1. I like this holder too
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
My wife wants to switch to a Lite now. Her boss bought a Jetbook Lite and my wife discovered she really likes that bigger bulge on the left side for holding the book.

So now she's talking about buying a Lite, and keeping her month old Jetbook for a spare. In case one dies, gets damaged, etc. (I think she's a bit afraid of living with me if I lost my Jetbook)

Plus with 2 sets of battery's you'd never be caught unable to read because its charging.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Plus with 2 sets of battery's you'd never be caught unable to read because its charging.
GH, I've already asked that question, and I was told that one can read the jetBook while it is plugged into the wall when its battery is dead.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote