Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
a way to turn of hyphenation

I think the method described here ( for Nook) also works for T3
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ook-color.html
it seems you need to add
adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;
to the css for main body style- which will usually be called "calibre" if you've run a calibre epub to epub conversion

so it will not work for DRM'd books but from my initial tests it does seem to be working for books that calibre can process.

I added it to a test book which I then eyeballed in ADE v2 on PC & all the hyphenation seems to have gone away.

& adding that line should be backwards compatible for other readers, it's a "harmless" line if the epub reader engine does not understand it, then it should just be ignored ( that will also need testing but I did 1 quick test - see enxt sentence)

I put same book on t2 & t3, same font etc , after adding the CSS to the book, & compared same page on each - hyphenation has gone, no obvious untoward effects.
(I did note that in a couple of places the T3 put s one word less on a line, so the T3 full page is 1 sentence shorter than the t2 full page. - I guess that is because the justification calculations code has changed - both readers had everything set to defaults )

I would appreciate feedback/help with testing; if it works it will fix my only real issue with T3 & it's not too much hassle to do, as I can probably automate it via Calibre extra CSS

I cant see any way to teach the t3 to add this extra css line - it will have to be done for each book, before sideloading.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I tried it on my Kobo Glo for the heck of it, and it seems to work, I couldn't find any hyphenated words at all.

It did change how bold italics are displayed though, they're no longer bold anywhere in the book. But the Kobo is really touchy about that when <em> is used instead of <b> to denote bold. I had tried adding font-weight: bold to each italic class, but that didn't work. I'd have to go through and probably change the <em> everywhere and see if that will work, but since you're not worried about it on a Kobo, not sure I'll bother, unless you're curious about it for some reason.

But it did seem to eliminate all hyphens and didn't mess up anything else other than Kobo's quirkiness over bold italics.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

my test book did not have any bold italics, they are not that common in novels.

the "proper" way to test would be to make a test e-book with a bit of everything in it, but that's a lot of hassle.

I suggest: open your book into ADE v2 and then in ADE 1.7 on a computer & see if the bold italics are same in both versions. those are the engines that T2 & t3 use, dunno what Kobo uses, sorry.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Ripplinger,

As far as I know <em> displays as italic not bold. <em> and <i> have been interchangeable on all the readers I've owned. Similarly, <b> and <strong> have also been interchangeable.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the Kobo though, it does indeed render the previously bold italic in regular italic.

When I would add new fonts my readers, because I like thicker fonts because of my crappy eyesight, my regular and bold normal fonts are the same, which is the bold font; and my regular and bold italic fonts are the same, which again is the bold italic font. I simply make copies of the bold fonts and rename them as the normal versions.

When I switch the book with the new adobe code in the styles with a font that I added, it of course can't find a thinner font variety to use and so that text remains bold. However, it's no longer italics. Nothing else was changed other than adding the one line to the style used in the body of text.

Kobo's are just quirky when it comes to bold and italics.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-12-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Because I spell like a putz at times.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

optimisespeed: I think there may be a side effect to do with widows /orphans.

ADe usually manages that with a default of 2, I believe, but I jsut found one instance of seeing just 2 words at the end of a chapter, having an entire page to themselves i.e. the last 2 words of the last sentence.

so maybe this "optimizespeed" setting is also turning off the Widows & Orphans processing ?

I'd have to test whether that can be forced back in via explicit CSS
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

this is better:
body {adobe-hyphenate: none;}

I'd read that it did not work for Nook readers but it is working fine for T3 & for PC ADE2 - with no widows/orphans side effects.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I simply make copies of the bold fonts and rename them as the normal versions.
I wonder if this is at the root of your problem? Unlike Sonys, Kobos need both the internal font name and the external filename to be correct. If all you're doing is changing the filename from bold to regular then that's unlikely to be enough.

Anyway, I guess this is off-topic for this thread.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I just tried that line instead on the Kobo Glo and it did work perfectly. No hyphenated words, and it didn't mess with the bold italics, those were all as they should be as in the unaltered epub.

I think this will become a usual for me in my stylesheets. While it doesn't happen often like I said, and rarely that it's wrong, it really disrupts the reading flow and thought when you run into an incorrectly hyphenated word while your brain tries to make sense of it.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
This might help:

body {
-epub-hyphens: none;
adobe-hyphenate: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-moz-hyphens: none;
hyphens: none;
}

The above css turns off hyphens for: ePub3, ADE, Safari & Chrome, and Mozilla/Firefox, generic, respectively.

As I understand it, {adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;} forces the reader to revert to an older version of ADE (RMSDK 9.1 rather than 9.2) that doesn't have hyphenation functionality. That's why it gets rid of hyphens. But you also lose whatever other improvements 9.2 has over 9.1.

I don't have a T3 to test this on, but I'd be curious to know if the above works. If anyone tries it, please post results!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
This might help:

body {
-epub-hyphens: none;
adobe-hyphenate: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-moz-hyphens: none;
hyphens: none;
}

The above css turns off hyphens for: ePub3, ADE, Safari & Chrome, and Mozilla/Firefox, generic, respectively.

As I understand it, {adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;} forces the reader to revert to an older version of ADE (RMSDK 9.1 rather than 9.2) that doesn't have hyphenation functionality. That's why it gets rid of hyphens. But you also lose whatever other improvements 9.2 has over 9.1.

...!
thanks,
I'd already tested the adobe-hyphenate: none; command & posted that it worked & seemed a better solution for T3.

Its a shame that adobe don't document stuff properly, expect maybe for their own staff, but maybe doing it this way takes out the hyphenation without causing the revert to older engine version.
but as we don't have a list of differences between older & newer adobe version to work with, it's hard to tell.

T3 looks nicer than T2 display but it's a newer + higher rez screen so how much of "nicer" is down to ADE improvements is not obvious.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I wonder if this is at the root of your problem? Unlike Sonys, Kobos need both the internal font name and the external filename to be correct. If all you're doing is changing the filename from bold to regular then that's unlikely to be enough.

Anyway, I guess this is off-topic for this thread.
Sorry, I originally missed that question, I was posting at the same time I think.

But no, renaming the fonts isn't the problem, I only do the renaming for fonts that I add.

When I added the original css line to eliminate the hyphens that caused the bold italics to show as thinner italics, it was always using the Kobo fonts that come with the reader, and those are not renamed (I probably would if I knew how to get to them though!). I can adjust the thickness of those fonts with the Kobo settings, so it's really odd because it seems like it's ignoring the thickness setting with that css line added.

When using a font I added is when it would appear in bold only and not italics. If renaming the fonts as I do were a problem, the italics wouldn't show in the first place, but they do always show correctly in all books.

And when I use the 2nd method cybmole came up with of "body {adobe-hyphenate: none;}", that doesn't mess up the bold italics in either the Kobo included fonts or my added fonts, they all display correctly.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

After running into cellphone hypenated as "cellp-hone" today, yes, cybmole's trick is definitely going into my books from now on. I'm not sure all readers follow the same hypenation rules, if some wouldn't hypenate correctly or not, or if it's just another quirk with Kobo.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you put in soft hyphens to an ePub, I can say for sure that you are now unable to search. This is true for RMSDK (ADE). I've tested it with ADE 2.0.1 and RMSDK on the H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
a way to turn of hyphenation

of is a Preposition

off is turn switch from on to off or open switch so no electricity flows.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote