Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Kobo and the Samsung Galaxy Tab

Kobo and the Readers Hub for the Samsung Galaxy Tab

"The New software Kobo has pioneered for this device is called the “Readers Hub”. This new application was designed specifically for the Android 2.2 driven Galaxy Tab from the ground up. Kobo and Samsung both worked in conjunction on this application amidst great secrecy to give owners of the Galaxy Tab a viable store to use their device as an E-Reader."

"The application also has a ton of fonts and different sizes of the fonts, so it will allow people to heavily customize their e-reading experience."

"For International users, this new application is great, because it will deliver localized languages on ebooks for people who live in Europe, Asia and other major languages."

I know that many don't like back lit screens, but this is starting to sound better and better.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
This is a bigger story than it's getting credit for. Samsung is a major name in mobile devices (aka phones); they are the first player to actually launch an Android tablet on the backbone of the mobile carriers infrastructure. This, in turn, is a great opportunity for Kobobooks to expand its reach and customer base.

At the same time, this new reader: http://www.literatireader.com/, the Literati, is launching at $159 from Sharper Image and will be in 7,000 retail locations, including Best Buy, Macy's JC Penney's etc, in October. It, too, is a wireless (in this case wifi) colour device which can sync cross-platform with books you are reading.

Kobo may be the smallest of the newest players but they continue to lead the market, finding new niches to launch in -- and ahead of everyone else. as recently as last June, leading brand name e-ink e-readers were typically being sold for $250+; Kobo launched at $149 and suddenly the market followed. Now they will be the first on a brand name mainstream Android tablet and be the bookstore behind a dedicated $159 wifi colour ereader.

If nothing else, Kobo is a moving target and not bogged down in internal corporate navel gazing, buy-outs, down-sizing, etc. It's kinda refreshing.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This one keeps popping up on MR.

I like my reader. But do, at times, need something with color.

What drew my attention in this article was the Kobo reader software. Right now I have my e-ink reader for home and a Toshiba laptop/tablet that I use for work. The 6 inch reader screen without color just isn't able to fill my needs.

If I can sneak in a little reading at work, all the better.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo really seems agile. I am also impressed at how they are building out the Kobo store so that it meets the needs of people outside of the US--and not just in Canada, either. If you happen to be using something that gives you a non-local IP address, check the Kobo book store and see the pricing and book availability for other locations. The TOS is very clear that you need to register for a Kobo account using your real address, but taking a look is still interesting.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Samsung Galaxy

http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/...ung-galaxy-tab
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Thanks everybody! We're very excited about the Galaxy Tab launch. Especially because it does drive home one of the central ideas we keep pushing on: there will be new, better devices for reading coming out all the time. Your library should be able to follow you there. And with Kobo, it does. I had a chance to play with one of the Galaxy Tabs in Berlin at the launch and I have to say, it's a pretty amazing reading device. Size of a large trade paperback, incredible screen, very very light. Definitely a "book in one hand, coffee in the other" device, a trick I can pull off with iPad only with heroic thumb strength ;-) Books with illustrations and colour look incredible. Our Android team outdid themselves. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks again for the kind words!
Michael Tamblyn - EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising, Kobo
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self

One of my biggest concerns is the cost of ownership.

If it's $100 to $200, OK. If it's $300, maybe.

But I keep hearing that it'll be sold thru Verizon or another telcom.

So lets say that it'll be at a subsidized sale price of $100, with a $35 - $40 monthly contract charge. That means I'll be paying $420 to $480 a year, plus the $100.

Would I use a 7 inch MID/reader as a phone. No. Would I pay a minimum of $420 a year, year after year? No.

It does sound like it might be a winner. The Kobo reader software sounds like it could be a good thing. But if it works out as above, then it's DOA.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am currently paying $70 for a smart phone plan. It was a bad choice, but one I am locked into for awhile longer.

If I can buy a good plan with the Tab, I'd be fine with using it with either blue tooth or in speaker phone mode for the small amount of voice calling I do. If I suddenly wanted to use voice calling a lot more than I do at present, I could always go with a basic phone on month to month. If the TAB is available WiFi only, that would work for me, too.

It will make sense for some people, not for others.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
One of my biggest concerns is the cost of ownership. ... So lets say that it'll be at a subsidized sale price of $100, with a $35 - $40 monthly contract charge. That means I'll be paying $420 to $480 a year, plus the $100.

Would I use a 7 inch MID/reader as a phone. No. Would I pay a minimum of $420 a year, year after year? No.
I think you'll find the Samsung Galaxy S Tab will be in the same range as lower-end laptops or higher-end smartphones -- around $450-600. It won't be bought as an e-reader; but it will perform that function in a credible fashion. People who buy it are the same crowd who value the iPad -- for mobile computing and entertainment. A 1GB data plan with unlimited wifi could be purchased for around $25/mth -- $300 a year. You can't equate that to the device -- is that worth it to you for your mobile activities? If it is, then the e-reader component is icing on the cake.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self

Goodby Galaxy Tab.

I have no interest in it anymore.

Pricing Could Determine Samsung Galaxy Tab's Fate

"If the Tab really does cost around $1,000, U.S. carriers will have to subsidize the heck out of it. I can't imagine the carriers will cover more than half the cost, which still leaves consumers responsible for $500 at the register. That $500 buys them a device, and a data contract between $40 and $60 per month for 24 months. That's a hefty expense."

Goodby Tab.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard

The article is scare mongering. Android tablets are/will be significantly cheaper than iPads. They won't be free: but certainly the 7" models will be priced somewhere around low-end laptops, higher-end netbooks with which they directly compete. So ... $500ish at retail, less if you want a subsidy and a data contract.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Goodby Galaxy Tab.

I have no interest in it anymore.

Pricing Could Determine Samsung Galaxy Tab's Fate

"If the Tab really does cost around $1,000, U.S. carriers will have to subsidize the heck out of it. I can't imagine the carriers will cover more than half the cost, which still leaves consumers responsible for $500 at the register. That $500 buys them a device, and a data contract between $40 and $60 per month for 24 months. That's a hefty expense."

Goodby Tab.
How about a little more recent information from Samsung, from a Wallstreet Journal article reposted through Yahoo?

Quote:
"While a price hasn't been set, Samsung product executive Hankil Yoon said in an interview that it would likely retail for between $200 and $300, although the final price would vary depending on different carrier subsidies.

Mr. Yoon expects to ship 10 million units and take a third of the global tablet market next year."
Is that more acceptable?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The article is scare mongering. Android tablets are/will be significantly cheaper than iPads. They won't be free: but certainly the 7" models will be priced somewhere around low-end laptops, higher-end netbooks with which they directly compete. So ... $500ish at retail, less if you want a subsidy and a data contract.
There are no numbers from Samsung or whatever telcom will be selling it. If there were "scare mongering" in all of the articles that I've seen, Samsung should let us know.

I wouldn't consider a $200 to $400 3g Galaxy Tab (3g sold only thru a telcom) with a multiyear contract, as retail. Monthly charges of about $25 to $35 don't appeal to me either.

WiFi only? At what price? A $200 - $300 WiFi Galaxy Tab might be ok. But if you have a $500 (subsidized price) 3g Galaxy Tab no one would pay $100 - $300 more for the 3G model, PLUS the monthly charges.

I find the prices quoted in various articles ridiculous. But it is not just one or two articles from someone who may not like Samsung.

The iPad does too little, and is too restricted for me.

Samsung’s Galaxy Tab while interesting, sounds like a looser because of the price and monthly charge (by what ever article guesstimates you want to believe in).

Maybe if it had bluetooth, and they gave you a free bluetooth headset along with a free shoulder carry bag you could justify it as a "cell phone".

The next question is what to do with the monthly contract you have on you current cell phone, if it isn't with whoever has the Galaxy Tab.

It may be that I want too much. But I have a free cell phone (paid for by my employer). I have 3g internet for my Toshiba laptop/tablet (free from my employer). I have a very good ereader (mine). But I would like something for work that would also let me read on it. The Tab looks good. UNTIL you consider what may be the total cost of ownership.

I hope all the articles are wrong. Speak up Samsung!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
How about a little more recent information from Samsung, from a Wallstreet Journal article reposted through Yahoo?

Is that more acceptable?
I found something similar before reading your post. But -
"While a price hasn't been set, Samsung product executive Hankil Yoon said in an interview that it would likely retail for between $200 and $300, although the final price would vary depending on different carrier subsidies."

The lower the purchase price, the higher the monthly charge, etc. One way or the other you WILL pay the full price. "There ain't no free lunch."

I'm more interested is what a WiFi Tab might cost.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

That same article goes on to say that it will be priced slightly higher than the Galaxy phones. You can buy them without contract here for ~$499 CAD. At that price, I would seriously consider buying one from whatever provider carries it in Canada and moving my SIM to it from my existing plan. Since Bell, Telus, and Rogers all operate with the same GSM scheme (no CDMA, etc) that should be doable here.