Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #136
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanc View Post
And also pdf rendering is a lot faster than before, but sadly it still is slower than in duokan.
In earlier versions of Duokan - when it was still called simply "Duokan" - PDF rendering was also done using muPDF. I'm still angry at these guys for not releasing their source. Legal stuff aside, they just owe it to the community. But I'm not here for ranting, instead I'm a bit curious: what version of Duokan are you testing against?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #137
Germanc
Germanc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
In earlier versions of Duokan - when it was still called simply "Duokan" - PDF rendering was also done using muPDF. I'm still angry at these guys for not releasing their source. Legal stuff aside, they just owe it to the community. But I'm not here for ranting, instead I'm a bit curious: what version of Duokan are you testing against?
Duokan 2012 R2.1, it was out a week ago; but pdf performance had been the same since R1.1. The difference is really big with image heavy files (mostly scanned physics/math books), from 4-5s in mupdf to less than 1s in duokan. I would love to know what they are using for rendering.
Germanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #138
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
The djvu is working great. However I notice that at one time it was not kindle was not responsive to certain actions. Then I turned it off. When I switched it on again, the actions corresponding to the set of actions were then executed. Is there a way to move landscape directly ? Also when using pdf I don't seem to find a way to crop automatically to text region because some pdfs have a lot of white space at the margins.
Thanks once more, at least djvu is readable.
What do you mean by switch off? You mean turn kindle into sleep mode?

If the reader is busy rendering your book, then it will not be responsive to all the actions. Maybe your book has large images. I don't have this kindle of djvu file to test with. If you really want to fix this, you can send us the file.

Feature for moving to landscape directly is underdevelopment. We have working demo, but quite ugly ;P

If you want to auto crop margin in pdfs, try Shift+S or Shift+D. The first one means fit to content width while the latter one means fit to content height. This won't work for all pdfs, so sometime you might want to try manual cropping, which works quite well for me when reading djvus.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #139
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Duokan 2012 R2.1, it was out a week ago; but pdf performance had been the same since R1.1. The difference is really big with image heavy files (mostly scanned physics/math books), from 4-5s in mupdf to less than 1s in duokan. I would love to know what they are using for rendering.
1s to load the full page or just part of the page in zooming?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #140
Germanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
1s to load the full page or just part of the page in zooming?
I disabled cropping and used fit page. It's 1s to load the full page in duokan and 6s with mupdf under the same settings. I'm testing with a 110mb pdf with only images (scanned physics book). Also duokan seems to be using some kind of caching because going back and forward over the same pages is really fast, but sometimes if I change pages forward to fast it takes a little more to draw.

Edit: FWIW, these big files I'm testing also render faster with the built in pdf viewer

Last edited by Germanc; 03-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #141
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yeah, we also have caching of rendered pages - however, it only really works in full-page mode right now, since it was not yet adapted properly to the current state of zooming, panning, etc. - this is something to improve.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #142
Germanc

I like where the project is heading, and I think that next page caching is all that is lacking to be as fast as I need. While I prepare the poster with your names on it I promised before, I have a question: djvu TOC (outlines) is something planned ?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #143
Germanc

Quote:
I like where the project is heading, and I think that next page caching is all that is lacking to be as fast as I need. While I prepare the poster with your names on it I promised before, I have a question: djvu TOC (outlines) is something planned ?
Well, I gave it a shot to add djvu outlines support. Here is the diff. I tested with severeal djvu files I have and it works well, but I wouldn't trust my code. I haven't code in C in ages (not to mention I have no idea how lua, lua bindings or djvu works)

EDIT: oh well, it doesn't compile with arm-...-gcc. It worked well with sdl.

EDIT2: Now it compiles and list bookmarks correctly, but fails to change the page -.-

EDIT3: Damn single-double quotes. Now it DOES work.
Attached Files
File Type: txt djvu_diff.c.txt (2.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Germanc; 03-10-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #144
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Well, I gave it a shot to add djvu outlines support. Here is the diff. I tested with severeal djvu files I have and it works well, but I wouldn't trust my code. I haven't code in C in ages (not to mention I have no idea how lua, lua bindings or djvu works)
Thanks! Issue for tracking your contribution at: https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/issues/61

Last edited by dpavlin; 03-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #145
dave2008
Addict

Quote:

EDIT: oh well, it doesn't compile with arm-...-gcc. It worked well with sdl.

EDIT2: Now it compiles and list bookmarks correctly, but fails to change the page -.-

EDIT3: Damn single-double quotes. Now it DOES work.
OMG, I just went through the API last night and planned to work on it this morning, when woke up this morining, I saw your patch! Wonderful work Germanc!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #146
Germanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
OMG, I just went through the API last night and planned to work on it this morning, when woke up this morining, I saw your patch! Wonderful work Germanc!
Thanks ! Since I use my kindle mostly to read technical books, this project comes pretty handy to me, so I'm really happy to be useful ! I just sent a pull request but I'm not sure I did it the right way (first time using git or github).
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #147
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Thanks ! Since I use my kindle mostly to read technical books, this project comes pretty handy to me, so I'm really happy to be useful ! I just sent a pull request but I'm not sure I did it the right way (first time using git or github).
Patch merged into main repo. We have TOC in djvu now
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #148
Germanc

I see jumpstack as some sort of bookmarks, but "jump to %## percent" is adding elements to the list. Is that supposed to be that way ? I "fixed" it for myself (https://github.com/Germanc/kindlepdf...e9b09a3181f33c) and added "Jump 10 pages at a time" while I wait for you guys to add proper "go to page", which is one of the few features I'm still missing.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #149
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
I see jumpstack as some sort of bookmarks, but "jump to %## percent" is adding elements to the list. Is that supposed to be that way ? I "fixed" it for myself (https://github.com/Germanc/kindlepdf...e9b09a3181f33c) and added "Jump 10 pages at a time" while I wait for you guys to add proper "go to page", which is one of the few features I'm still missing.
Agree with you that jump to percent should not be added to jumpstack, since we have no idea what is in the page before the jump.

Feel to send a pull request if you feel your changes are ready to be merged to main repo

I will work on the goto popup now. After that, I guess the last thing I need is notes taking
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #150
dave2008
Addict

I have added the goto input box that can be invoked with G key. Feel free to get it from the main repo

I guess there is only one last thing we need to finish before the release: the new caching mechanism. Hawill is working on this, but he is a little busy in this weekends :-P

All the rest looks good for me so far, except the annoying memory usage in DXG when reading PDFs with large images. But I can live with it since I only have K3 ;P