Notices

Old 11-18-2022, 07:26 AM   #16
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There appears to be some name confusion here. KF8 is Amazon's name for the format calibre calls AZW3 because it typically uses a .azw3 file name extension.

The Project Gutenberg file for Kindle is in KF8 format but downloads with a .mobi file extension. If you rename it to have a .azw3 extension it will work better in calibre and on Kindle devices.

This change of file extension will occur automatically upon import to calibre if you have the DeDRM plugin installed and enabled. (This happens even if the file does not contain DRM.)
Quoth mentioned that they could be renamed but I've not tried that yet. I definitely have DeDRM installed, I've used calibre for many years, but kf8 is how it downloaded for me and it is how it still is in calibre. And as I showed you Calibre can't convert it.
This all sounds odd to me. I shall try later at just renaming the files and see if that helps.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:17 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Occasionally I've even had to rename an Amazon file to get it to load in Calibre. Wasn't an azw3/kf8.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Problem solved.
I initially sent the files direct to my dropbox and downloaded them from there. They were listed as kf8
However I just downloaded them directly from the site and they are mobi's, but when I import to Calibre they become azw3.
Bloody odd, but all is good now, thanks very much for the help I appreciate the time you all put in.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #19
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
.KF8 files I should have said get them into Calibre not Kindle.
I just drag any ebook files from File Explorer over Calibre button in the taskbar, and then, upon Calibre window getting focus, release them into it.

That works for any of those Aesop files, despite when I tested adding, I had to click OK for duplicates because I already had them (on epub format).

BTW I never noticed that the Gutenberg .mobi gets a .azw3 extension upon being loaded into the library.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #20
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
Problem solved.
I initially sent the files direct to my dropbox and downloaded them from there. They were listed as kf8
However I just downloaded them directly from the site and they are mobi's, but when I import to Calibre they become azw3.
Bloody odd, but all is good now, thanks very much for the help I appreciate the time you all put in.
ah, nice. glad you got that sorted out!
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post

BTW I never noticed that the Gutenberg .mobi gets a .azw3 extension upon being loaded into the library.
Gutenberg "real" mobi files stay as mobi on import to Gutenberg.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote