Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #1
Pipp8888
Pipp8888 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen
E-reader for pdf files

Hey everybody,
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation but lately I'm reading some pdf files/books and I'm struggling with the kindle. I have an Ipad as well but I much prefer reading on an Eink screen, so I would like to find a model of e-reader more suitable for pdf files and with a bigger screen then my kindle.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Pipp8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipp8888 View Post
Hey everybody,
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation but lately I'm reading some pdf files/books and I'm struggling with the kindle. I have an Ipad as well but I much prefer reading on an Eink screen, so I would like to find a model of e-reader more suitable for pdf files and with a bigger screen then my kindle.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
The problem is that you really should have a 10.3" or 13" screen for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #3
Pipp8888

Do you have any e-reader model to suggest with a big screen size and a nice software to read pdf files?
Thank you
Old 11-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Lots of options these days. Boox Note Air 2, Lumi 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2. There's a few others too but this should give you somewhere to look.

All can handle PDFs out of the box. I have a Note Air 1 and it's very good at reading PDFs. The built in software has a lot of useful features like automargin cropping and you can annotate PDFs with a stylus. Works well.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The reMarkable has a nice PDF reader but a total pain to put files on or off and has only a file browser. Also only 6 G Flash.
The Elipsa has improved lately adding the "change page while margins cropped (zoom)" feature, but KOReader is easy to install. Has 32G Flash
The Kobo Sage 8″ actually has more pixels than all the 10.3″ ereaders as it's 300 dpi and they are all 227 dpi, but the as yet not available 10.2″ Kindle Scribe is 300 dpi, it might be best.
A second hand original reMarkable has prior, home & next buttons and will auto OTA upgrade to similar FW to the reMarkable 2 and has same storage. Likely both reMarkables are worst of the 227 dpi 10.3″ ereaders due to only 6G Flash, only Network USB (so you use a browser or their app which is limited platforms). The Boox might be somewhere between Elipsa and reMarkable in usability, but I don't have one, so not sure. I do have a reMarkable, Elipsa and Sage. Forget a S/H Kindle DX or DXG because though 9.7″ it's really slow and too low resolution, any 6.8″ or 7″ 300 dpi ereader is better.

Elipsa is best for Calibre Library management and has native handwriting recognition, though only in separate notebooks. Pen and cover included.

The Scribe might be best, but we don't know yet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
The Boox devices are better than the Elipsa. Better pen (Wacom battery less), warmlight, faster processor and more RAM and already had features for changing the page while autocropped...

KOreader is easy to install if you want that because it just runs Android. It's worse than the built in Neoreader for PDFs though.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Lots of options these days. Boox Note Air 2, Lumi 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2. There's a few others too but this should give you somewhere to look.

All can handle PDFs out of the box. I have a Note Air 1 and it's very good at reading PDFs. The built in software has a lot of useful features like automargin cropping and you can annotate PDFs with a stylus. Works well.
I'm not sure of the Kindle Scribe. It depends if Amazon forces silly L/R margins on PDF like they do reflowable eBooks. If the answer is yes, then the Scribe is out.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not sure of the Kindle Scribe. It depends if Amazon forces silly L/R margins on PDF like they do reflowable eBooks. If the answer is yes, then the Scribe is out.
It's worse than that! But I agree.

You need to crop/zoom the white space margins that are needed for paper and be able to turn the page. Kobo finally realised that, but at least KOReader (no longer needed) is easy to install on Kobo. It's impossible on many versions of Kindle firmware. Almost all PDFs have large margins for print.

If you can't crop /zoom off the white space in a PDF and turn the page at that setting then the Scribe would be no better than an 8″ ereader for many PDFs.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
The Boox devices are better than the Elipsa. Better pen (Wacom battery less), warmlight, faster processor and more RAM and already had features for changing the page while autocropped...

KOreader is easy to install if you want that because it just runs Android. It's worse than the built in Neoreader for PDFs though.
Have you used an Elipsa?
The battery is about 30c and lasts months. Maybe 6.
I've used two kinds of Wacom pen (traditional and EMR on reMarkable), I think the MS Surface compatible pen used by Kobo is better.
Before the changing page page while cropped was added it was trivial to use KOReader on Kobo. I've also installed KOReader on an Android eInk and the Kobo was just as easy to install on.
The amount of RAM is only an issue for Android Apps. It's not an issue on any Kobo that runs recent FW.

Does the Boox have native handwriting, shape & maths recognition? Kobo Sage & Elipsa use the Nebo app, but the free version for iPad is less features, the bought version on Android & iPad is similar. Do you have the 10.3″ Boox? Does the Wacom pen work fully with Android apps that use a digitiser like Nebo (it should)?

Also Kobo is better supported by Calibre than any other ereader. The Kindle & Kobo USB MS mode is far better than Android's USB MTP (I have the Boyue Mars Android eink with later OS/Android version).

I've not seen any Android App or ereader with as good Library interface as Kobo (MyBooks + search) or even Kindle. Even Pocketbook and Lithium are poor Library GUI. KOReader can use Calibre Metadata, but for 1000s of documents it's painful compared to Kobo or Kindle, worse even than old Sony PRS-x50 series.
But Collections & Series can be pain on Kindle compared with Kobo managed by Calibre.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-05-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's worse than that! But I agree.

You need to crop/zoom the white space margins that are needed for paper and be able to turn the page. Kobo finally realised that, but at least KOReader (no longer needed) is easy to install on Kobo. It's impossible on many versions of Kindle firmware. Almost all PDFs have large margins for print.

If you can't crop /zoom off the white space in a PDF and turn the page at that setting then the Scribe would be no better than an 8″ ereader for many PDFs.
I would hope Amazon did not make such mistakes on the Scribe when viewing PDF.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:20 PM   #11
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
I would also consider the Pocketbook Inkpad Lite model or reMarkable 2, which meets your requirements and costs approximately ~ $240 (from Amazon) & $279 for rEmarkable 2

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pr...ok-inkpad-lite
https://remarkable.com/store/remarkable-2

A minor negative point is perhaps only the lower resolution (Inkpad Lite).
Otherwise, I think it is a very correct device for the price.

PS: It also depends on whether you need to use a pen.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 11-05-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:02 PM   #12
Pipp8888

Many thanks to everyone for the infos and suggestions. I just read your answers and now i can really focus my attention on the right options. I forgot to say that I don't really need a pen to take Notes. I mostly just need to read pdf files.
I can now start my research and see which of the models you guys suggest me would suits better my needs.
Thank you all again
Old 11-06-2022, 04:18 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I forgot to say that I don't really need a pen to take Notes. I mostly just need to read pdf files.
Then pick any 10.x″ eink, though reMarkable is worst to copy pdfs to and Kobo is best if there are 1000s of PDFs managed by Calibre. The Android ones with Playstore are best if you need direct access to a library that only uses Apps. No-one really knows exactly what the Scribe is like yet.
If your eyes are good an 8″ 300 dpi (Like Sage or similar screen) has more dots than 10.3″ 227 dpi models.
Ones with USB MS (Kobo, Kindle etc) rather than USB MTP (All Android) are easiest copy files to. The reMarkable and any others only with network access (Wifi or USB) are worst to bulk copy to.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:32 AM   #14
Pipp8888

UPDATE

I found a second hand Boox Note Pro bought in March 2020 (1st generation???) and a second hand Pocketbook InkPad Lite, both in really good conditions. Should I go for one of them?
P.S. the pocketbook is cheaper
Old 11-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I found a second hand Boox Note Pro bought in March 2020 (1st generation???) and a second hand Pocketbook InkPad Lite, both in really good conditions.
Boox has 227 dpi, Pocketbook 150.
I would prefer Boox Note Pro.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote