Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-09-2022, 04:25 AM   #16
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I agree it's extremely perceptible, but I'm not too bothered by the page turning thing unless I'm trying to browse around a bit. For example, what did they say about this 2-3 pages ago, or what's written in the endnotes. But that's quite common, at least for me. During more linear reading it's a bit of a natural micro-break, not dissimilar to reading a paper book.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:11 AM   #17
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen-ated View Post
Well, I open a large book for the first time once, and I turn a page of that book maybe 1000 times. So it is a lesser evil for the thing that happens 0.1% as often to be slower.

For me a .6 second page turn feels "tolerable but not great" while a .2 second one feels "quite good". it's very noticeable.

as a person who doesn't notice the difference, you have less need to prioritize a reader's page turning speed when making a decision about what to buy, because for you those differences feel minimal.

But it's not really helpful to go around telling people those differences are minimal, as if that were true for everyone. if the person you're advising is more perceptive than you, you're giving them bad advice.
It was indeed an exaggeration on my part to point out that differences of one or two tenths of a second are irrelevant in practice, although I don't think my advice to choose the device that best suits one's tastes and needs is wrong (this also includes KOReader's execution speed). Normally we do not choose a device based on a single characteristic, but this can be a determining factor in rejecting one. On the basis of speed alone I don't know which is the fastest device at the moment (maybe the Kindle PW5?), but I find it very difficult to tell an owner of a Kobo Clara HD, a PockeBook Era or a Tolino Vision 6 that they won't enjoy reading with KOReader because their device is slower than the PW5 (or for some other reason). Sorry, I can't help it. I may be wrong, but I'm not convinced by this categorical dismissal of certain devices, perhaps because my experience of using KOReader on different brands and different operating systems has made me realise that the differences when reading a book are not so obvious (that's what I wanted to show in the video I posted). At least to my eyes and the way I read. So I can consider myself lucky to be able to enjoy KOReader on different devices and not just one or two.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert