Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
fsirett
fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo - New and better than the very old Papyre
Hello, I am new here

I am new, but I can see already that I might find this to be somewhere I will feel at home.

I had some problems with Calibre, that were soon solved, and I took a look around and found you have a sort of book club where I can get electronic copies of a number of classics! I love classics.

I suppose I should mention my reader. It is a very old Papyre reader. I cannot change the battery, and the battery does not look as if it is long for this world, so I am looking at a new reader.

I have heard wonderful things about the Kobo, and I would rather go there, but there is a cheap Kindle that looks good as well. The big thing, for me, is that I am not happy with Amazon in general.

In any case, as long as there is a breath left in my reader (now more than ten years old) I am not replacing it. I have a stubborn streak that will not let me give anything up until I have squeezed the last usage possible out of it. Not always a good idea, especially when I find a forgotten package in the freezer. No label, no idea of the substance, must be edible.
fsirett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsirett View Post
Not always a good idea, especially when I find a forgotten package in the freezer. No label, no idea of the substance, must be edible.
Welcome.

Bad idea with food, good idea with eReaders.

Other than the built in lighting, which I hardly ever need, I don't see much eReader improvement over the past decade.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
timsup2nothin
timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!timsup2nothin will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Well...I mean if it is in my freezer I must have put it there, and I wouldn't have put it there if I didn't intend to take it out and eat it...

Hi by the way.

I'm Tim
timsup2nothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
fsirett
fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.fsirett can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo - New and better than the very old Papyre
Of course. I am late again. Make that "tardy"

First of all, I should have looked back more than a year ago, but I have had an all out war with my Papyre reader.

My reader decided to put put bars in front of the screen and take twenty four hours of charging for twenty minutes of reading. I am nothing if not stubborn...and probably cheap.

In any case it took to making me charge for forty eight hours just to get it to turn on and, when I opened the case, I found the battery, but it was soldered in. Eventually it went to the wall and then over it, at least in spirit and it did not work again.

I spent nearly six months looking at readers and wejghing the options. I settled on a Kobo Clara HD. I am happy.

I often read on dark train platforms and sometimes in dark trains. Having to carry a portable light was a pain, and the batteries died at the most inopportune times. I wanted a light.

The new reader was a very good match. I hae a sleep cover and so I have had the odd time when I have run down the battery because when I close the cover and it goes to sleep, it still uses quite a lot of power.

I have also had a long few months of adding books to the reader and completing the books that have been left half read when the old machine died. Or is that when it became "late."

Sort of reminds me of my friend who claimed he was a reincarnated composer. He always said he was "Bach" again.

That even smelled bad on this end!
fsirett is offline   Reply With Quote