Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #5806
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
It's ok. Some people just don't enjoy narration of books. However, one day you may find it is the only way you can read a book, so never say never! I buy my audiobooks because my library doesn't have what I most enjoy.
My statement was misconstrued, clearly. I love audiobooks.

I just hate Amazon and the Audible model. And if audiobooks were to suddenly become the only way I could read, I would be using the NLS's Audiobooks for the Blind Service or similar services.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #5807
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My mother has macular degeneration and uses NLS. It is great. She tells them her interests and authors and they send her books based on those recommendations. They supply the audio player and cartridges with up to 10 books on them When you finish a cartridge you put it in a prepaid mailer and place it in your mailbox. they then send you more books. She has had as many as 10 cartridges at any one time. She goes through them fairly quickly and always has another book waiting.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #5808
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Most audiobook software gives you an option to increase the playback speed, which lets you counteract the nearly unbearable experience of a slow narrator. I nonetheless find audiobooks to be unenjoyable, as they don't require the same mental engagement that reading does. The audibook keeps playing, regardless of whether you're paying attention.
In my testing, that helped a bit but I'm used to reading at speeds where speech is not very listenable. Say I take an audio book that is intended for ~140WPM (the speed I've seen recommended to maximize intelligibility) and speed it up to ~3.5x, that gives me a somewhat pathetic 490WPM and a sound stream that without pitch correction is unlistenable and even with pitch correction is painful for me to listen to.

I do have to agree with the issue where the audiobook keeps playing when I am interrupted and trying to back up to locate your place is a pain.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-25-2022 at 01:18 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:12 AM   #5809
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I got through that Audible sale and stuck to my wishlist/current series. So many books, need to up my game in listening/reading! Good thing winter is on its way.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #5810
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My mother has macular degeneration and uses NLS. It is great.
Apache
I have years of audiobooks and am trying to work out how to set it up if I lose more vision. I don't have just Audible and want to be able to access all of my audiobooks should I find that necessary. NLS is great (set it up for my late BIL) but doesn't have my favorite stuff - very limited on scifi, British mystery writers and WW2. I have the same problem with my library.
Advert
Old 10-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #5811
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My statement was misconstrued, clearly. I love audiobooks.

I just hate Amazon and the Audible model. And if audiobooks were to suddenly become the only way I could read, I would be using the NLS's Audiobooks for the Blind Service or similar services.
I love audible companions where I can read and listen at the same time. I have about 350 of them.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #5812
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
During the Hurricane Fiona power outage, I read twenty books (and three of those were multi-book omnibus editions). So I don't think I feel too bad about buying a few more books than usual.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #5813
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
During the Hurricane Fiona power outage, I read twenty books (and three of those were multi-book omnibus editions). So I don't think I feel too bad about buying a few more books than usual.
Holey cow! Although if they are short books, I would not be surprised. I tend to read long ones these days, but still have a good sized collection of cozies. Wednesday, I spent most of the day at the ER with family member. I find that I can't read with the the distractions that entails, but had no problem listening to an entire audiobook. Good use of time and glad my iphone speaks into my hearing aid. Family member will be home either Saturday or Sunday according to doc. FWIW, I always read during power outs. Always did that as a kid with flashlights.

Ok, so last month, I did buy quite a bit but did stick with fill-ins of series. I bypassed another 18 books and hope there is another good sale like that next year. Trying to build that vet account up for the next crisis/illness.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-07-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:49 AM   #5814
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It ranged from 180 pages to 600 pages for the regular books -- the omnibus editions were 1337, 1266, and 727 pages respectively.

I did clear out my active 'to be read' list (I usually keep about 10-15 books on there at a time) and had to go digging through my reader for other unread books

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-07-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:58 PM   #5815
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It ranged from 180 pages to 600 pages for the regular books -- the omnibus editions were 1337, 1266, and 727 pages respectively.

I did clear out my active 'to be read' list (I usually keep about 10-15 books on there at a time) and had to go digging through my reader for other unread books
Very cool. You are a swift reader!
Old 10-11-2022, 11:14 PM   #5816
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

It was mostly because with the power out there was nothing else to distract me, lol.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:11 PM   #5817
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Having another go at trimming down my unread book pile

Ending the year with 183 owned but unread ebooks and paperbooks. I began with 179, deleted 1, found 1, and acquired 20 newbies. Of these owned books I read 16.

Overall, I read 96 books of which 50 were borrowed, 16 were owned, 12 were audiobooks either borrowed or owned, and 18 were advance reading copies.

My goal for the next year is to try to only buy books I plan to read right away. Even if they’re not on sale. I think I’ll spend less that way than by buying bargains that I just end up hoarding.

01/31 - 184
02/28 - 186
03/31 - 187
04/30 - 187
05/31 - 188
06/30 - 189
07/31 - 188
08/31 - 186
09/30 - 184
10/31 - 183
11/30 - 179
12/31 - 179

Last edited by wandalynn; 01-01-2024 at 01:37 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:31 AM   #5818
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't count now...
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:44 AM   #5819
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I managed to buy fewer books than I read in 2022. Again. I might have got the hang of this...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:18 AM   #5820
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
2022 was something of a mixed bag for me. Best is that I spent less than I did in the prior three years. I also bought fewer books than in 2021 and 2019. Worst is that I bought a few more books than I read.

I’m feeling hopeful about 2023. I seem to have lost the book acquisition lust at least to an extent; what I have looks as appealing as the new shiny. Also, lately I’ve been resisting the deals cum cash that Amazon promotes, which are never as good as Amazon makes them look.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote