Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Johansen
Johansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony SR650
Automatic overwriting ebooks...

I have this problem.

I have set up calibre with two different databases. One more or less "clean", and one where I have tinkered with the books.

The problem is, when I move books from one database to another (in Calibre, keeping one database active, and copying books manually from the other, and dropping the new books IN the old book (upper right corner)).

I believed that I would get a message from Calibre if the book was allready in the system (like you get when you add books as "new"... "This book already exists"). Or something like what happens when you merge books, that the format allready existing is kept, and any "new" books of the same format is deleted.

And I suddenly realized this is NOT what happens.

The NEW version of the book replaces the old one, without warning. (This is a problem as I tend to stumble through Calibre, more or less half blind (and sober, I promise), and sometimes manage to mark the wrong book.

My working method:
1. Find book to fix in the "clean" folder. Book1: Book1.epub
2. Mark the book in the UNCLEAN folder (Book1.epub2)
3. Fix book1.epub with appropriate software.
4. Update the UNCLEAN folder by dragging the book into calibre. The unclean calibre-folder should now have two files, Book1.epub and Book1.epub2. (I do this to keep track of what books I have edited and what I have not. At some point I will have to delete all *.epub2, but I do have enough disk-space for now, so...)

The problem is when I mark Book2 instead of Book1 in Calibre. I get no warning that the Book2.epub allready exists, and suddenly I have a Book2.epub that is actually the edited Book1.epub.

What I am asking is: would it be possible (and even smart) to add a feature that warns the user that "there is allready a file named Book2.epub" when dragging books/new formats into existing books?

Or will I just have to learn how to read properly, so that I stop making stupid mistakes like this? (I'll start reading, but I still think a warning would be smart...)
Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Are you using two different libraries? Cleaning the books up in one library then copying the books to the other library? Your work flow talks about folders not libraries, so I'm a little confused.

I set my automerge to create a new record if a duplicate format is found. Then now and again I run the find duplicates plugin and if 2 library entries exist for a given book I analyze which record/book I actually wanted in the library and delete the other.

Thankfully this rarely happens in my workflow but when it does I don't lose anything.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Johansen
Johansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony SR650
Yes, I am using two different libraries. Or more correctly, I am using ONE, but have a backup with the untampered files. (I am an accountant, so I tend to be over-cautious (if that is even a word).

The folders in my work flow are Calibre-folders. Each book having its own folder is a great feature, but like I said, I manage to mess this up by marking the wrong one and updating the new file. A warning that I already had a .whatever file in that folder would solve a lot of my problems.

Am I really the only one having different versions of my ebook-files? And the only one who have deleted files I should not have deleted because of the missing "this file already exists"-warning?
Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
You still confuse the heck out of me, hopefully someone with more insight will come along.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote