Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Old K1 may die, advice on new models?

My old reliable, four-year-old Kindle 1 is still plugging along, but recently I began having some glitches. Customer support, surprisingly, could not help. Probably because nobody there ever saw a Kindle 1.

Anyhow, it ain't dead yet, but may soon be, so I hied myself to the Kindle site to see whether I would want a Kindle 2 or Kindle 3.

To my surprise, I see there are now several flavors, including the Fire. It is a little difficult to decide which I want. I really am not interested in a touch screen, so that seems to narrow it down to the $79 (WHAT a bargain!) or the Keyboard 3G at $139. Considering what I paid for the original one and what you get with the new models, these prices are amazing,

OK, I have to admit I am tempted by the Fire. My wife has an iPad, which is cool, as the things it does well, it does very well. She would have gotten the Fire, except it does not have a camera which was a deal breaker for her.

But, here is the thing. I very rarely need to get online or receive email except on my desktop computer, although that feature would be helpful now and then. I have absolutely no interest in games, music, all those "apps" (which I call "programs") or any of the other bells and whistles.

I would like it as a reader because I do often read in bed and the backlighted screen really is nice, although I admire the iInk screen too. As it is only $60 more than the Keyboard 3G model, it may be hard to resist.

So, finally, I am wondering if anybody has any or pros/cons about either model? There are so many user reviews that I can't wade through too many of them, and I don't get a clear idea of strengths and weakness of either of these.

Opinions?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd suggest hitting a Target, WalMart, BestBuy, Staples, etc. as most of them stock a variety of Kindles and you can sample them yourself. If you're fine reading from a backlit screen the only other thing I can think of that might be an issue/might not with the Fire is that the battery needs to be charged a lot more often.

Two things have me reading almost exclusively on my eInk devices as opposed to my tablet devices. I often read for hours at a time and find eInk more comfortable and my eInk devices don't provide the potential distractions that a device which does games and the internet does.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The differences are relatively minor. The new K4 has a shorter battery life (1 month vs 2) and half as much storage space as the K3 (1.3GB vs 3.3GB user accessible) . Amazon says that the K4 can hold 1,400 ebooks vs 3,500 on the K3, and that is about right if some of your ebooks have many illustrations. The K3 also has a 3.5mm headphone jack (audiobooks). The K4 is lighter and probably turns pages faster. The screen is the same, and much better than on the K1.

Obviously, the K3 has a physical keyboard and you can judge from your K1 how much that matters (probably not much).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, one thing none of the newer Kindle's have that your K1 does is a memory card slot to expand the memory. Just in case that matters.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The newer models don't have the free 3g web surfing, but the Kindle 3 (the Kindle Keyboard) does. Or at least, that is what I remember reading. This may not be important to you, however. I'm tempted to get the Kindle DX myself, as I'd love to have a large screen e-ink reader. I have a tablet, but I find that I only use it to read PDFs that don't render well on smaller devices, and which I need to make extensive notes on (in pages, on my iPad). I much prefer reading on an eink screen with a lighted cover, personally. I don't mind the backlit screen for short periods of time, but I would still be interested in getting a 9.7 (or larger) eink screen.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you take notes alot. You will want Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch.

The Kindle 4 which is the $79 model has a game controller type keyboard. This reader is great if all you gonna do is read on it, don't need TTS or audio or alot of storage. I love mine because it's tiny! It's like having a pocket reader with a 6" screen. It's the smallest Kindle and perfect for traveling.

I own a Kindle Keyboard and it's a nice reader. I find it slower then the newer Kindles but I still use mine. It sits by my bed and with Personal Document sync the newer Kindles have I can switch back and forth between my K3 or K4.

I also own a Kindle Fire. It's a nice tablet. I use it for reading when the lights are out. It's a little heavier than eInk Kindles but nice to hold but I find I prefer Eink when the lights are on.

The Kindle Touch seems to be the popular choice at the moment but it has no turn page buttons.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Another negative with the Fire is that it is 70% as heavier than a Kindle3, over twice as heavy at the basic "Kindle" (aka Kindle4 or Kindle4NT). Its not that its heavy for its class; its just that the newer eInk ereaders have become very light compared to any of the similar sized tablets.

Kindle 1 = 10.3oz
Kindle 3 (aka Kindle Keyboard) = 8.5oz WiFi (8.7oz WiFi+3g)
Kindle 4 = 6oz
Kindle Touch (5) = 7.5oz WiFi (7.8oz WiFi+3g)
Kindle Fire = 14.6oz
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Kindle 4 which is the $79 model has a game controller type keyboard. This reader is great if all you gonna do is read on it, don't need TTS or audio or alot of storage. I love mine because it's tiny! It's like having a pocket reader with a 6" screen. It's the smallest Kindle and perfect for traveling.
Lets not forget that this model has half the memory that the Kindle Keyboard has. Since you are not interested in a touch screen I would recommend the Kindle Keyboard.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Lets not forget that this model has half the memory that the Kindle Keyboard has. Since you are not interested in a touch screen I would recommend the Kindle Keyboard.
Not really an issue. You get 5GB of personal cloud space. You can upload your books to Amazon servers and retrieve and remove them like Amazon books. The Kindle gets cranky and slow when you put too many books on it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
With all these new models "old" kindle keyboards are popping up on ebay, craigslist etc... you can get a 3g Kindle 3 for as low as 80$, I'd keep an eye on that.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I guess you forgot to mention that it's impossible to compare a tablet with an e-ink reader regarding the effect on long-term reading on the eyes. Basically, you compare two different technologies. As for "reading at night in bed", an external light will do the thing.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
Based on what you wrote I think you should go for the 79$ kindle. If you travel some, you might want the 3G keyboard.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Thanks for a load of great information, all of which is very helpful.

Sounds indeed as though the $79 new Kindle is a bargain all right, as all I want to do is read, so that is very attractive.

One more question. My K1 of course has Whispernet that connects everywhere on the Sprint network. As the K4 does not have 3G, I don't quite understand whether it is possible to get a book sent wherever I am if it is in ATT territory, or only via WiFi. I know I can do this at home with my network, but often I want to buy (after reading the sample) a book while away from home. I can do that now, can I with the K4?

Disclaimer: In my post, I wrote "iInk" rather than what I well know is "eInk." Just shows how persuasive that damned Apple advertising is.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
One more question. My K1 of course has Whispernet that connects everywhere on the Sprint network. As the K4 does not have 3G, I don't quite understand whether it is possible to get a book sent wherever I am if it is in ATT territory, or only via WiFi. I know I can do this at home with my network, but often I want to buy (after reading the sample) a book while away from home. I can do that now, can I with the K4?
The K4 is WiFi only (either your home WiFi or WiFi at places like restaurants & coffee shops), no 3G of any kind so you need a WiFi connection to get books over wireless.

For 3G you'd need the Kindle Touch (3G only for books [& Wikipedia?]) or the Kindle Keyboard 3G which can be used for books and also web browsing. Both use AT&T for their cellular/3G connection.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The K4 is WiFi only (either your home WiFi or WiFi at places like restaurants & coffee shops), no 3G of any kind so you need a WiFi connection to get books over wireless.

For 3G you'd need the Kindle Touch (3G only for books [& Wikipedia?]) or the Kindle Keyboard 3G which can be used for books and also web browsing. Both use AT&T for their cellular/3G connection.
Thanks, Oak. Too bad, but there goes the K4. I'll go back and take a closer look at the Touch.