Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Why use calibre instead of transfering by hand?

I'm still living happily with my old ebookwise device.

I've typically exported from calibre in rtf/txt, and then converted to the ebookwise device's format in the Ebookwise Librarian software.

From there, I simply inserted the smart media card into a card reader and copy over the newest books I want to add manually. I've avoided using the usb cord (it's a variant nothing else I own uses) and the management software in ebookwise librarian as I found it more arduous and irritating.

I'm at the point that I'm considering replacing the device with something from this century (though I'm really hoping something backlit shows up soon....Adam), in which case I understand I can transfer files directly from calibre to the device.

I'm guessing that if the device has wifi or bluetooth, I could do the transfers without doing the usb wire thing. Are there any other benefits? Can I remove them from the device as well via calibre?

I guess I'm wondering why I'd do this instead of copying the epub file (or whatever the device needs) manually via an SD card or, if I must, usb wire. What are the benefits I'm not seeing/understanding?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I'm guessing that if the device has wifi or bluetooth, I could do the transfers without doing the usb wire thing. Are there any other benefits?
1) Many people don't have - or want or need - enough computer knowledge to transfer files "by hand".
2) Many people (not me) find it more comfortable to transfer books from Calibre's GUI rather than using other means.
3) Calibre may transfer additional metadata, e.g. collections for Sony readers.
4) It may not be possible to transfer files to some devices via traditional methods (e.g. PRS500 and, I expect [having had experience with iPod's approach to music management], iPod/iPhone/iPad).

Personally, I stick to the good old "copy in a file manager" method.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Using calibre's device management gives a few advantages:

1) Calibre can (usually) match books on the device with books in the library, so you know what is where.
2) When you send books to the device, the metadata in the book is updated (if possible).
3) You can more easily sync the library and the device. The device view has an 'add to library' function, and the library has both add to device and remove from device functions.
4) If the device has special requirements (most do not), the calibre's device driver knows about them.

As pepak says, for many people, using the file system is more convenient. For others such as starson17, the content server is the way to go. The content server may be for you, because it doesn't require a cable (but does require networking).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Thanks everyone...

It's sounding like, if I had a wifi nook or pocketbook 302 (?), I'd likely be able to do everything wirelessly using calibre....that would be enough to get me to switch processes...there are those times at 11:37pm when I finish a book and realize nothing on my device, right now, grabs me, and my bed is too warm to get out of.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm a Sony 505 user, so of course I like the Collections. But the main reason for using it instead of opening up a file manager, locating the books I want to transfer, dragging them around, etc., is simplicity: click books, click "transfer to device", all done.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Thanks everyone...

It's sounding like, if I had a wifi nook or pocketbook 302 (?), I'd likely be able to do everything wirelessly using calibre....that would be enough to get me to switch processes...there are those times at 11:37pm when I finish a book and realize nothing on my device, right now, grabs me, and my bed is too warm to get out of.
Now you know why Starson17 uses the content server ... I've also got a warm bed at 11:37 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote