Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
crod
crod began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaquix View Post
is this necessary? couldn't you just use your own address? will this circumvent the "this item ships to us addresses only" restriction?
Exactly, that is the reason to enter any US address, to circumvent their restrictions about shipping only to US addresses. Once I got my account setup like that (US address with Canadian credit card) everything works as expected. I can buy e-books on the B&N website and then get them immediately on the Nook over Wi-Fi.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #17
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
They (B&N) used to restrict ebooks purchases to US IP addresses, but doesn't look like they're doing it anymore.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's strange. I got my Nook yesterday (in Thailand) and I still cannot register my Nook over my home wifi hotspot (I already have B&N Account). I've tried several times last night and this morning; it just came back with error message something like "cannot register right now, please try again later" (not the exact word). I know that my wifi works because I can use it to view online catalogue on my Nook, view the book cover, excerpt, etc.

Anyone can confirm whether I should be able to register my nook here in Thailand?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I thought the wifi portion only worked when inside/at B&N stores.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

No-no, wifi works with any hotspot and you should be able to both register and download your B&N purchased content.
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
jadestone81
jadestone81 began at the beginning.

Hi crod (or anyone who has a nook in Canada),

Did your registration work fine over your wifi network? Any other problems you have come across that are due to being in Canada?

Thanks!
jadestone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
stangri
Addict

I can't remember if I registered it in US or in Canada originally, but I've had to wipe it recently and been having problems registering over WiFi. Luckily enough was going back to US next day I reset my nook so I've registered it over 3g there.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #23
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just got my Nook in Thailand. I can confirm that I cannot register my Nook via my home wifi; or any other wifi hotspot outside my home. So I cannot even download book samples.

However, I can download the Daily, and see updated list of books under Shop menu via my home wifi; but cannot download any book samples.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
crod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadestone81 View Post
Hi crod (or anyone who has a nook in Canada),

Did your registration work fine over your wifi network? Any other problems you have come across that are due to being in Canada?

Thanks!
Worked fine at my place. No issues and no need for any type of VPN connection.

CR
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
crod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I've just got my Nook in Thailand. I can confirm that I cannot register my Nook via my home wifi; or any other wifi hotspot outside my home. So I cannot even download book samples.

However, I can download the Daily, and see updated list of books under Shop menu via my home wifi; but cannot download any book samples.
From what I remember Canada was ok but not other places. There may be a restriction, based on IP address. Have you tried to use a VPN solution to see if that helps?

CR
Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #26
Aydin
Aydin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone with a nook in Canada,

Are you able to buy the B&N eBooks marked as "ship to US addresses only" in Canada without doing anything? or do you just have access to those marked as "ship to US and Canadian addresses only"?

If you are able to buy any eBook, do you use a US shipping address, or VPN, or anything?
Aydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
stangri
Addict

Back in late October before I actually got my nook I was able to "buy" free books (courtesy of Google) *only* thru VPN. Back then the B&N Support had a page which explicitly stated that you need a US IP-address to buy ebooks from their store.

But recently I "bought" this book for free without any kind of VPN with my Canadian IP address.

My experience so far is limited to free books only tho, still I hope it helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #28
crod

If you are in Canada you can buy ANY book online, as long as your address on your account is in the US. That is how I bought all my books (all paid, none free). I bought on the PC without any VPN connection and later simply download it on the Nook.

CR
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #29
Comrade Yeti
Comrade Yeti began at the beginning.

Crod,

I'm heading to NY to pick up a Nook, quick question on your credit card. You don't run into problems with the credit card having a Canadian address? You just change the shipping address to the US, or do you change both?
Comrade Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #30
crod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Yeti View Post
Crod,

I'm heading to NY to pick up a Nook, quick question on your credit card. You don't run into problems with the credit card having a Canadian address? You just change the shipping address to the US, or do you change both?
Change both shipping AND billing to the same US address you want to use. B&N for some reason does NOT check the credit card address. That is how it is setup on my B&N account and it does work.

Yesterday just to test I tried buying an e-book right from the Nook itself, connected to my home Wi-Fi (no VPN, etc). It worked perfectly, as if I were in the US. Processed the order immediately and seconds later the book was already showing up on the Nook.

Canada has indeed its issues and high taxes but the fact it is 'right beside' the US for me is a big plus. All the benefits of such huge market in the US just one hour away driving from my house.

CR