Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
is there a dutch firmware for the prs-505 ?

I have both a 505 and a prs 600.
The prs 600 is in dutch, the 505 ( firmware 1.2.0018050 ) only in english.
Is there a way to get a dutch firmware, is there any ?
I called sony netherlands but they told me, the 505 is obsolete, enjoy your 600 ( free translation for 10 minutes of calling )
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

*Sorry if this is not the way of asking, I am new here and dyslectic so it is a bit of a problem to find the right keywords to type in and search)
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Hi, and welcome on MR! your message sounds quite fine

From what I know there's no Dutch software :/ at least at the moment. I wouldn't try the new firmware, because a quick perusing of the thread dedicated to that would make me quite unsure about trying it on my reader!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi Nick,

I have to double Juliette, there is no Dutch translation at the moment.
BUT kartu's PRS+ is easy to translate.
See Posts 1319 and 1320

You can get PRS+ here

HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Hi Nick,

I have to double Juliette, there is no Dutch translation at the moment.
BUT kartu's PRS+ is easy to translate.
See Posts 1319 and 1320

You can get PRS+ here

HTH
Mark
Sounds very interesting. Thank you Mark!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both, so the idea is to translate it myself..never thought about that..
I could use the biggest part of the 1.1 firmware I think.

But then.. my dyslectic problem... Now I am making the problem much bigger,so this is not the way I think, but for you the keyword is Telephone,Handy,Cellphone etc.. for me the translation would be: a thing that makes noise when someone is calling me,and when I pick it up I can talk to that person.
A door, would be, A thing that I can open so people can get in or out.
I can look to a cover.. but my translation would be, a leather outlet to put the reader in...
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Thank you both, so the idea is to translate it myself..never thought about that..
I could use the biggest part of the 1.1 firmware I think.

But then.. my dyslectic problem... Now I am making the problem much bigger,so this is not the way I think, but for you the keyword is Telephone,Handy,Cellphone etc.. for me the translation would be: a thing that makes noise when someone is calling me,and when I pick it up I can talk to that person.
A door, would be, A thing that I can open so people can get in or out.
I can look to a cover.. but my translation would be, a leather outlet to put the reader in...
I do feel your pain- and I'm awfully sorry nobody thought about a translation before in languages other than English, French or other more diffused than, say Dutch or Italian, like for other devices.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Thank you Juliette for your understanding,well I hope that someone from the develope forum would give it a try..and if not, my english is not so bad I think,so I can use the reader and I understand the options, and after that it is just having fun reading the books.
Maybe Sony needs more space between 1.1 and 1.2 in memory and maybe thats why they dropped the other languages... and the 505 was never officially sold in the netherlands ( for what I know about it) but it is the same with user manuals for video or tv... it's in all kind of subtropic languages but not in Dutch ..they just guess that we all speak english like we are born with the language.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Thank you Juliette for your understanding,well I hope that someone from the develope forum would give it a try..and if not, my english is not so bad I think,so I can use the reader and I understand the options, and after that it is just having fun reading the books.
Maybe Sony needs more space between 1.1 and 1.2 in memory and maybe thats why they dropped the other languages... and the 505 was never officially sold in the netherlands ( for what I know about it) but it is the same with user manuals for video or tv... it's in all kind of subtropic languages but not in Dutch ..they just guess that we all speak english like we are born with the language.
No, your English is very good! The firmware is also in a decent language, unlike the translations we get for, say, digital tv adapter (so confusing!). And yes, I think it's quite their opinion. Which is a bit of a mess because not everybody knows the language (like my father, for example, who's always struggling with his 505 because he's not sure about what's-going-to-happen-if-I-push-this). Maybe they should rely a bit more on icons, like with remotes (I mean, pre-school kids never had a problem using them! I remember!).

(it was never sold here also, which is a shame because it's a super machine, so it's a bit funny checking the Sony support site and having a big "no, it's not available here" sign and then all the links )
Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Hi Juliette and Nick,

after thinking twice there is a way to have the PRS-505 menus localised to dutch and italian!

PRS-Customizer by JeffElkins will do it for you. PRSCustomizer: Customize and personalize your PRS505 Reader

Both dutch and italian languages are integrated.
Downloadlink is in the refered post.

Nick: You would have to install the 1.1.00.18040 US-firmware before using prs-customizere.

If PRS-Customizer is applied you can change the language within the "About-Page" of Readers Menu. By pressing the "1" key
with "0" the clock in the lower right corner will be toggled.

PS: On the other hand the dutch and italian translation in PRS-Customizer's "main.xlm" as well as the dutch expressions in the PRS-600 menus could be used as a basic for translating PRS+, at least for the "sony-stuff" menus.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Hi Juliette and Nick,

after thinking twice there is a way to have the PRS-505 menus localised to dutch and italian!

PRS-Customizer by JeffElkins will do it for you. PRSCustomizer: Customize and personalize your PRS505 Reader

Both dutch and italian languages are integrated.
Downloadlink is in the refered post.

Nick: You would have to install the 1.1.00.18040 US-firmware before using prs-customizere.
But then I have to downgrade, I don't think thats possible ( I have firmware 1.2)
Correct me if I am wrong please.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #11
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
But then I have to downgrade, I don't think thats possible ( I have firmware 1.2)
Correct me if I am wrong please.
It is not downgrade, it's just a version-number-fluffy, you will not lose any functionality!
It can be done, and was done many times with porkupan / boroad special updater build, suggested by kartu here.
Or get it direct here
The only change in this "special build" is a tweaked version number, so that the installation will take place with any installed firmware.

Alternatively it can be done manual, see dpierron post here

BTW: at the moment PRS-Customizer and PRS+ are concurent, you can't have both without manual integrating the PRS+ startup-Code to the costomizer scripts.
But if you are only looking for localized menus Customizer will do the trick.

Last edited by Mark Nord; 08-07-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
Nick_1964
Bookworm

I will certainly look in to this thank you for your patience !
But when I use the prs-optimizer with all the language it says that it is version 1.1
The version 1.2 is only english.
What is the difference between the firmware ?
Is it only: 1.1 all the languages
1.2 only english
1.3 only french ?

Normally a higher number means changes in functuality,bug fixes so 1.2 would be better then 1.1
In this case the number after the decimal point only means another language (but is in fact a limited 1.1 without the languages ? )
Am I understand this correct ??

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-07-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

You are right,
the numbers only specify the language.
(and version 1.4 is german, just to have this complete)
No significant / if any updates are included in the higher versions, beside some localization code. (See here if you are interested in)

It is proof of file, that you lose no functionality if you install the 1.1.00.1840 US version.

prs-customizer is no "official firmware", it is a set of hacks and patches,
e.g. Porkupan's localization javascripts, which will be integrated into the original scripts to add functionality.
In the end providing a preconfigured Univeral-Flasher to "flash" the changed/modified files to your PRS-505.

Last edited by Mark Nord; 08-07-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
Nick_1964
Bookworm

I now have a window:
Reader: firmware did not complete succesfully.
No posibility to reboot, it bricked.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #15
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
I now have a window:
Reader: firmware did not complete succesfully.
No posibility to reboot, it bricked.
This shoudn't happen, and it is virtual impossible to brick a 505.

Try these to unbirck the device:
Recovering From Catastrophic Failure (Unbricking) both extracted form the wiki-pages

A)
Recovering a brick

Note: Some have reported that this does not work. Then try solution B)

1. You're stuck at "Reader starting up"
2. Paperclip the reset button then slide the power toggle.
3. When the screen goes blank, quickly connect the PC usb cable.
The Reader should reboot and show the USB connect in a minute or so, then you can use the Sony Updater to reflash your Reader.

Hint: if the reader is seen by the PC, check the drive refering to readers internal memory, run CHKDSK on it and free as much memory as possible

Solution B)
If you manage to completely brick the device to where it cannot boot at all (remains at "Starting up..." page indefinitely), you will need to do the following to recover to the factory flash image.

1. Charge the device overnight to make sure it has enough power for the recovery process. (or use a externeal wall-charger)
2. Use a paper clip or pin to depress the reset button in the small hole on the back of the unit. Turn the unit on.
3. Wait until the "Starting up..." page is displayed for a few seconds and you see the orange LED blinking. Just count like 3 to 4 sec. from the moment you see the LED blinking.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 ten times.
5. On the tenth reset let the Reader boot and after a few minutes the message "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again." will be displayed.
6. Connect the USB cable and the device will automatically go into recovery ("Updating firmware now...") mode.
7. Flash the device with the original PRS500 updater.

( 8. Make sure you have installed the original Connect Library software that came with the CD. The drivers in Calibre or from a more recent version of the Connect Library software may not let the Firmware updater recognise the device properly, so make sure you are using the original drivers from the CD.
9. Always check if there is not a newer version. This is version 1.0.03.07170. )

Sorry that you face problems, good luck!

Last edited by Mark Nord; 08-07-2010 at 06:40 AM.