Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #2206
makunc1
makunc1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Keyboard
Unhappy Please HELP! Uninstall not working.

Have a 3G Kindle Keyboard running 3.3 with Fonts Hack 4.9, SS Hack .25 and Jailbreak .10 running. Need to uninstall before returning to amazon (they are sending me another due to screen issues). I am having loads of trouble even after following all directions. I am getting Error U007 messages left and right after trying to place correct uninstall folders in the root directory and then updating the Kindle. Please HELP. Thought I was doing everything right but nothing is working correctly.

Thanks, I have searched this forum and tried all suggestions but nothing seems to be working for me. Am I missing something stupid?

Michael
makunc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #2207
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@makunc1: You probably tried to uninstall the jailbreak first. Don't. Keep it 'til you don't have anything else to uninstall. (ie. reinstall the jailbreak, uninstall tour hacks, then uninstall the jailbreak).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #2208
makunc1

@NiLuJe - thanks for your help. Got the same errors when trying to "reinstall" the jailbreak.. I don't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@makunc1: You probably tried to uninstall the jailbreak first. Don't. Keep it 'til you don't have anything else to uninstall. (ie. reinstall the jailbreak, uninstall tour hacks, then uninstall the jailbreak).
Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #2209
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@makunc1: Restart your Kindle, then try again.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2210
makunc1

@NiLuJe - how do I know if I sill have the jailbreak on there or whether i should start with the uninstall of the screensaver and font hacks?

Quote:
@makunc1: Restart your Kindle, then try again.
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #2211
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@makunc1: It'll fail with a U007 error if the jailbreak isn't properly installed. The uninstall order doesn't have any impact, as long as the last one you uninstall is the jailbreak.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #2212
makunc1

NiLuJe - OK, I am at a loss, I did exactly what u said, it did fail with a U007, so I tried restarting and then installing 3g jailbreak again and for a U004 error. I'm pulling my hair out of my head

Quote:
@makunc1: It'll fail with a U007 error if the jailbreak isn't properly installed. The uninstall order doesn't have any impact, as long as the last one you uninstall is the jailbreak.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #2213
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@makunc1: Wrong jailbreak, if you're on FW >= 3.2.1, use the -3.2.1 .bin file .
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #2214
makunc1

NiLuJe - ok that worked, now lets see if the other uninstalls work. ... when i eventually uninstall the jailbreak, what uninstall file do i use? there is no corresponding 3.2.1 uninstall.

Quote:
@makunc1: Wrong jailbreak, if you're on FW >= 3.2.1, use the -3.2.1 .bin file .
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #2215
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@makunc1: Because there's no need for a specific one in the uninstall case. Just use the regular one.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #2216
makunc1

@NiLuJe , I think its done but I still have some files that I am wondering if they should be there. How do I know if the jailbreak is off the kindle for good? Ans what files can I manually delete?

Quote:
@makunc1: Because there's no need for a specific one in the uninstall case. Just use the regular one.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #2217
falconz
falconz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Help!! I installed the jailbreak and screensaver hack months ago and never had a problem. I installed the font hack today and afterwards wasn't able to access the Settings or Experimental page. I took off the fonts and was able to use the Kindle regularly. I figured that I uploaded the fonts incorrectly, so I downloaded a font pack and then put it on my Kindle. Now my Kindle won't wake up at all!

It is fully charged and I have reset the Kindle by way of the power switch at least 3 times. I plugged my Kindle into my computer in hopes of removing the fonts, but since my Kindle won't wake up, my computer won't recognize it. What do I do at this point? I would prefer to not have to send it back to Amazon.
falconz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #2218
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@makunc1: Yep, you can safely remove the link* folders once everything's uninstalled.

@falconz: What *exactly* happens after a hard reboot (holding the power switch ~15s)?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #2219
falconz
falconz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
@NiLuJe, the screen would go to my screensaver. I have a password on my Kindle, so after a successful reboot, the screen would show my screensaver and the box asking for my password. It wasn't doing that. Since the hard reboots weren't working and there was no way for me to change the files on my Kindle, I figured the best thing to do was contact Amazon Customer Support, and they decided the next solution was to just replace my Kindle.

Even though I'm getting a new Kindle, I still have some questions. Do these hacks work on the Kindle 3 3.3 firmware? I installed the jailbreak and screensaver hacks before my Kindle was updated, and the font hack afterwards. Is that maybe way the font hack didn't quite work for me?
falconz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #2220
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@falconz: Yep, they do (work fine, that is. The issue(s) with the fonts hack are known, and documented in the first post, with details about what to do/not do/how to workaround them).

Quote:
Again, if you're having issues with the Fonts hack (missing fonts, blank pages/menu, ...), do try to use one of the new freetype override settings! In the same vein, disable your Kindle's password before switching fonts, there's been reports that a messed up font will prevent the password box from popping up, in which case you won't be able to unlock your device... And that probably means a hard reset to factory defaults will be needed to clear things up, and that's never fun ;'(.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet