Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
Sinac
Sinac began at the beginning.

Device: none
Debian 9.8 VM: Calibre install, import error: undefined symbol: crypt_r

Hi everyone,

When using VirtualBox 6.0.4 I can't install Calibre any more in a Debian 9.8 VM. The installer fails with:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 77, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui_launch.py", line 73, in calibre
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/VBoxOGLcrutil.so: undefined symbol: crypt_r

The error occurs with version 3.37/38/39/39.1.

The only way to get Calibre installed again is to revert VirtualBox to 5.2.22.

I've been using Calibre for years, and almost always in a VM. There was never such an issue. I wonder why the Calibre installer wants to import a VBox library, but then I'm not a Python guy.

Help would be highly appreciated, because I really need to get Calibre to work again, I can't stick with that old VBox version for ever.

Thanks in advance.
Sinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not try to import vbox libraries. Some system library is linked against that library causing your issues. Use LD_DEBUG to find out which library.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
Sinac

Okay. Thanks for the tip. I'll try, but it'll take me some time to set it up. I'll report back as soon as I've the results.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Sinac

Hiya, finally. It's a VirtualBox bug will be solved in the next release, at least that's what the bug report says: (Vbox guest additions: missing shared library dependency -> fixed after (not in) 6.0.4 and in test builds)