Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
Chan66
Chan66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Is this a good deal?

Hello,
I'm new here. After much research, and trying to decide between a PW3 or Voyage, I ordered my first e reader today, Kindle PW3 from Amazon for $84. Brand new. Was this a good deal?
Price? I also got a Fintie folio book style case for protection. But I really don't want to read on it in a case. Would a sleeve serve me better? Do I need a case? Help! Just t need feedback that I made the right choices for the right price.
Chan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'd say that's a pretty good deal, considering I paid $50 for a refurbed PW2 from Woot, late last year.

The PW2, at least, seems rugged and well built, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about the PW3 build quality. I have a case, and while I CAN remove it from the case, it is difficult enough that it's easier to just read with it on. If you think you'd prefer a sleeve, I'd say go for it. These things aren't REALLY for protection when you are using it so much as they are for protection when you aren't using it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
Chan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'd say that's a pretty good deal, considering I paid $50 for a refurbed PW2 from Woot, late last year.

The PW2, at least, seems rugged and well built, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about the PW3 build quality. I have a case, and while I CAN remove it from the case, it is difficult enough that it's easier to just read with it on. If you think you'd prefer a sleeve, I'd say go for it. These things aren't REALLY for protection when you are using it so much as they are for protection when you aren't using it.
Awesome,
Thanks for your responce. I can't wait to get it
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I just got a PW in white color and paid $119 at best buy so if its new you got a good deal. I still say Voyage is the best of the 2.

ebay has great covers. I bought a cover for $8.99 and it looks exactly like amazons leather casebot but faux leather. ( For my oasis) I bought it in 2 different colors and I stil paid less than one amazon case.

I was kinda stupid and paid the $44 for the purple leather amazon case for my paperwhite when I should have gone to ebay for that also

Last edited by HLS; 04-01-2018 at 10:53 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I just got a PW in white color and paid $119 at best buy so if its new you got a good deal. I still say Voyage is the best of the 2.

ebay has great covers. I bought a cover for $8.99 and it looks exactly like amazons leather casebot but faux leather. ( For my oasis) I bought it in 2 different colors and I stil paid less than one amazon case.

I was kinda stupid and paid the $44 for the purple leather amazon case for my paperwhite when I should have gone to ebay for that also
i get PW black and paid $99.99 and i get this case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0I6D20
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
Chan66

Sweet. Will the PW 3 arrive with all of the latest updates? And I have a 2016 Kindle Fire HD 8 with Kindle unlimited app. I have many books on it...can I send them to the PW3? If so how?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan66 View Post
Sweet. Will the PW 3 arrive with all of the latest updates? And I have a 2016 Kindle Fire HD 8 with Kindle unlimited app. I have many books on it...can I send them to the PW3? If so how?

When you turn on and register your paperwhite and connect to the internet it will automatically show all your kindle books in your library you will just have to tap on them to download to your kindle. Any side loaded books not purchased from amazon you will have to add yourself.

In general they do not have the current updates. I suggest you let it sit connected to the internet for about 20-30 minutes before downloading your books. My experience is it takes about that long for the device to automatically take the latest updates also the book thumbnails load better when you do this. Also charge it up for it takes a lot of battery power when you download your entire library

Last edited by HLS; 04-02-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
Chan66

Ok thank you. I'm new at all of this and have many questions. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard

One issue I had was my thumbnails some will show blank which drove me fricken nuts. I had to reset it, let it sit untouched for a bit , scroll around, before downloading to get the thumbnail images to show up
Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have both a Paperwhite 3 and a Voyage. For a while I preferred the Voyage because it just felt better holding it. While it's only about an ounce or two less than the Paperwhite the Voyage in it's case weighs about half as much as the Paperwhite in it's case. I do like using cases because opening the cover to wake it up is so easy.

After a while I began to realize that I accidentally touched the screen and turned the page a lot more with the Voyage. So now my feelings about the two are more even.

I'm not sure I ever really thought the Voyage was worth the price difference even when I preferred it, but at this point I'm pretty sure my next Kindle will be a Paperwhite and not a Voyage.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:55 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hello,
I'm new here. After much research, and trying to decide between a PW3 or Voyage, I ordered my first e reader today, Kindle PW3 from Amazon for $84. Brand new. Was this a good deal?
Price? I also got a Fintie folio book style case for protection. But I really don't want to read on it in a case. Would a sleeve serve me better? Do I need a case? Help! Just t need feedback that I made the right choices for the right price.
Personally, I prefer a case to a sleeve. I haven't had the experience myself but I've seen several messages from people who have damaged their ereader when they had it out of its sleeve by dropping something on the screen, knocking it off a table or other mishap.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard

Sleve would be good if you got the champagne gold and want to enjoy the color
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Hello,
A. Yes, it's a good deal.
B. I won't use my PW without it's Amazon case but whether you want to use a case or not is totally up to you. For me, the Amazon Paperwhite case is the best but it is expensive.

Of course, there are people here who use their Kindle with no case or sleeve, others use a case, others use a sleeve, some like Amazon Kindle cases and others like other cases. Absolutely no one can say what's right for you and if you enjoy reading on your Kindle you made the right decision.

For me, the Paperwhite is the best Kindle E-Reader made but other prefer the Voyage or the Oasis.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
Chan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A. Yes, it's a good deal.
B. I won't use my PW without it's Amazon case but whether you want to use a case or not is totally up to you. For me, the Amazon Paperwhite case is the best but it is expensive.

Of course, there are people here who use their Kindle with no case or sleeve, others use a case, others use a sleeve, some like Amazon Kindle cases and others like other cases. Absolutely no one can say what's right for you and if you enjoy reading on your Kindle you made the right decision.

For me, the Paperwhite is the best Kindle E-Reader made but other prefer the Voyage or the Oasis.
Great! Thank you for all of your input. I just got it, and at first thought, men In gonna return it. I felt this way for a few days. Now? NOPE! It's a keeper! I'm on my third book. I love it! And it looks spool awesome outside. This is perfect for me. I'm glad a chose the paperwhite. I don't miss the buttons on the Voyage as it is super easy to just tap the screen and it's really easy to hold one handed. I kept the finti e folio book style case and it is spool cool and easy to hold one handed also. I LOVE THE PW3!
Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Chan66

Ok, and typos...lol spool should be Coo!!