Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
jenrar
Connoisseur
jenrar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Black bars over text when converting epub to mobi

Hi all,

I just ran into a problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I took screenshots of the original ePUB and the same text after converting to MOBI. I'm sure there's a setting I can change or something...I hope. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	157118   Click image for larger version

Name:	converted mobi.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	157119  
jenrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Validate the original EPUB. I suspect there are CSS or inline style errors (the reversed 'chapter' was never properly cleared.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
jenrar
Connoisseur

Hmm. Okay. Will see if I can figure out how to do that. *off to user manual* Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Unless you have a very old Kindle converting your epub to an AZW3 book might take care of your problem.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
jenrar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unless you have a very old Kindle converting your epub to an AZW3 book might take care of your problem.
I use the Kindle for PC/Android apps. I tried this, though, and then converted the AZW3 to mobi, and still the black bars.

Still trying to figure out how to validate the epub. heh
Advert
Old 05-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrar View Post
Still trying to figure out how to validate the epub. heh
Use the IDPF validator.

Also open your epub with the Calibre Editor and click the Run Check link.

Last edited by Doitsu; 05-30-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
jenrar
Connoisseur

Oooook. So...ran the validator and got a bunch of errors:

Error while parsing file 'attribute "xmlU0003Alang" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"'.

Error while parsing file 'attribute "style" not allowed here; expected attribute "dir", "lang", "version" or "xml:lang"'.

Error while parsing file 'value of attribute "id" is invalid; must be an XML name without colons'.

A lot of each of those.

LOL Now what? *cry* haha Ugh.

I appreciate the time you've taken. This is going to be above me to fix. I think I'll just leave it an epub. heh
Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can always try an ePub to ePub conversion in Calibre and then convert to a Kindle format. Not saying it'll fix things, but would be a quick & dirty thing to try.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
jenrar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can always try an ePub to ePub conversion in Calibre and then convert to a Kindle format. Not saying it'll fix things, but would be a quick & dirty thing to try.
Ohhhh! I don't know if it was that or the option that I checked to remove colors from the background and foreground or both, but it worked!

Thank you all so much!