Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
Use android phone as wifi remote for kindle

This is inspired by @coplate idea.

On kindle a small daemon program listens to a port then turns page accordingly. It should work on all touch devices, but I only tested on my PW3.

While @coplate builds a dedicated button as remote, I decided to use an Android phone. The android app monitors key input and sends command to kindle. It's written in C, CLI only, requires root access and need some work to set it up, however it has a small footprint, supports all kind of hardware buttons, and most important, it works when phone is locked/screen off, making it a practical solution for wifi remote.

Check README.txt in attachment for setup instructions. Source code is also included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip android-wifi-remote-kindle-en.zip (29.1 KB, 167 views)
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Thanks! This looks very interesting.

I think it would make my many kindles with broken screens useful if I do this for all keys, buttons and touchscreen, and pass the framebuffer back to the host PC, for full VNC-like remote control in a deeper and simpler "bare metal" way.

A "headless" kindle. I like it!

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-26-2016 at 03:05 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Cool, this seems like a neater version of this thing I made 3 years ago
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215558

I'm really happy more people are doing stuff with remote page turning!
Thanks for the work
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
haha!

Mine was definitely inspired by yours zxczxc - I just wanted to take the phone aspect out of it, when I saw these fancy new wifi microcontrollers.

And now it looks like lucida and folks are making progress on the usb mouse support, and a wireless mouse / presenter remote would be really cool, and more off-the-shelf.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
oh yeah - the usb mouse stuff looks like it is fully functional, very cool!
i'm just about to set it up today!
it's great when people do this stuff. next step for someone will be doing this via the bluetooth amazon seem to be including, maybe in 5 years amazon will get the hint and add an actual optional remote
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
@z With a firmware update for FireTV this may be possible sooner than expected. Logitech Harmony should also support it. Touch screens could be out-dated soon
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote