Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
File formats

How do you get Calibre to show the file format of a book, converted or not?

I save HTML as PDF and convert to epub, and BOTH formats will be listed on the right, but in the main listing with the columns neither format is mentioned.

PDF always wants a cover and I don't. There is no cover page on a recipe. Once I get the conversion to epub, I can simply delete the cover.

I need to make sure that the document/book I'm transferring is in epub. I don't trust it if no file format is listed in the columns.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post

I save HTML as PDF and convert to epub, and BOTH formats will be listed on the right, but in the main listing with the columns neither format is mentioned.

PDF always wants a cover and I don't. There is no cover page on a recipe. Once I get the conversion to epub, I can simply delete the cover.

I need to make sure that the document/book I'm transferring is in epub. I don't trust it if no file format is listed in the columns.
1) PDF as a convert Middle ground just plain sucks
Good HTML will make a fine EPUB without the negatives introduced by PDF

All Formats show in details pane and Info popup
Calibre does not have any indicator on which format you started with although hovering over the format in the Metadata edit will give a timestamp

I made a custom column (text of preset values) to MANUALLY record the input format> you can make one (tag type) for other if you must have a visible column.

Send to device will offer to convert an existing format (preferences: Behavior sets the priority) if a format compatible to the device (you can also configure the driver for priority) if it does not exist
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post

@Alpha o - rather than converting HTML->PDF->EPUB, I suggest you import the HTML into the book-editor... do any necessary tidying up, making it look 'nice', etc... and then save as EPUB.

Then if you need PDF, convert the EPUB to PDF.

If you want to see formats in the book list, use Preferences->Add your own columns->click green +->click the blue 'Formats'. That will create the necessary custom column. But its the same 'data' that's displayed in the book details sidebar or the book info window.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-09-2015 at 08:19 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is, I can't save web pages. For some reason, the save page as command doesn't. (I'm using Pale Moon)

The extension "save as epub" doesn't work, either - so all that's left is an extension for pdf directly from browser.

If I could save a web page directly, I would use HTML.

The only other alternative is copy the whole page and paste it into Libre Office.
Calibre says it deals with ODT which is Libre, but it formats funny. Even there, export as pdf works better.

I can edit the pdf. I have Adobe Illustrator which will edit page by page.

If I convert, I also want to delete what I converted from - mostly pdf, some txt. I want to make sure the file that is left after I deleted the pdf is epub. I don't want the device retaining the pdf format at all.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Alpha o - I respectfully suggest that you use a mainstream browser. They can all save HTML, and there are even add ins that will create an EPUB directly... Grabmybooks, dotEPUB come to mind.

The problem with 'optimised' bric-a-brac like Pale Moon is that a feature that was removed to create the so-called optimal browser will often as not be the very feature one needs to get a job done.

This shows you the best formats to convert ==>> What are the best source formats to convert? - PDF is at the bottom of the list.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-10-2015 at 12:04 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Alpha o
Addict

No thanks. I don't want FX since Australis and I won't use Chrome. I haven't touched IE since version 4. Opera has gone to the dogs, too.

I have SRWIron and it does save so I'll just use that incognito. It's a non-nosey Chrome clone.

It's probably one of the FX privacy extensions. Pale Moon uses the same FX extensions, so I might just have the same problem on FX, anyway.

This just started since the last update of either PM, NoScript, Adblock Edge and/or Ghostery. Could also be the HTML5 blocker. I hate videos that run when you open a page.

I'm doing recipes, not books, so it's usually only one page. I can edit HTML.