Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
nikosal
nikosal began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just a few books - but huge portion of internal memory occupied?

I have installed CC 3.3.6 in my kit kat 4.4.2 LG vpad 500 tablet. I have moved all the large files (like cbrs, pdfs...) in the external sd card and only use internal memory for epubs/mobis, that all together total less than 5 MB. Still, when I check settings>internal storage>apps>calibre companion I get a huuuge 886 MB (8.45 for the app itself, 877 for the data).

Now, what of the following is true?
a) although it says 877 MB in internal memory, not all of these 877 are really there, most of them are at the external SD card. So actually, CC doesn't occupy 877 of my internal memory (this would be nice!)
b) since these files (pdfs, cbrs) were initially in the internal memory, moving them didn't clear the space
c) something else?
nikosal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's something slightly amiss there, to be sure. I have over 3000 books in the CC library on my Onyx T68, and it's using only 67MB of storage space. The books themselves are using 3.5GB on the external SD card.

Edit: Interestingly, the same library on my Nexus 7 is using 355MB of storage, compared to 67MB on the T68. Chaley, why would storing the same number of books on two different devices use such different amounts of storage? Just curious.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-13-2014 at 08:18 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that kitkat devices count the "special" SD card area as part of the storage used by the app. After all, one of the reasons that Google made the SD card change was to know what data goes with which app. I can't test this because I don't own a device with a removable SD card.

I can say with certainty that CC does not store books in invisible folders. If the Calibre_Companion folder (or whatever you last used for book storage) in internal memory is empty then the only thing CC has in internal storage is its database and settings. The DB runs around 5K per book, depending on your cover size and compression.

@HarryT: this guess is corroborated if the T68 is not running Android 4.4.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The T68 is running Android 4.0, and has an SD card. This is the device on which it claims that the CC app is using 67MB.

The Nexus is running Android 4.4 (Kit Kat), but does not have an external SD card - just internal storage. On the Nexus it claims to be using 355MB.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just checked, and on the T68 I have 2845 books, and it claims to be using 4.02MB for the app, and 62.2MB for data, so that works out at about 22k per book.

I was looking at the wrong setting on the Nexus, sorry. On the Nexus I have 4187 books, and it's using 101MB of storage: 8.45MB for the app, and 93MB for data, so that's again 22k per book.

At least it's consistent, other than the slightly curious fact that the app itself is using twice as much storage on the Nexus as on the T68 (8.45MB vs. 4.02MB).

Last edited by HarryT; 07-13-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Advert
Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The T68 is running Android 4.0, and has an SD card. This is the device on which it claims that the CC app is using 67MB.

The Nexus is running Android 4.4 (Kit Kat), but does not have an external SD card - just internal storage. On the Nexus it claims to be using 355MB.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the total used on the T68 is 67MB + 3.5GB on the SD card, while on the N7 the total is 355MB.

My understanding is that KitKat counts storage as part of an app if that storage is in one of the "special" folders. The "Calibre_Companion" folder is not such a folder. It probably is the same size as the SD card folder on the T68.

That leaves us with the difference between 67MB and 355MB. If the libraries are identical, then the only variable I know of is cover size. Switching to large covers can easily increase the space used by 30kb to 40kb per book. Depending on the activity, one of the databases might be full of holes left by android during updates, something that would be fixed by "cleaning" the DB in CC. Beyond these two things, I don't have a clue.

-------

Just saw your second post. 22K per book should indicate that you are using medium or large cover thumbs. Are you?

As for the space taken by the app, Android reconstructs the app when it installs it, adding code to connect the app to the current Android version. I think you are seeing the differences in the sizes of this "helper code".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the total used on the T68 is 67MB + 3.5GB on the SD card, while on the N7 the total is 355MB.
Sorry, Chaley, please ignore the 355MB figure. I was looking at the wrong screen on Android: Data usage (ie network traffic) rather than storage.

I have cover size set to the default of "Normal".

At least data figures are consistent so that's fine.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-13-2014 at 10:44 AM.