Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Jeff Mariotte
Jeff Mariotte began at the beginning.

Device: laptop computer
New Writer Here

I guess I should clarify that--I'm not a new writer, I'm an old writer. But I'm new here. And, lest you ask, I'm pretty old, at least by my calendar.

I'm the author of 46 published novels (most from major houses like Penguin, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, etc., and some from smaller publishers like IDW Publishing and Malevolent Books). Recently I've begun self-publishing as well, to try to diversify my output and income. I've also written a handful of nonfiction books, a little bit of journalism, and at last count, 133 comic books and graphic novels, most for DC Comics, Image Comics, and IDW Publishing.

In addition to all that, I'm an owner of a specialty bookstore (Mysterious Galaxy, with locations in San Diego and Redondo Beach, CA) that mostly sells mystery & suspense, science fiction & fantasy, horror/paranormal, and related works.

And I've worked in publishing for decades, as a VP of Marketing and senior editor and editor-in-chief. These days I'm doing some freelance editing.

So really, there are very few areas of the book biz that I haven't had experience with--except the digital end. I'm here to learn a bit about that side of things, and maybe to share my experience with print if there's any call for it.

Looks like a great site, and I look forward to getting to know folks!

Jeff
Jeff Mariotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome Jeff, sounds like you have some significant experience in the traditional publishing and bookselling business.

There are always a number of discussions going as far as the "future of publishing" or something like it. Your knowledge of the industry would be welcomed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Jeff and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Hello and welcome to MR!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Jeff Mariotte
Jeff Mariotte began at the beginning.

Device: laptop computer
Thanks, folks! It's been a hectic week but I hope to have time to explore/converse over this weekend (and beyond).
Jeff Mariotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
madcap
madcap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Welcome Jeff!

Hi Jeff. I just joined myself. This looks like a great forum. I am very impressed by your experience. I look forward to your comments.
madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote