Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
dustwindbun
dustwindbun began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
crash - killtimers error with Calibre 8.50 fresh install

Hi! I'm trying to get Calibre to run without crashing on startup. I've been working with it since v8.43, and getting the same errors. I was getting the font errors, but have cleaned that up. Now, with a fresh install (completely uninstalled, deleted the library entirely, deleted the program folder, and ran a registry cleanup) of 8.50, I am still getting the object:killtimers error that other people have mentioned with older versions.

Specs:
Windows XP SP3
v8.50
no antivirus installed
Calibre is 'allowed' in Windows Firewall

I'm not sure what else to try. Calibre in every version so far runs great on my other computer (a newer XP netbook). Is this computer just too old, even though I've kept up with all of its updates?

Suggestions, please?
dustwindbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
dustwindbun

I have just uninstalled/deleted associated folders/run registry cleaning and installed v8.51. Still getting the same error. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
dustwindbun

I have also determined that the portable version also crashes in the same way.

Come on, no one has any ideas?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From looking at other folks who have had issues with KillTimers error messages, quite often there have been corrupted fonts in their Windows fonts directory.

Try cleaning that up...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's nothing to do with your problem, but just a comment that having no AV software installed on a PC is really not a very good idea!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
dustwindbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
From looking at other folks who have had issues with KillTimers error messages, quite often there have been corrupted fonts in their Windows fonts directory.

Try cleaning that up...
I actually already did this a couple of versions ago. This is a fresh install after cleaning up the corrupted fonts, then completely uninstalling, removing the registry entries, and deleting program folders, then downloading the latest version. The only error listed in my debug is now the killtimers error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's nothing to do with your problem, but just a comment that having no AV software installed on a PC is really not a very good idea!
I removed it as part of the diagnostic for crash errors as recommended by the user manual. It did not appear to make a difference.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Without calibre running try deleting the calibre settings folder. Once it is deleted run calibre, this will give you all new default settings. I suspect though it is still a font problem.

If this doesn't work a clean install of your OS might be required.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
dustwindbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Without calibre running try deleting the calibre settings folder. Once it is deleted run calibre, this will give you all new default settings. I suspect though it is still a font problem.
I have done this twice. No change.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwindbun View Post
I have done this twice. No change.
I am curious about one thing, does it work if you boot in safe mode?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
dustwindbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I am curious about one thing, does it work if you boot in safe mode?
No, same error.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwindbun View Post
No, same error.
Unfortunately this error is unique to your machine and you may have to do a fresh OS install or go to a restore point some time ago to get it to work.

One last alternative, you may be able to run it in a virtual install of Windows.

Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
dustwindbun

Oof, I was afraid of that! I guess I'll just leave it for now - I've got another machine happily running it, and the one with the trouble is due to be replaced soon anyway. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Tags
kill timers