Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
[Old Thread] Bulk Converting Experiences

I have just aquired a Sony Reader and I am in the process of converting my collection of ebooks into .lrf format. I have found Calibre the best tool for this. I have been using Calibre to update the metadata and then running the conversion as a bulk job overnight. There are quite a few error messages, where files cannot be converted etc., it would be a nice feature if these could be put in a log file, especially when the bulk conversion is selected.
Another observation is that there are a number of files which are skipped, the "jobs" screen shows them as waiting, but nothing is happening. Manually stopping the jobs removes them from the list, but the hourglass keeps turning and the number of jobs remains at the outstanding amount. In all other aspects the software responds as if it has completed the tasks, other commands are accepted.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The error messages are logged, just double click on the job name to see the log. As for the zombie jobs, that's a long standing bug in calibre's job control system that will only be squashed when I get around to rewriting the job control system
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Sorry, I may not have been very clear in my post. I can see that there was a message logged for each error, what I thought would have been useful was a single log for the bulk process. Or did I miss this somewhere? After converting some 1500 files there are a few errors. What I was hoping for was something I could print or save and then review the books individually.
Calibre is a great piece of software and I am learning more about it all the time. It's made converting my library a lot less of a chore than I was expecting.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
i just experianced this same issue and was wondering if a log if a msaster log list of the books attempted and failed has been created yet for a bulk conversion
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Please do NOT open threads that are 2 years old, they have absolutely no bearing on current versions of calibre or what you might be experiencing.

Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinaka View Post
i just experianced this same issue and was wondering if a log if a msaster log list of the books attempted and failed has been created yet for a bulk conversion
If you click on the jobs listing in the lower right corner you can see every job that ran. scroll down the list and you can open the details of the jobs that failed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
i realize that but then you have the issue of having to scroll through that list to find an error.

I'm bulk converting 3000 jobs at a time for a total of 18,500.

In the jobs list you cannot re-sort by error in order to be able to copy out to a file out and sort alphabetically (perhaps add the ability to sort the job screen)

so that i can then go back and work on those files reading down a list. It would be nice if all the erros got spit out to a sepperate log file perhaps a .txt or what not

Last edited by penguinaka; 04-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote