Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Library order

Please excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked and answered elsewhere but, to be honest (which seems to imply that I am not normally honest! ), as soon as I see tweaks and plugins a mist comes down.

What I would like to see in my Library listing is:
1. Author in alphabetical order (no problem)
1.1. Books not in a series, in alphabetical book title
1.2 Books in a series, in series sequence number

The way that I have achieved it is by initially sorting by series (which puts them in sequence order within series) and then sorting by author. This gives me what I am looking for but I wondered if there was a one-step way of achieving it that would automatically come on when Calibre starts.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and even more thanks in anticipation of some replies to the effect of "easy-peasy you daft old git!"
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
Please excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked and answered elsewhere but, to be honest (which seems to imply that I am not normally honest! ), as soon as I see tweaks and plugins a mist comes down.

The way that I have achieved it is by initially sorting by series (which puts them in sequence order within series) and then sorting by author. This gives me what I am looking for but I wondered if there was a one-step way of achieving it that would automatically come on when Calibre starts.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and even more thanks in anticipation of some replies to the effect of "easy-peasy you daft old git!"
Look in Preferences: Tweaks
There is a section for that, configuration notes appear when that tweak is selected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
as soon as I see tweaks and plugins a mist comes down.
Get ready for the mist
In tweaks use:
Code:
sort_columns_at_startup = [('authors', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0)]

Last edited by Starson17; 03-09-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: fixed omitted title in sort order
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
as soon as I see tweaks and plugins a mist comes down.

~...~
I wondered if there was a one-step way of achieving it that would automatically come on when Calibre starts.
Yes there is but you need to set a tweak under preferences - tweaks. I use the following which does exactly what you want.

sort_columns_at_startup = (('authors', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0))

See attached image for clarity.

I included a image of a second tweak that will ensure your books in your library are not sorted on the articles (A/The/An). An example would be "The Client" would sort under C not T if library order is selected in the second tweak. If you like it sorting on T then ignore the second tweak.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booklist_startup_sort.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	68030   Click image for larger version

Name:	library_view_sort.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	68031  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
philandjan
Trainee Old Git

As always, thanks guys.

You never fail to amaze me with both the speed and depth of your knowledge. It makes this forum second to none.

About five millennia ago I put the same question into the Deep Thought computer and all I got was the answer 27 (not even 42!)

Right now, the washing machine has almost finished, which means that I will have a fresh, clean towel ready for my next trip to the Restaurant at The End of the Universe for a few more Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters. Even more pleasing, my ebooks will be sorted in the right order so that I will be able to relax and enjoy the journey.
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
About five millennia ago I put the same question into the Deep Thought computer and all I got was the answer 27 (not even 42!)
That's because it take 7 1/2 million years to get the correct answer.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
philandjan
Trainee Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
That's because it take 7 1/2 million years to get the correct answer.
That's because some of us are impatient and want everything now(ish)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
i am the same as i want author-title-series but i cannot see tweaks anywhere ?
also i need to sort authors a-z,like archer jeffrey ?
thank you.

Last edited by geordiejohn; 03-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.
geordiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post
i am the same as i want author-title-series but i cannot see tweaks anywhere ?
also i need to sort authors a-z,like archer jeffrey ?
thank you.
Go to preferences then use the scroll bar and go to the bottom, you'll find tweaks there.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you very much.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
geordiejohn
Zealot

i have got myself really mixed up now,i have authors,titles but some of the titles are under authors and some of the authors are under titles,is there a way to sort them so all titles and authors are where they should be and the authors are in a-z sorted,sorry but i am confused at the moment?
thank you.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
i have got myself really mixed up now,i have authors,titles but some of the titles are under authors and some of the authors are under titles,is there a way to sort them so all titles and authors are where they should be and the authors are in a-z sorted,sorry but i am confused at the moment?
thank you.
If you have authors listed under title and vice-versa, edit metadata by selecting the book and right click or "e" and hit the button that switches them. Hover over each button and it will tell you what it does.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
geordiejohn
Zealot

can i change using bulk ?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
geordiejohn
Zealot

i have just used the e button and then changed but there is an awful lot to change
Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
can i change using bulk ?
Sure. Select all the books that have title and author swapped and hit the E key. That should open up the bulk metadata edit dialog, you can then select to swap title and author.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote