Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
More than one cover?

Is there a way to add more than one cover to a book in Calibre?
For instance, I'd like to include both a modern and a first edition cover, or maybe both front and back covers.
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
In a word... no
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeat View Post
Is there a way to add more than one cover to a book in Calibre?
For instance, I'd like to include both a modern and a first edition cover, or maybe both front and back covers.
You can edit an EPUB ebook (and other formats) and put any images you want at the front. Calibre won't consider there to be more than one cover, but it may be enough for you. You can also put zip/rar compressed files or CBZ/CBR image based formats into Calibre to hold multiple cover images.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use Sigil to add 'alternate covers' inside the book
I like to have Calibre show the cover as it exists on my 'Dead Tree edition'

So I put the modern covers into the book with Sigil and put the DT version into Calibre Metadata (which Calibre will add to converter books as part of the titlepage)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yes, that's it!
I accidentally added duplicate covers but I didn't know what I did. It was when I used Sigil to edit the text.
That's what I want to do again, but this time do it on purpose, dead tree cover and first edition cover for instance.
I just have to learn how to use Sigil then. I usually edit in a word processor and then convert to epub in Calibre, so I haven't had much use for Sigil so far.
I'll have a play with it now I know it will do what I want.
Thanks
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your work flow sounds strange to me
IMHO

Edit in Word processor.
Save as HTML (filtered)
Import into Calibre
Convert to EPUB
Fine Tune the EPUB in Sigil ( use open with plugin in Calibre to pass it to Sigil)
Validate with Sigil (flightcrew)
Convert to OTHER formats with Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Well to be honest, the only books I've really had to do any editing on were plain text files, just made sense to clean them up in the word processor and import them into calibre for conversion.
All the epubs I've downloaded have been well formatted so I haven't really had much of a reason to use Sigil.
Of course, my formatting standards are pretty low
I find I can comfortably ignore minor errors, so I'm usually quite happy with the output I get from calibre.

Last edited by jamesbeat; 03-11-2011 at 12:04 AM.