Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
robcub
robcub began at the beginning.

Device: ADE
How to explain to people how to read ePubs?

Obvious question but, how do you distribute an ePub to 500 or people and get them to read it?

I have a client who wanted a document to be read on handheld devices so I created an ePub. I have uploaded it to an account at bookworm.oreilly.com .

But he has got back to me as he didn't realize he'd had to download Stanza.

I wonder if all the other handheld devices that can read ePubs need software downloaded to read them? And is there some generic instruction you can give to people in order to access this format?
robcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
No offense to you, but you can't account for stupid...(boss)

Handheld reading devices like Kindle(.mobi not .epub), Kobo, Sony do not need extra software to read epubs, because they are built to do it...

Smart phones, computers, iPad, iPhones etc etc. Do need a third party app to be able to read epub...

iPad = iBooks (why it dosen't come preinstalled is beyond me)
iPhone = Stanza
Computers = Adobe Digital Editions

The list goes on...
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
robcub

Thank you, Adjust. I'm quite surprised there aren't ebook readers installed as standard on the iPad and iPhone because there are plenty of iPad and iPhone users who don't know about their ability to read this format.

What about the best method of delivery of an ePub. Is uploading on bookworm.oreilly.com a good way?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Yes or if its only a company newsletter or some such document, then it maybe easier to simply host the epub on the company website. And just point the user to the URL.

Uploading to bookworm and the like would be, IMO, reserved for books people want to sell the epub commercially
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
They can just go to ibisreader.com
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
No offense to you, but you can't account for stupid...(boss)

Handheld reading devices like Kindle(.mobi not .epub), Kobo, Sony do not need extra software to read epubs, because they are built to do it...
Kindle cannot read ePUB at all. It should not be in the above list. If you want the Kindle audience you cannot release only ePUB as your format. You can submit ePUB to Amazon for conversion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
robcub

Thank you for the responses. Are books uploaded to the Ibis Reader and O'Reilly Bookworm viewable to other users, or do you need the username and password to access the publication?

I have asked this question in their respective forums and contact areas.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Kindle cannot read ePUB at all.
Dale
Isn't that what I said. I was using it as a well known example of a dedicated eReader
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Isn't that what I said. I was using it as a well known example of a dedicated eReader
Well, perhaps that is what you intended but you said this list is an example of dedicated readers that can read ePUB with only a confusing parenthetical phrase after the kindle. The second line implied all.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcub View Post
Thank you for the responses. Are books uploaded to the Ibis Reader and O'Reilly Bookworm viewable to other users, or do you need the username and password to access the publication?
They are account-specific. But you can provide a link and any user can create an account (with Ibis Reader it's as easy as entering an email address and password, and voilà) and add the book to his account.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
robcub

I'm sorry, Jellby, I didn't explain that very well. What I meant was, if I create an account and upload an ePub, is it viewable by anyone? The answer is no, at least for the Ibis site. The ePubs are only for the user.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Unless I had a specific reason to use ePub (like I was actually publishing something for people who used ereaders), I probably wouldn't use ePub to distribute a document to 500 people, most of whom probably have no idea what ePub is.

I'd distribute something more standard, like a Word .doc or a PDF, or if you want to share it from the web, you could create a Google Docs version of the document, make it "public", then send everyone the link. All of these would be viewable from handheld devices (like cell phones), and a .doc or pdf would also be viewable on an ereader (generally).
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
I probably wouldn't use ePub to distribute a document [...] I'd distribute something more standard, like a Word .doc
Isn't that ironic?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I too would suggest using PDF for the described purpose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
1) People can download the file, change the extension from .epub to .zip, unzip it and read in a standard browser (assuming the mobile devices have zip software).

2) I'd also encourage posting the document using the Google docs or just a standard blog or download: Use pdf, rtf/doc format (any word processor can read RTF, some struggle with doc) or good old-fashioned HTML.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote