Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Never had a problem with your reader? Tell the newbies about it!

I'm having a hard time choosing which reader to buy and have posted in a few threads.
I thought this might be a good idea to get a kind of tally going as to which reader has had the least problems.

Obviously I know all electrical stuff breaks down, but it might be interesting to see which ones come out on top.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Certainly never had a single glitch with my Sony 505 since I took sound advice here and bought a mains charger. It's the single most reliable thing in the house (including me). Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Love my Pocketbook 360! I really didn't want a 5 inch screen and was leaning towards a nook (rooted of course). But then I really delved into the PB360 info. And started seeing its true worth. So I bought one and have no qualms with the 5 inch (200dpi) screen. I have zero regrets. Its the perfect ereader in the 5/6 inch screen category. I've spent a lot of hands on hours with the Nook and it just doesn't compare with PB360 mobility and its intuitive OS.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
My Sony PRS-600 has never given me trouble. I got it for Christmas last year and have used it daily since. I like that it's affiliated with the Sony store so I can get bestsellers, but it supports many file formats so I can read books from almost anywhere. The touch screen and dictionary functions are wonderful. People complain about the glare but it doesn't bother me, unless the light is very low, in which case it's hard to read anyway.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Why are you focused on the negative? If any e reader is really junk, I'm sure this forum would be abuzz with chatter about it. If you do happen to get a bad one, well that's the reason for the warranty. My suggestion is to handle as many as you can and see which one you really like and meets your needs.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I believe it is a good way to discard buying options. If one does strike as specially reliable, it might be a bonus in case of doubt.

And coming to the question, I adhere to Guns4Hire's comment. My PB360 has suffered some falls, skated a good meter on the side of the screen (covered by its snap-on cover) and it is subject to the strain of a normal, tending to careless user. However, it's never failed me.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I'm with Guns4Hire and Logseman, I LOVE my PB360. I spent months trying to decide which reader was the right one for me and I am extremely happy with with my Pocketbook. It has done every single thing I wanted it to do straight from the box. I LOVE the file organisation.

I wasn't sure a 5" screen was going to be big enough for me, and I have to admit I haven't given it a chance in portrait orientation, but in landscape orientation it is perfect for me.

I can't recommend it highly enough!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've never had any problems with my Kindles - worked perfectly out of the box. Only had to do a reset a couple of times. No major issues.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
My good "old" lBook V3 aka Hanlin V3 is still te best thing to grab if I'm in for some relaxed ereading. No problems of any kind with this device so far. Currently I'm using Tirwals TripleBoot firmware on it and that's just fine with me.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Thanks for your continuing advice everyone!

@ Stargazertony, I'm not focusing on the negative. I'm simply asking for opinions and advice, both of which the members of this forum have been very forthcoming with.
It's a decision I've been pondering for a while and I'm exploring all the avenues I can think of in my quest for the best reader for me, from people who have far more knowledge and experience than me.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Zero problems with my Cybook Gen3 and my Sony 505 up to today. Tomorrow who knows?...
One more for the sustainability of eBook readers... they go and go and go... just like pBooks...
Hell... that's why we have a mature tech already... one just concentrates on getting the best from the content and forgets the form!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I love my Pocketbook 360 too! I discovered that the 5" screen size is actually much more comfortable to hold in my hand for extended reading. Now my PRS-600 and especially my PRS-900 feel *so* heavy.

Plus, while Pocketbook 360 doesn't have every feature I want, it is by far the most customizable reader and gets regular support from the manufacturer. Twice I have left it at work when I wasn't going to be in for the next 3 days and was forced to use my other readers for that time. And I *missed* it! I'm considering getting a second one, so I have a home and travel one.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have had my 505 for 18 months now. Perhaps 2 x it shut down on me without warning (and when I opened it back up, it was fine, and still on the last page I read) and once it "froze" on me (another very easy fix, just turn off and back on). Oh yeah, and I had a little trouble having drm pdf and epub books from the library on at the same time. That was frustrating. Other than that, no issues whatsoever. I read probably 1-4 hours on it daily, and usually just top it off when I download more books, and plug it into the mains every once in a while, as needed. I love this reader. I wish it werenʻt discontinued.

May not be one of your options, though, as itʻs not as readily available...?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
At the end of last year I bought a Kindle 2 International, and really enjoy reading with it. It also never gave me the slightest problem. In February now I came across a Pocketbook 360, which I bought - thinking to mainly use it while commuting or traveling, because of its size and the ease with which you can open it and close it.

But, ever since I have the Pocketbook, I use it almost exclusively, and the poor Kindle rests neglected on the shelf. Reason being, that books are much easier to organize on the Pocketbook, especially with a large library. Also, with the Pocketbook, you can choose which fonts you like best for reading - that makes a big difference to me in regarding the overall enjoyment. And the "small" 5" screen is really not as small as I had feared, since there is hardly any margin around the text, whereas on the Kindle, for instance, there is a (in comparison) big empty area at the edges of the screen.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Almo99
Banned
Almo99 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'd really like to try an Ipad even though I know it's not solely a reader. The only thing I'm concerned about is, are the touch screens very fragile? I've had my classic ipod for about four years now so I'm not terribly accident prone but I have dropped it. I get worried about investing so much into a reader that's surface is glass. I wanted a kindle when it first came out but this picture kind of turned me off a bit
Apparently the guy sat on his bag accidentally .... so how fragile are these readers.and what's the most skookum brand or model in your opinion.

Cheers
Alice

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 10-28-2010 at 04:08 AM. Reason: spam link removed
Almo99 is offline   Reply With Quote